Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NancyDewhurst)
    I'm only 16 and live in England so I won't applying for a few years and will do a foundation course anyway... but I'm interested in GSA and I wondering if anyone knew how much they care about your GCSE results in other subjects that aren't art? Or do they not pay much attention to that? Because I think i'll do OK with my GCSE art results but in my other subjects like Maths and Science I'll get more Bs and Cs... how much do they care about this?
    Speaking from limited experience (got offers from GSA and ECA but also three rejections), they don't matter too much for places like GSA, or art schools in general, unless you're going for somewhere like Ruskin where they'll screen you pretty hard on everything and your offer'll be AAA. it's pretty much all down to having a strong portfolio, as far as I understand it, and since on applying you'll have AS results and references based on your A level progress, they probably matter even less. However even GSA's standard offer seems to be ABB (non art specific), so you'll need to do alright on your other A level subjects too

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 16 and live in England so I won't applying for a few years and will do a foundation course anyway... but I'm interested in GSA and I wondering if anyone knew how much they care about your GCSE results in other subjects that aren't art? Or do they not pay much attention to that? Because I think i'll do OK with my GCSE art results but in my other subjects like Maths and Science I'll get more Bs and Cs... how much do they care about this?
    I really wouldn't let your age put you off applying soon either. I'm going to GSA this year, and I'm 17 now but I was 16 when I applied, and I didn't do a foundation year either, I'm straight from school, so it's worth applying if you can! As long as you've got a decent portfolio you've got as good a chance as anyone.

ReputationRep:
    They are not fussed about your GCSE results I think, but they do care about your A-level results! I appiled for VisCom this year, got an interview and they liked my portfolio but they rejected me purely on the basis of my poor A-Level results BCC (which was very cruel, why give me an interview and raise my hopes!).
    I think the lowest offer this year was BBB, correct me If I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrrebecca)
    I really wouldn't let your age put you off applying soon either. I'm going to GSA this year, and I'm 17 now but I was 16 when I applied, and I didn't do a foundation year either, I'm straight from school, so it's worth applying if you can! As long as you've got a decent portfolio you've got as good a chance as anyone.
    Are you serious?! but actually are you from Scotland? Because I hear you do everything a year earlier there I'm from Oxford and planning on going sixth form and it's pretty un- heard of applying to university at 16 here... also the only portfolio stuff that I have would be my GCSE work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YvonneWiecek)
    They are not fussed about your GCSE results I think, but they do care about your A-level results! I appiled for VisCom this year, got an interview and they liked my portfolio but they rejected me purely on the basis of my poor A-Level results BCC (which was very cruel, why give me an interview and raise my hopes!).
    I think the lowest offer this year was BBB, correct me If I'm wrong.
    Thanks! And also out of interest are you applying again or have you gone for a different place?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! And also out of interest are you applying again or have you gone for a different place?

No, Glasgow was my third choice, the school is amazing but I'm not a big fan of the city itself, I'm going to University of the Arts London

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious?! but actually are you from Scotland? Because I hear you do everything a year earlier there I'm from Oxford and planning on going sixth form and it's pretty un- heard of applying to university at 16 here... also the only portfolio stuff that I have would be my GCSE work...
    Yeah I'm Scottish haha. I know what you mean, I think the education system is really different here, I wish I understood it more! But I applied when I was in my sixth year, and that's me just finished sixth year now. I'm one of the younger ones in my year though, most people would have been 17 when they applied, I just have a really late birthday. But it's kinda the norm here to apply to Uni when you're in 6th year. I think we maybe do do things a year earlier though, because, I could be totally wrong here, but I think GCSEs are the equivalent to Standard Grades here, and then I applied to Uni I had done my Highers too, which I'm not sure of the English equivalent, but they're done the year after Standard Grade. I hope I'm making a bit of sense here, it's difficult to explain!

ReputationRep:
    I have an ABB offer for GSA to study Environmental Art and Sculpture for this September. I live in London and applied straight from school (I am doing my A-Levels now). When I applied my portfolio was only my AS level work, with one A level piece. I would say GSA is more academic than most art schools but as long as you work hard you should be fine. Particularly focus on your portfolio and how you present your 25 images because that is what really matters.

ReputationRep:
    how are career prospects for graduates from the gsa???, i was selected for the higher sqa exhibition of art work in parliament a few years ago, i could have done very well at gsa...painting. i dont know if i now regret not going, i may end up with a dead end degree.

ReputationRep:
    I got accepted for the Architecture course staring this september, for anyone still wondering - all the term dates are up on their website..

www.gsa.ac.uk/termdates

I applied for accommodation already, and received an offer for deluxe room in victoria hall eventhough i opted for margret macdonald house..

has anyone else gotten theirs yet? I was told I was lucky to get anything, but it sounds a bit expensive so i'm quite worried tbh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carmek)
    I got accepted for the Architecture course staring this september, for anyone still wondering - all the term dates are up on their website..

www.gsa.ac.uk/termdates

I applied for accommodation already, and received an offer for deluxe room in victoria hall eventhough i opted for margret macdonald house..

has anyone else gotten theirs yet? I was told I was lucky to get anything, but it sounds a bit expensive so i'm quite worried tbh!
    Did you get an unconditional offer? I got a conditional offer and applied for halls and just got an e-mail the other week saying that they were holding a place for me in halls and that it wouldn't be confirmed until results come out. Also, it doesn't say which halls for me...

ReputationRep:
    Same here, have a conditional offer, and recieved an e-mail telling me that they are holding a place for me. I have now sent my grades, and the offer has been made unconditional, so will probably get a mail with more info soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvaJJ)
    Same here, have a conditional offer, and recieved an e-mail telling me that they are holding a place for me. I have now sent my grades, and the offer has been made unconditional, so will probably get a mail with more info soon
    Please can you tell me who you emailed your grades to? I am trying to sort our my accommodation too, thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I e-mailed them to [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    im starting painting and printmaking in september, should i worry that i've not really heard anything from gsa apart from that i got in? agh i'm so excited, i've just written all the dates in my calander for when it starts and so on, did anyone go to the degree show?

ReputationRep:
    I just heard that I got a room at Margaret Macdonald house, but yeah, I've not heard a whole lot from gsa except that I got in either, but I don't think it's anything to worry about!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else who's waiting? My offer changed from conditional to unconditional two weeks ago. Still not heard anything more from accommodation, except that letter of comfort. Haven't heard anything else from the school either. Thought they said on their facebook page that they would send out induction packs or something like that. Haven't recieved anything in the mail, though. Oh, waiting is so awful! x)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freyac)
    Did you get an unconditional offer? I got a conditional offer and applied for halls and just got an e-mail the other week saying that they were holding a place for me in halls and that it wouldn't be confirmed until results come out. Also, it doesn't say which halls for me...
    I did get an unconditional offer, actually i've finished my alevels last years so all my grades were already there. its weird they haven't told you where you are..
    can't believe its only a month and a half till we start! blimey.

ReputationRep:
    Got my accommodation sorted for Victoria Hall, Margaret Macdonald was my first choice but whatever, i'm just happy i've got somewhere to live! Going into Painting and Printmaking year 2, anyone doing the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattwoof)
    Got my accommodation sorted for Victoria Hall, Margaret Macdonald was my first choice but whatever, i'm just happy i've got somewhere to live! Going into Painting and Printmaking year 2, anyone doing the same?
    I'm starting Painting and Printmaking too, but year one though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.