Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    yeh , and have u been getting B's in biology and phys i have so close to A though :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by king101)
    yeh , and have u been getting B's in biology and phys i have so close to A though :/
    maybe 'hard' means "physically" hard - like diamonds
    and 'strong' can be a broader term?.. like... intermolecular forces are "strong"
    lol :p:
    I got an A* in chemistry mock but now I think I'll get a B/A because I can't remember anything need to revise again... (I did my mocks about 3-4weeks ago)
    And I didn't do bio mock

ReputationRep:
    Hard = Diamond is hard because 1 carbon atom is combined with 4 other carbon atoms - so no atoms are free.

Strong = Strong covalent bonds?

ReputationRep:
    Which of the 3 do you think is going to be the hardest, I think biology. Chemisrty isn't too hbard and physics is just using the formula, but there is so much too remember and each biology mock is worded diffrently!

ReputationRep:
    biology defo and physics by stuiped mistakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Anonymous)
    maybe 'hard' means "physically" hard - like diamonds
    and 'strong' can be a broader term?.. like... intermolecular forces are "strong"
    lol :p:
    I got an A* in chemistry mock but now I think I'll get a B/A because I can't remember anything need to revise again... (I did my mocks about 3-4weeks ago)
    And I didn't do bio mock
    You done the 2nd chemistry ISA.. Im doing it after these holidays end

ReputationRep:
    You done the 2nd chemistry ISA.. Im doing it after these holidays end
    What's the 2nd chemistry ISA topic?
    I can't remember whether I've done it or not...

ReputationRep:
    thats stupid you do it in january, i done it every may. C B P3 all in may

ReputationRep:
    Im finding the unit 2 of the sciences quite a bit more tedious especially physics and chemistry. I averaged 98UMS marks in the unit 1 sciences which I was extremely happy with. Hopefully I will do just as well in the unit 2 modules. I've done 4 days revision of Physics, now doing 4 of Chemistry (today being my last) and 8 straight days of Biology leading up to the exam. I will then do 4 days of chemistry, mixed in with physics depending upon how confident I feel. Then 2 days of physics after the chemistry module.

ReputationRep:
    0.o Can anyone tell me how; meiosis and mitosis work.

This is what I think happens, unsure if its right can anyone explain to me if its right what i am saying:
    Meiosis- Making Gametes.

Right there are two sets of chromosomes in a normal cell father +mother. The DNA is replicated, forming 4 sets of chromosomes. These are then lined up at the centere of the cell, all 4 are then pulled apart so there is a mixture of chromosomes 'variation'. And then a membrane forms around each like mitosis... = two new cells with 2 sets of chromosomes. Right now, the two cells split again forming 4 gametes with only one set of chromosomes.

OK.,.. so my question is what i dont understand is if 1 sets of chromosomes;is father and mother 24 +24= 42 pair of chromosomes.... then how do we get too 2 sets of chromosomes??

ReputationRep:
    0.o Can anyone tell me how; meiosis and mitosis work.

This is what I think happens, unsure if its right can anyone explain to me if its right what i am saying:
    Meiosis- Making Gametes.

Right there are two sets of chromosomes in a normal cell father +mother. The DNA is replicated, forming 4 sets of chromosomes. These are then lined up at the centere of the cell, all 4 are then pulled apart so there is a mixture of chromosomes 'variation'. And then a membrane forms around each like mitosis... = two new cells with 2 sets of chromosomes. Right now, the two cells split again forming 4 gametes with only one set of chromosomes.

