Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best army in history? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Deadlist warrior? Lololol who brought that up.... cool show and everything but the whole basis of it IS ridiculous, we've no idea how 2 warriors would really fight and the conditions depending on victory, death, whatever - I laughed at the episode with the Somali pirates

Individual fighters=/=Whole armies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    Deadlist Warrior, the worst TV show ever imo.
    Their tests are inaccurate and biased, just a load of crap.
    I'll give you 200 pounds if you stop having an opinion, so i don't look bad. I have rep yo. (Not really) It's not that bad, what do you mean their tests are inaccurate and bias?

I really love your sig btw.

ReputationRep:
    It's undoubtedly the British one, as they conquered pretty much all of the world, and even now they have the best soliders. American army is **** the only thing they have is equipment and they spend Billions of $ while some talibans and some viets spend 20p on ak-47 and they kill a bunch of americans.

P.S im not even British so this is from a neutral.
    The middle eastern warriors are definitely the bravest in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Germany in WW2 and USA of today wee both vastly superior to any of their rivals

Germany destroyed France in a matter of weeks they were well trained, funded, were strong tactically and they had advanced technology at the time. The USA currently has an absolutely huge budget making them superior to any army in history.

ReputationRep:
    The Papal Swiss Guard... they have halberds, brah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanity514)
    Spanish armada. Jk And oh the trojan horse story is a good one if it actually took place.

Speaks more about the retardedness of the Trojans than it does of the Greeks prowess though...

I mean how ****ing stupid do you have to be? Sure, there was no recorded precedent, and no Admiral Ackbar meme to warn them... but that's no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Russia for saving the Europe from Nazis, Russians were hit by surprise and to come back and win the war is really good in my opinion. During that war they also fought the Japanese (before US / Japan war).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim Pansen)
    You're absolutely right. They conquered one-third of the then inhabited world.

I never said the Muslims conquered the whole of the Roman Empire. Europe would be Muslim, if that had happened. They did however conquer the imperial capital of the Roman Empire - Constantinople, and destroyed the East Roman Empire (Byzantines).

The Prussian Napoleonic Army under Clausewitz is also worth mentioning.
    That wasn't under a single caliphate, genius. The British empire encompassed half the world if you include all the territories once included in its possessions but we measure it by it's biggest extent in history, not in retrospect. :rolleyes:.

Yes you're correct, but that was under the Ottoman Empire, that wasn't the same muslim caliphate that defeated the Persians :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    Easily the Mongols.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyCenturion)
    That wasn't under a single caliphate, genius. The British empire encompassed half the world if you include all the territories once included in its possessions but we measure it by it's biggest extent in history, not in retrospect. :rolleyes:.

Yes you're correct, but that was under the Ottoman Empire, that wasn't the same muslim caliphate that defeated the Persians :rolleyes:.
    The Mongols empire was as big if not maybe slightly smaller at its' height / largest

what Empire / kingdom is that exactly? They're just 'The muslims' apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    The Mongols empire was as big if not maybe slightly smaller at its' height / largest

what Empire / kingdom is that exactly? They're just 'The muslims' apparently

The Mongol Empire is the 2nd largest empire after the British Empire, something like 700,000 KM smaller. I think there's a list on wikipedia you can see

It isn't an Empire or a Kingdom, it's made up, it's a collection of Muslim caliphates joined together from different time periods.
    For example, the Mughal empire (1526 onwards) exists at the same time as Muslims in Spain which wasn't the case after 1492. According to that 'accurate' map :rolleyes:
    Same with Sicily too, which is remarkable because in 1072 the Muslims were kicked out by the Normans... WAY before any muslim was in Central europe.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be either the Mongols or Alexander the great's i mean the guys 30,000 soldiers beat the "great" Persian kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    But if we are being serious here, I'm real happy for you and I'mma let you finish but the coalition of the 300 Spartan soldiers and soldiers from other Greek city states and surrounding areas (in reality a few thousand with the 300 spartans) that took on the several tens of thousand man persian army is THE BEST ARMY OF ALL TIME (At the battle of Thermopylae)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelyCenturion)
    The Mongol Empire is the 2nd largest empire after the British Empire, something like 700,000 KM smaller. I think there's a list on wikipedia you can see

It isn't an Empire or a Kingdom, it's made up, it's a collection of Muslim caliphates joined together from different time periods.
    For example, the Mughal empire (1526 onwards) exists at the same time as Muslims in Spain which wasn't the case after 1492. According to that 'accurate' map :rolleyes:
    Same with Sicily too, which is remarkable because in 1072 the Muslims were kicked out by the Normans... WAY before any muslim was in Central europe.
    The map is probably a mish-mash off various caliphates. But we're not talking about empires here.

If you want the "muslim" army, then it's probably the one led by the legendary Khalid Ibn Walid from the Rashidun Caliphate. Khalid never lost a battle, or so wiki says, but whether that was due to his brilliant command or the strength of the army who knows. However, the Mobile Guard (Elite Arab light cavalry) were a famous part of the Rashidun armies.

ReputationRep:
    Ottoman empire/army in my humble opinion :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mohacs

ReputationRep:
    There's a few - Alexanders Army, the Mongol Hordes, the Roman Legions, the British Army of 1918, the German Army of 1938-1941, the Spartans, the Russian steamroller of 1944-1970's, and the US Army of the 90's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Mongol army.
    This. Other good historical armies (disregarding sheer numbers of troops and technology) have been that of the Roman empire, English (later became British but remained anglo-centric), German, Japanese, US and in the modern day the two Koreas (particularly North) manage to do a hell of a lot with their lot.

Oh forgot some historic ones: Spartans (other ancient ones too, originating from Europe and China but I can't remember their names), the central Asian Aryan army which invaded to colonise the Indian subcontinent, various Islamic caliphates - particularly the Umayyad caliphate and the pre-Islamic Persian army was some serious muscle too.

ReputationRep:
    would have to say Wellington's army that fought through Portugal, Spain and France, was out numbered but NEVER out fought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Rome post-Marius. Legions mean business, brah.

:ditto:

Also, the various forces of the initial Muslim expansion. Then again the logical choice is the modern US. If we supplement army for armed forces. It is simply the most powerful military force to ever exist in human history, even in just a conventional context.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to stay since 'best' can mean many things. At present we could nuke the planet in ten seconds... that doesn't require skill though, just requires the pushing of a button.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.