Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    As well as academic requirements. Medicine is far more popular than Classics at Cambridge, yet they have the same standard offer.

I would argue, if a university is unpopular, why on earth does it exist? Why does that course exist?

If anything it. shows that the course is **** (otherwise why on earth would it be unpopular?). If a university has a significant amount of low-entry requirement courses, then yes, I constitute it as a bad university as it is a waste of money.
    This is so pretentious and ignorant tbh.

Students don't always just go to a University based on the course itself. There are many things students take into consideration.

Also when a University isn't popular it won't get as much funding. Simple as. The reason why it is unpopular is down to many things. Also Universities shouldn't just be for AAA students. Different things happen in peoples lives and it's not fair to judge everyone the same. Giving people a chance is important.

(anecdotal evidence I know) My dad didn't do great in his 'O Levels' etc because of the situation he was in. He was still given a chance to go to University because he did show that he worked hard. Now he's a Telecoms Engineer earning over 100k a year.

Back to the point on hand... Here is an example:

Loughborough is a very popular University. Their entry requirements for some course (because they aren't as popular) are fairly low/average however for other course they want grades such as AAB. Does that make them a better University in teaching the course? God no. They charge is because there is a high demand. However for some courses you'd probably be better off going elsewhere if you really wanted a well taught course with good facilities..

/RANT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Everything with "metropolitan" in the name.

Anything that is the name of a proper university with another random word put on; "Oxford Brookes" "Southampton Solent" "Nottingham Trent" etc.
    Yay Derby!

ReputationRep:
    lol, so many people have it wrong in this thread.

Its not bad universities its bad students.. its what you do with your degree not where you got it from. Unless you have good job prospects or met the right people at Uni your going to get in the dole queue, crawl back to Sainsburys or earn next to nothing in recruitment on a WONDERFUL GRAD SCHEME EARN LOADS COMMISSION M8

People grasping onto university ranks or labeling this one good and that one bad are just fools living in the past who cant come to terms with the fact that a degree doesn't mean what i used to and yes, a degree in comedy from a crap uni could earn you more money, success or respect if you have a plan than a history degree from Oxford if you dont.

ReputationRep:

Anything that is the name of a proper university with another random word put on; "Oxford Brookes" "Southampton Solent" "Nottingham Trent" etc.
    I'm not sure that the words they use on these universities are 'random'.

For example Nottingham Trent is called Nottingham Trent because of the River Trent and Liverpool John Moores is named after John Moores.

I have a question as well; what is a proper university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EggmanD)
    lol, so many people have it wrong in this thread.

Its not bad universities its bad students.. its what you do with your degree not where you got it from. Unless you have good job prospects or met the right people at Uni your going to get in the dole queue, crawl back to Sainsburys or earn next to nothing in recruitment on a WONDERFUL GRAD SCHEME EARN LOADS COMMISSION M8

People grasping onto university ranks or labeling this one good and that one bad are just fools living in the past who cant come to terms with the fact that a degree doesn't mean what i used to and yes, a degree in comedy from a crap uni could earn you more money, success or respect if you have a plan than a history degree from Oxford if you dont.
    lol no

ReputationRep:

:unimpressed:

everythng isn't as simple as saying "that uni is an ex-poly, therefore = **** uni and students aren't clever"

i go to mmu and omgz it isn't high in the league tables!!11!1! :headfire:
    BUT for the course i am doing, international fashion marketing, it is one of the best places in europe to do so :yep:

inb4 'its a mickey mouse degree stfu'
    in fact i was going to apply to do law at cambridge and i was being mentored by a lawyer, but my heart wasnt in it and was more my parents pushing me down that route. fashion has always been what i wanted to do, but i did have the ability to go down the law route if i wanted to

ReputationRep:

Makes Anglia Ruskin perfectly fine - no metropolitan in sight, and there's no University of Anglia.

Off the top of my head, it also makes these universities that usually get a slating on TSR perfectly fine: Salford, Northumbria, Thames Valley, Portsmouth, West of Scotland, Hertfordshire...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The likelihood of anyone getting that kind of offer is ridiculously low, and even then it is only for those who are academically brilliant. You're the kind of person who just wastes everyone else's time on TSR arguing with you because you won't give up even though you're clearly wrong.
    Erm, maybe you should learn to understand what I was saying before you totally disregard it.

What is so hard to understand about a student who actually achieves that offer but decides they won't do any work and only aim for EE? (Yes it's highly unlikely but that does not make it impossible).

My argument to the original person was that EE or similar grades does not necessarily make you academically challenged.