OK.,.. so my question is what i dont understand is if 1 sets of chromosomes;is father and mother 24 +24= 42 pair of chromosomes.... then how do we get too 2 sets of chromosomes??
    yeah thats right, mitosis is splitting into two identical offsprings - asexual
    meiosis is a gamete - sexural

regarding your question:
    if your talking about mitosis, the chromosons duplicate them selves, dont know how but. so it its 92 in the cell, which then line up and split into two sets 92/2 = 46.

if your talking about meiosis;
    same happens here, each chromosne duplicates = 96 chromosons
    they are mixed then split into two. both sets have theyre membrane.
    this then fruther splits into two cells. so thats 92/4= 23 which is a single set.
    so one cell produces four gametes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    thats stupid you do it in january, i done it every may. C B P3 all in may
    wait forget what i said above; is this the correct explanation;

Meiosis;
    Each cell has 46 chromosomes. Therefore in our cell, we have 1 pair of chromosomes (23 from mother 23 from father). This then is replicated too form 2 pairs of chromosomes, which as a result is 4 single chromosomes one from each parent. These then line up at the centre of the cell, and…. (All meiosis) a pulled apart, causing a mixture of chromosomes therefore, a variation. Each one becomes its own cell with only 2 single chromosomes. And divides again forming only 1 chromosome per cell.

ReputationRep:
    wait forget what i said above; is this the correct explanation;

Meiosis;
    Each cell has 46 chromosomes. Therefore in our cell, we have 1 pair of chromosomes (23 from mother 23 from father). This then is replicated too form 2 pairs of chromosomes, which as a result is 4 single chromosomes one from each parent. These then line up at the centre of the cell, and…. (All meiosis) a pulled apart, causing a mixture of chromosomes therefore, a variation. Each one becomes its own cell with only 2 single chromosomes. And divides again forming only 1 chromosome per cell.
    yeah look above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sendi_12)
    yeah thats right, mitosis is splitting into two identical offsprings - asexual
    meiosis is a gamete - sexural

regarding your question:
    if your talking about mitosis, the chromosons duplicate them selves, dont know how but. so it its 96 in the cell, which then line up and split into two sets 96/2 = 48.

if your talking about meiosis;
    same happens here, each chromosne duplicates = 96 chromosons
    they are mixed then split into two. both sets have theyre membrane.
    this then fruther splits into two cells. so thats 96/4=24 which is a single set.
    so one cell produces four gametes
    Thx .

But right; So you are saying the chromosome pair=46 (mother and father)
    1/Duplicate-96 chromosomes
    Right i get you untill, this bit. What I dont understand is, how many pairs of chromosome is 96?

ReputationRep:
    Thx .

But right; So you are saying the chromosome pair=46 (mother and father)
    1/Duplicate-96 chromosomes
    Right i get you untill, this bit. What I dont understand is, how many pairs of chromosome is 96?
    soz wen you mentioned 24, i used that number its 46x2=92

ReputationRep:
    Ah lol, So let me get this straight;
    1/Duplicate-Giving you 96 chromosomes
    2/This is simply two pairs of chromosomes (1st pair giving you 46 and second pair 46)
    3/These 2 pair of chromosomes then line up, at centere of the cell

Ok now this i dont understand. How do these 2 PAIRS of chromosomes pull apart, if they are in pairs?

ReputationRep:
    Ah lol, So let me get this straight;
    1/Duplicate-Giving you 96 chromosomes
    2/This is simply two pairs of chromosomes (1st pair giving you 46 and second pair 46)
    3/These 2 pair of chromosomes then line up, at centere of the cell

Ok now this i dont understand. How do these 2 PAIRS of chromosomes pull apart, if they are in pairs?
    they get pulled apart again, then line up.

im not sure you need to know how as this would be higher level shiz

ReputationRep:
    When they line up in the centre of the cell, two things called Centrioles move to the poles of the cell, they then send out spindle microtubles that attach to the middle of the chomosomes (the centomeres) and pull them apart.

This is A level (I'm guessing) but I don't know for sure as I'm still on GCSE. Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, So let me see;
    1/ Cell=46 Chromosomes {parent+father}
    2/Duplicate=96 chromosomes
    3/This is 2 pairs of chromosomes
    4/2 Pairs of chromosomes line up at centere of cell
    5/They are pulled apart, so different chromosomes are for each cell (mixture of father and mother=variation)
    6/Membrane forms around then, they then become two new cells, with only 92/2=46 in each cell
    7/Then these cells now divide again meaning 46/2 and 46/2 for the other cell.

ReputationRep:
    lol Super im sure thats A-Level xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.