Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Um. I just went on Amazon and, er, accidentally bought a Kindle.
    Oops.
    :shiftyrun:
    this is hilarious :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show
    "accidentally" pfft and how much did it cost?

anyway, i'm off to wrap myself in books. night folks :bunny:

@Poitron: Hopefully St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    this is hilarious :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show
    "accidentally" pfft and how much did it cost?

I admit it, you are right. I just wasn't supposed to be buying it for myself for another month, but I have rubbish self-control, and a credit card.

Spoiler:
    Show
    £109 for the wi-fi version. I don't think I'd use the 3G stuff, who gets so desperate for a book that they can't wait to get home and use wi-fi? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    £109 for the wi-fi version. I don't think I'd use the 3G stuff, who gets so desperate for a book that they can't wait to get home and use wi-fi? :dontknow:
    bibliophiles :sexface:

filled with so much lust and desire, they need the words right there, right now

ReputationRep:
    bibliophiles :sexface:

filled with so much lust and desire, they need the words right there, right now
    :eek: - to think I let that guy show me his e-reader on the underground. Was I just a cheap substitute for his literary obsessions in an area of no internet access?

ReputationRep:
    I admit it, you are right. I just wasn't supposed to be buying it for myself for another month, but I have rubbish self-control, and a credit card.

Spoiler:
    Show
    You won't regret it I got a kindle yesterday and I love it! I was lucky enough to get the 3G version as I don't have wfi at uni (apart from at the library but I'd never get anything done if I took it there!).

It holds so many books :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    You won't regret it I got a kindle yesterday and I love it! I was lucky enough to get the 3G version as I don't have wfi at uni (apart from at the library but I'd never get anything done if I took it there!).

It holds so many books :coma:
    am so happy to hear this! Will let you know how I get on with mine. That's a good point about the 3G option, you don't want to end up hanging round coffee shops to use their wifi! The capacity is amazing isn't it - will be brilliant next time I go away, instead of loading my case with books I'll just take my Kindle :love:

ReputationRep:
    right. who voted for Orwell

:spank:

ReputationRep:
    In hope that Heart of Darkness wins, you can download the free ebook from Project Gutenburg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    In hope that Heart of Darkness wins, you can download the free ebook from Project Gutenburg
    Thanks for mentioning that website! So many free books :love:.

ReputationRep:
    My gran has just given me a bookmark with fifty books to read before you die. 1984 is number 2 :facepalm:

Heart of Darkness is on there too though.

Edit: is it bad that I'm sitting in the corner on my laptop on TSR while my gran is being sociable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    My gran has just given me a bookmark with fifty books to read before you die. 1984 is number 2 :facepalm:

Edit: is it bad that I'm sitting in the corner on my laptop on TSR while my gran is being sociable?
    Yes. You're going to burn for eternity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Yes. You're going to burn for eternity.
    Well we already knew that.

ReputationRep:
    Well we already knew that.
    It's ok, I've got a VIP pass to Hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    x
    i'm a science student as well :teeth:

and yes, i have a ****load of exams in January as well. boo.

ReputationRep:

Am I the only one who finds those kinds of lists depressing?:sad: My dad gave me the one of them too :cry2:

And yay! Heart of Darkness is still in the lead :dance:

ReputationRep:
    perhaps. thank god I don't need to read it for my dissertation this year

I'm think after Ulysses, I'm going on a poetry binge. no, I lie. I'm going on a 'classic' binge. I have never read Lord Of The Flies/Of Mice and Men/To Kill a Mockingbird. Yes. It's shocking, I know. I'm going to see what makes them tick

---

Guess the book:

Everyone had always said that John would be a preacher when he grew up, just like his father.
    Did someone guess what book this was?

I can guess...but I've googled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    Did someone guess what book this was?

I can guess...but I've googled
    I googled it but I'd never heard of it so I felt like a bit of a cheat.

Am I the only one who finds those kinds of lists depressing?:sad: My dad gave me the one of them too :cry2:

And yay! Heart of Darkness is still in the lead :dance:
    I have already bent the bookmark by putting it in my back pocket and sitting down. I am a terrible grandson. Especially as my gran is preparing to leave and I'm still on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I googled it but I'd never heard of it so I felt like a bit of a cheat.

I have already bent the bookmark by putting it in my back pocket and sitting down. I am a terrible grandson. Especially as my gran is preparing to leave and I'm still on TSR.
    yeah, tell me about it, the guilt is unbearable!

If there was prize money involved though...well thats would be another story entirely

:eek: I take it you don't have the metal bookmarks! You definitely are the epitome of a terrible grandson. Now we know why you seemed so resigned to your fate in hell.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, tell me about it, the guilt is unbearable!

If there was prize money involved though...well thats would be another story entirely

:eek: I take it you don't have the metal bookmarks! You definitely are the epitome of a terrible grandson. Now we know why you seemed so resigned to your fate in hell.
    It is metal, I'm just heavy I think. Too much christmas food. :cry2:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The kindle is the end of traditional reading.

P*sses me off to see how reading from a book is being overtaken by some device that will end up damaging your eyesight.

The feel of the fresh paper as you run your finger across each page, flicking through the book to smell the freshness, turning every page in excitement... :moon:

(BUT, I see why some people would buy them. )

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.