Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a middle child of a big family. I love having older brothers, who have always spoilt me with their time. I also love having younger siblings to spoil. As a young child I was always taken out to play with older children and it made me feel really grown up to play with older children.

It's the ones closest in age that I didn't get on so well with when we were kids, but now we are adults we are close.

My oldest brother was 30 with a child of his own when my baby brother was born. I think he found it strange that his mum and dad were still having children at the same time as him, but his kids and my baby brother all play (and occasionally fight) like siblings now. There are 5 years between my youngest 2 siblings, so it's nice for my baby brother to have a child his own age to play with.

I think it's all down to the individuals how siblings get on, and not really connected to the age gap. Obviously if older siblings have moved out they are going to spend less time with the younger ones, but that's normal and natural.

ReputationRep:
    There is a 6 year gap between me and my oldest sibling (sister) and a 14 year gap between the oldest and youngest in our family.

I find that I tend to be closer to my brother who is a year younger than me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the oldest at 16, then there's my brother who is 11 and my sister who is 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    Ohhh that makes a lot of sense. Hahah I bet its like having a twin though?

I'm a twin :emo: it sucks.
    Just out of interest, why don't you like being a twin? Do you wind each other up all the time?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the youngest of 3. Got 2 sisters, theres 5 years between each of us. 18 23 and 28. Absolute nightmare being so far apart, were only just starting to be able to properly relate to each other :P

ReputationRep:
    My older brother (half brother) is 11 years older than me. My partners sister is 19 years younger than him, she was something of a surprise addition to the family

ReputationRep:
    my sister is 4 years older than me shes 19

ReputationRep:
    Woah, and I thought my 10 year age gap with my little brother was big!

ReputationRep:
    2 years, 2 months (and 1 day ) between me and brother no 1.
    6 years, 6 months (and 4 days ) between me and brother no 2.

I'm the oldest.

ReputationRep:
    my age gap with my little sister is 12.5 years, but with my oldest sister and her it's 16 years. Pretty big gap but i don't see any 'different' relationship dynamic going on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Just out of interest, why don't you like being a twin? Do you wind each other up all the time?
    Haha yeah we do! It's really competitive between us and people get us mixed up so much that they just call both of us 'twin'. :rant: Lazy ****ers can't be bothered to learn our names.
    We also have full on fist fights if we disagree over the smallest of things... well she starts them. We have had to share everything in our life because our family isn't that wealthy, so we had a bike to share whilst our sister had her own. ARGH. The fights that caused were horrendous. I'd rather have nothing than have to share with her.

We are like best friends but like also worst enemies. We both want to medicine and you can just feel the competition heating up.

YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A TWIN.
    Unless you already are one and like it... you're insane.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah we do! It's really competitive between us and people get us mixed up so much that they just call both of us 'twin'. :rant: Lazy ****ers can't be bothered to learn our names.
    We also have full on fist fights if we disagree over the smallest of things... well she starts them. We have had to share everything in our life because our family isn't that wealthy, so we had a bike to share whilst our sister had her own. ARGH. The fights that caused were horrendous. I'd rather have nothing than have to share with her.

We are like best friends but like also worst enemies. We both want to medicine and you can just feel the competition heating up.

YOU DON'T WANT TO BE A TWIN.
    Unless you already are one and like it... you're insane.
    Haha, I'm a triplet...so am twins with two people not one! I wouldn't change it for the world. Definitely not insane though

I can see where you're coming from about competition, though. My sisters and I were really competitive as children/teenagers, but once we went away to separate universities it got much better. We used to fight before then, but even then we would forget about it an hour later and go back to being best friends.

And yes, I definitely agree about hpw irritating it is not to be called by your name! One of my sisters got called 'triplet thingy' once, which she wasn't amused at. Luckily my family are good at making sure we are treated as individuals, but people we don't know so well (particularly when we were at school) haven't always been that considerate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the youngest at 18 and my brother is 26, tbh I only really noticed the gap when my brother reached his late teens/early 20's as we were both at different stages in our lives (we still are), it has impoved considerably now that I'm older though and we've always remained close

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kew)
    Haha, I'm a triplet...so am twins with two people not one! I wouldn't change it for the world. Definitely not insane though

I can see where you're coming from about competition, though. My sisters and I were really competitive as children/teenagers, but once we went away to separate universities it got much better. We used to fight before then, but even then we would forget about it an hour later and go back to being best friends.

And yes, I definitely agree about hpw irritating it is not to be called by your name! One of my sisters got called 'triplet thingy' once, which she wasn't amused at. Luckily my family are good at making sure we are treated as individuals, but people we don't know so well (particularly when we were at school) haven't always been that considerate.
    Wow! triplets! Are you all similar, personality wise? Me and my twin like the same things and have similar taste. I think that makes it even more competitive.
    I see what you mean by the forgetting about the fight, I had a fight with my twin today, about 20 mins after we acted like it didnt happen.
    Hopefully it will get better after uni, I doubt we'll go to the same uni... :lolwut:
    Our parents treat us as the same person so that doesn't help. Yeah I'm overreacting but some days it gets fustrating.
    I presume being a triplet is even more work! But very rewarding when you all get along.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! triplets! Are you all similar, personality wise? Me and my twin like the same things and have similar taste. I think that makes it even more competitive.
    I see what you mean by the forgetting about the fight, I had a fight with my twin today, about 20 mins after we acted like it didnt happen.
    Hopefully it will get better after uni, I doubt we'll go to the same uni... :lolwut:
    Our parents treat us as the same person so that doesn't help. Yeah I'm overreacting but some days it gets fustrating.
    I presume being a triplet is even more work! But very rewarding when you all get along.
    We all have the same sense of humour, which is great, and have many shared tastes and interests. One of my sisters (FormerlyHistoryStudent on here) is really into sport though, which I'm not really, and my other sister (FormerlyFrisbeeFan on here) and I are more into music. But we are all interested in things like history and psychology and enjoy things like reading, playing word games and exploring places. Oh and we all really want to have a ride in a hot air balloon before we die...

I'm sure it will get better once you go to university, because then you'll have the space to develop more as individuals. That's what I and my sisters found, anyway.

I wouldn't describe being a triplet as 'work' exactly, though I suppose I would have done as a teenager.

Before we hijack this thread any further, would you like to continue the convo in the Multiple Births Society thread instead?
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm 27 and my step--brother is 37
    but I barely know him and haven't seen him in about 7 years.

There's 22 months between my first and second child, and 25 months between my second and third child

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 have a sister who is 13, bother who is 7 and another sister who is 4 months. And we all come from the same parents (no breakup in marriage etc). I think its really cool

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.