Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    The wonders of staff discount
    Aaah, unagi :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys not find the ebooks expensive?

I mean, a used book can be had for around £1 on amazon, new, it may be £10, but the ebook may be £7.

Also, not every book is an ebook is it?

ReputationRep:
    I've found other means of acquiring ebooks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    I've found other means of acquiring ebooks...
    Is the pirate ebook offering as vast as pirate films/games etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    Is the pirate ebook offering as vast as pirate films/games etc?
    i would say so. You may have to wait a bit longer for new releases. But I have so far found everything I wanted. (Although I have mainly got books that I've already bought in paper form as I just can't bring myself to re-buying it for the kindle.) But I have found certain torrent links that offers about 600 books.

ReputationRep:
    i would say so. You may have to wait a bit longer for new releases. But I have so far found everything I wanted. (Although I have mainly got books that I've already bought in paper form as I just can't bring myself to re-buying it for the kindle.) But I have found certain torrent links that offers about 600 books.
    Check your PM dude.

I already have an iPad, is it worth getting a Kindle?

ReputationRep:
    I got my Kindle yesterday and I can't put it down! I love it it's so weird how much like a page the screen looks :p:
    I would put it in my bag around with me but I don't have a case for it yet and I'm in the overly-protective mode when I first get something :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    I just got the £99 samsung e65 ereader that PC world/dixons are doing. I really love it :-D Got loads of classics on there, and loads of other stuff.

I went for the samsung over the kindle because I didn't care about the browsing and I wanted to be able to loan ebooks from my local library without having to worry about the format.

Not being able to read ePub is poor of the Kindle really, because it's the standard non-proprietary format.
    Hiya. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a kindle or alternative. With the samsung one, or any other brand for that matter, can you still buy books from the kindle store?

Have you got anything out from the library yet? How easy is it to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Hiya. I'm trying to decide whether to go for a kindle or alternative. With the samsung one, or any other brand for that matter, can you still buy books from the kindle store?

Kindle store sells stuff in AZW format, which can be read by anything that reads mobipocket. However, you'd have to remove the DRM first...

Also, Kindles won't read stuff in the format libraries offer...

ReputationRep:

There are converters from kindle format to epub as previous poster has said.
    The Samsung ones have a built in WH Smiths store, so you can download straight from there.

I've taken a few e-books out my local library and its really easy. They just expire after the set date

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found free sources of kindle compatiable e-books that are modern? I can only seem to find the classics and a couple of free ones from amazon itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the cat)
    Kindle store sells stuff in AZW format, which can be read by anything that reads mobipocket. However, you'd have to remove the DRM first...

Also, Kindles won't read stuff in the format libraries offer...
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    There are converters from kindle format to epub as previous poster has said.
    The Samsung ones have a built in WH Smiths store, so you can download straight from there.

I've taken a few e-books out my local library and its really easy. They just expire after the set date
    Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it. I think I've decided to go for a kindle in the end because of the convenience of it and price.

I have one question for people who have a kindle. Say I were to be reading a book, would it remember the place I was at if I was to read another book at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it. I think I've decided to go for a kindle in the end because of the convenience of it and price.

I have one question for people who have a kindle. Say I were to be reading a book, would it remember the place I was at if I was to read another book at the same time?
    Yes it does remember, you could be reading hundreds of books at the same time and it would remember the page you left it on for each book.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does remember, you could be reading hundreds of books at the same time and it would remember the page you left it on for each book.
    I was sure it must be able to. My technophobe mum didn't believe me! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I picked a Kindle up after work today, just loading some books onto it as we speak.

I am very impressed with it.

When I went to John Lewis to view the demo, I actually thought it was a plastic dummy and asked for a working one. I couldn't believe the screen! It look's like the page of a book.

Rob - Thanks for the PM dude

ReputationRep:

Yup.

ReputationRep:
    Right, after many many days of excitement and a VERY late amazon delivery, my kindle arrived.

I was reading non-stop yesterday - YES, it's wonderful, YES it looks like paper, YES it can be read for hours without hurting your eyes, YES it's a cool purchase.. but sadly, mine's being returned It just doesn't feel like a book.. every time I would read from it, I couldn't stop thinking how much more I would love to be reading the actual book.

Now don't get me wrong - this is a very personal thing. Every single person I've spoken to with a kindle, bar none, hasn't stopped praising it, so the likelihood is you'll agree with them, not me, and you too will love a kindle. But if you have not only a love of reading, but also a love for books and paper and the smell of books and the feel of books and just general bookiness like me (which I didn't realise I had so much - I thought I'd happily be ditching "clumsy heavy books" for a nice sleek gadget, but I was wrong, I seem to love clumsy heavy books ) .. perhaps not for you. Definitely try one out first - I didn't!

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I like the Kindle better than real books to be honest. The dictionary lookup and highlighting is just plain awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    I reckon I like the Kindle better than real books to be honest. The dictionary lookup and highlighting is just plain awesome.
    Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Yeah I certainly don't disagree that most people will actually prefer the kindle, but as a personal thing, I'm going to stick to buying books on the amazon marketplace!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.