Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is cheaper to go to Cambridge than any other uni in the uk if ur parents are on less than 30K-this is a fact! Enough of the 'i'm not rich enough to go to Oxbridge' its bull****. No other uni offers cambridges range of bursaries, loans, scholarships etc. People who've acheived a 1st in year 1 get their next year free, and if they continue to succeed find all their costs covered for the duration of their course and the option of a masters at Harvard also funded by the uni. This happened to quite a few of my sisters friends. Accomadation is luxurious and relatively cheap, provided for all 3/4 years, costs of living aren't too high and the lack of decent night life makes it harder to spent your money! All degrees get upgraded to masters after 2 years automatically, saving further costs on that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jampolo)
    27 black students went to oxford in 2009.
    1 was from the carribean, so 26 black african students went to oxford.
    For the ones that lived in England...
    To clarify this data, those students only count the UK students who were applying for undergraduate study out of the people that chose to disclose their race.

most black people, when they immigrated to the UK went to the capital, London, or surrounding area's such as Essex. The schools aren't great in those areas, but if anyone does come from a poor background and wants to go to a top university, they're going to need a lot more funding from the government and university than, lets say, a private schooled child.
    I think this is an awful show of how selective Oxford are. There were easily many more black students applying to Oxford that could have made the cut,
    but then again, the rich kid from Eton in the 'middle' class does not require a bursary, does not require a grant or any sort of money from the University. It's already there!
    Black students were only very slightly less successful than white students if you adjust for subject choice (black students tend to apply for the most competitive subjects like medicine, for some reason). Fact is, black applicants are a small minority of the UK so figures like '27 admitted' sound a lot more shocking than they are.

In the end i just feel its all down to money. Kids from poorer backgrounds just don't have the money to fund three years at Oxbridge.
    As others have pointed out, the student loan is specifically designed to allow anyone to go to university, and Oxford has the most generous help out there. You cannot lose your possessions, it does not affect your credit rating, there is no catch.

Besides, even if that were not true all of this applies to all other unis anyway. How is this specifically to do with Oxford?

I feel the problem is the intimidation of the universities.. my dad never wanted me to apply to Oxbridge because its normally reserved for those who can afford it, or those who are superior in intelligence to most others. People are put off by the types of people they 'think' go to Oxbridge, but not knowing what type of people go. And a low representation of black and mixed race students does not encourage them to apply, although it hasn't put me off..
    Everyone can afford it. 'Intelligence' is kind of a necessity though!

I thought you might be interested to know that black people who get AAA are in fact a lot more likely to apply to oxbridge than their white counterparts. There were in fact more black applicants to Oxbridge last year than black students who got AAA (clearly, necessary if you want to go to Oxford!).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.