Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend brings another girl - WTF!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    "We Were On A BREAK!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet Hill)
    I'll keep this short, I'm coming back from a christmas dinner with my group of friends and am FUMING!

3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I went on a break, I initiated it because I was having a tough time personally and I didn't want to put any strain on him or the relationship so thought it would be best to keep my distance. We've been together for 2 years, when I asked for a break he was quite disappointed and quietly accepted. After that he wasn't really keeping in contact much but I thought he is giving me the space I asked for.

I texted him every other week just for a quick hi and ask how he's doing, he'd always reply with something like "yeah cool thanks, hope you're well x" and that's all the contact we've had.

Today we were all getting together for a christmas dinner and he brings another girl with him :mad: I was so confused, it turned out some of our friends already knew her and it was common knowledge that he's with her

First I was just wondering what's going on, he said hello to me in a normal way, smiled and went about his way very normally. Then we all sat down and he had her arm around her and she whispering in his ear giggling. I finally caught on that he's WITH HER and called him to the side and confronted him.

He was shocked that I was angry and said he thought we had broken up :confused: and that he's been dating her for 2 weeks now. I started crying and he kept asking what's wrong, and I told him that we were on a break not broken up!!!! He kept denying it and said I had broken up with HIM! I told him I was meaning to take him back soon after and he said that's bull **** and he doesn't believe in this 'break' stuff.

He apologised that it upset me and said he'll go to let me enjoy with my friends instead of having an uncomfortable atmosphere, so he left and texted me saying "really sorry, I had no idea but seems like we're on different pages now. Sorry, tc x"

I'm honestly just shocked to the core, like WTF!? Here I was thinking I still have my boyfriend of 2 years by my side and all this time he's been with another girl...I can't believe he thought we were over!!!

I really need some advice now, how do I approach this? Was I in the wrong did I do something wrong???
    This is either a very well thought out troll, or you're a stupid bint that should be pimpslapped

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep this short, I'm coming back from a christmas dinner with my group of friends and am FUMING!

3 weeks ago my boyfriend and I went on a break, I initiated it because I was having a tough time personally and I didn't want to put any strain on him or the relationship so thought it would be best to keep my distance. We've been together for 2 years, when I asked for a break he was quite disappointed and quietly accepted. After that he wasn't really keeping in contact much but I thought he is giving me the space I asked for.

I texted him every other week just for a quick hi and ask how he's doing, he'd always reply with something like "yeah cool thanks, hope you're well x" and that's all the contact we've had.

Today we were all getting together for a christmas dinner and he brings another girl with him :mad: I was so confused, it turned out some of our friends already knew her and it was common knowledge that he's with her

First I was just wondering what's going on, he said hello to me in a normal way, smiled and went about his way very normally. Then we all sat down and he had her arm around her and she whispering in his ear giggling. I finally caught on that he's WITH HER and called him to the side and confronted him.

He was shocked that I was angry and said he thought we had broken up :confused: and that he's been dating her for 2 weeks now. I started crying and he kept asking what's wrong, and I told him that we were on a break not broken up!!!! He kept denying it and said I had broken up with HIM! I told him I was meaning to take him back soon after and he said that's bull **** and he doesn't believe in this 'break' stuff.

He apologised that it upset me and said he'll go to let me enjoy with my friends instead of having an uncomfortable atmosphere, so he left and texted me saying "really sorry, I had no idea but seems like we're on different pages now. Sorry, tc x"

I'm honestly just shocked to the core, like WTF!? Here I was thinking I still have my boyfriend of 2 years by my side and all this time he's been with another girl...I can't believe he thought we were over!!!

I really need some advice now, how do I approach this? Was I in the wrong did I do something wrong???
    So basically, you wanted to split up with him, but wanted him to wait for you just incase you changed your mind? That's basically what a "break" is right?

I'm sorry sister, but the world doesn't revolve around you and you alone. You split up with a guy, you have no right to be mad when he starts seeing someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Breaks are such silly things. If I've got a lot on my plate, I talk to my boyfriend less until it's done, but I don't see why we need to sit down and have a chat and call it a "break". Anyway, if nothing else, even if you were broken up it's still pretty rubbish of him to start seeing someone straight after and bring her to a dinner that he knew you'd be at.

ReputationRep:
    Who's right and who's wrong totally depends on whether you said that you were going through a tough time and didn't want to put a strain on the relationship to him.
    If you asked for a break as if you'd ask for a chocolate bar, he's got every right to go find other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nocturna)
    You deserve it for doing the whole "break" thing.
    this

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing to say about your man except:

http://i54.tinypic.com/zsv1hd.jpg

on second thoughts I do have something to say. I do believe he has won this argument. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you are 'fuming'. It's your bloody fault.

ReputationRep:
    Your fault. If my gf suggested we went on a break, I would automatically assume she no longer wanted to be with me. He was well within his right to get someone else IMO.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, you were having personal issues, and instead of sharing etc you decided to take a break, and he's meant to just sit around and wait until your problems are over? lol, well done stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people giving OP such a hard time? Yea, it was a bit silly to say we are on a break, but did no one read that her boyfriend of 2 years took 1 week only to find a new girlfriend? What is up with that?

ReputationRep:
    lol, did you never see friends?

ReputationRep:
    Even if you had broken up with him, it's still really childish and immature to bring another girl to Christmas dinner within 3 weeks or however long it was. If my boyfriend had done that to me I would have been so upset/angry, so I think you have a right to be annoyed.

However, I do believe that you can't just have a boyfriend on call, when you feel like it, if you see what I mean. It's difficult when you have things going on in your life, but if you really loved him then your relationship would have held strong through it. You didn't need to go on a break - your partner is supposed to be there for you through the tough times and you should have let him.

ReputationRep:
    If he was that upset that you'd broken up, he wouldn't have moved on so quickly. I reckon his new girl is a rebound.

ReputationRep:
    I think he has been quite mature about it. He hasn't once flipped out or played the fool, he accepted that you wanted to break, which is only two letters short of a break up. He may have been seeing this girl after a week but I doubt it would be serious, people come and go all the time, you cant choose when to meet people based on how recent you broke up with the last one. It sucks, but take it on the chin and move on. The relationship was obviously stagnant if he accepted it and didn't really put up a fight. He may just be the type of person to take things as they come, and if you have broken up with him he won't chase you like you clearly want him to.

Breaks always end badly as people have said

ReputationRep:
    the 'break' probably confused him and i dont know anyone who randomly takes breaks in their relationship...if times are hard u talk it over or something ....but also the guy seems like a jerk on the fact that he can move on so fast ...like seriously he had a new girl in no time but it may have been a way to make u jealous....

ReputationRep:

YOU WERE ON A BREAK!!!!!! its like a mini break up, anyone can do anything during the break!!! stop being rachel from friends!!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Personally i think that this was entirely the fault of the OP.

Breaks are like seeing people to me, they were created by women as an excuse to have sex with who they want without feeling like a ****/slut. Breaks are the type of things that 12 year olds have.

Even if you think he moved on too quickly (i personally see no logic in waiting around), you should be glad that you were with somebody who in the end did not backstab or create rumours, but actually left an event so that you could have a good time. He genuinely sounds like an honourable guy.

You also clearly did not think the situation through, there are only two reasons why you go on a break...

1) You either do not trust him enougth or think that your relationship will not last due to your "personal" problems

2) He is the cause of your problems and you just do not have it in you to break up with him

In the end, there were obviously a few reasons why it ended badly, but 95% is your fault. By attempting a break instead of a break up, you attemted to create a shade of grey in a situation which only warranted black or white.

In metaphorical terms the guy on a previous page had it right, in a game of blackjack, you held at 20, he got 21, you lost.

To avoid this situation again, simply do not attempt a break, either ditch or expect support. Be gald that your ex moved over pretty silently, because had it being me, you would of had the ultimatum of break up or grow up.

ReputationRep:
    You silly woman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vohamanah)
    You do surprise me, Profesh. I thought you were too smart for all that =p
    I trust her, and for the sake of something that's lasted the better part of two years it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.