If I'm the kind of person who wastes everyone else's time on TSR arguing.. Why was I asleep when you wrote this? And why the f**k are you quoting me back looking for a response? Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Oxford and Cambridge offers of EE are only given out to exceptional students in order to negate the pressures of exam stress.
    This doesn't happen anymore.

Slash maybe once in a blue moon it does, but according to the person in charge of admissions at my college they don't give offers of anything below 3As anymore, and are trying to work out whether to include an A*.

They only gave out the EE thing when they used special entrance exams, which were basically harder than A levels anyway.

I don't think there are any 'bad' universities as such, just silly degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    It's a hypothesis, it is not invalid. Just because something may not have happened in the last 10 years, does not mean it won't in the next 10.

To my knowledge you need a higher level of education to teach at university than you do at a school (i.e. Undergraduate/PGCE v. MA/PHD etc).
    i'm quite happy to bet a hell of a lot that it won't. by the time they apply, the students have done their AS levels... they will have achieved AAB at the very least. if they didn't bother turning up to the rest of their exams they'd get EEU... so unless they just don't bother going to their exams theres no way they could actually get EE. and the fact they achieved decent grades at AS proves that they are academically able. i don't even understand why you are arguing this point. a EE offer from oxbridge is a completely different matter to a EE offer from thames valley.

and the point i was making about my teachers was that some of them had done undergrad science degrees and obviously passed, yet were absolutely useless and couldn't do bits of the a'level course. showing that the teaching/standard at their respective universities was obviously terrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    This doesn't happen anymore.

Slash maybe once in a blue moon it does, but according to the person in charge of admissions at my college they don't give offers of anything below 3As anymore, and are trying to work out whether to include an A*.

They only gave out the EE thing when they used special entrance exams, which were basically harder than A levels anyway.

I don't think there are any 'bad' universities as such, just silly degrees.
    One of my friends knows someone from the year below us who got a Cambridge EE offer, though yeah maybe they stopped it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiejade-x)
    :unimpressed:

everythng isn't as simple as saying "that uni is an ex-poly, therefore = **** uni and students aren't clever"
    I agree, my dad went to a polytechnic and now he's earning top notch monez

I guess it depends on your aptitude for learning and determination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    One of my friends knows someone from the year below us who got a Cambridge EE offer, though yeah maybe they stopped it now.
    Well maybe at Cambridge it does, I don't really know about that tbh. I guess this is the kind of problem you get when people talk about two different unis as though they're the same one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaveLFC)
    Hull because it's in Hull
    But there is the campus in Scarborough which is really nice. In fact I do say when people ask where I am thinking of going I say Scarborough first and then sometimes have to say uni of Hull because people might think that it is the university of Scarborough. If the course was based at Hull I don't think I would have applied there.

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe that there are any 'bad' universities as such.

On sites like TSR, you do tend to get a lot of people who are quite stuck up, and believe that because a uni is an ex-poly it is therefore terrible and should not exist. Most of the people on this site who do believe this nonsense have not actually attended an ex-poly and are therefore jumping on a pathetic bandwagon that has been created.

What happens if the course you want do do is only offered by an ex-poly? Should one deprieve themselves of what they really want to do, so they can go with the crowd and not attend an awful terrible ex-poly?

What I am trying to say is, do not believe all the nonsense you read on these boards, most people who name a university as being bad, have not actually attended it. How they can make a judgement and call it bad is beyond me.

What I believe is that go to a uni you like, do not take into account what people say, get yourself a good degree classification and go about looking for a job/masters ect...

ReputationRep:
    Some of the uni's people class as being "bad" are actually really good for some subjects. Also people saying about the lower entry requirements. Some of the courses are more practical and therefore it would be stupid to have high entry requirements based on academics, when when they get there they will be doing much more practical stuff. Take Ecology and Conservation for example. If you look in my sig (2 posts above) some all but one are point offers and they are not high. This is because of the large practical aspect within them. The highest which is Bournemouth I have gone off due to the high scientific aspect when I would prefer to have a more practical aspect. Some of these may be said to be "bad" (well Hull has already been mentioned) however it is due to the practical aspect that this is. I could if I wanted go on to study something with higher grade requirements which would seem more respected on this website due to my predicted grades however I don't want to. Some people will go to "bad" universities because they prefer the course and feel that they would be happier there. Not everyone goes off league tables and peoples perceptions. Therefore I don't think there are bad universities. Yes there are some that are less prestigious, have lower grade requirements and have "mickey mouse" degrees, but some people prefer these unis for their own reasons.

(Rant over)

ReputationRep:
    All universities are fine in my opinion if you are doing a good degree. End of day a degree is a degree.

ReputationRep:
    UEL is pretty crap though

ReputationRep:
    All of the Uni's that were previously Polys !

ReputationRep:

in Oxford brooke's case you are so wrong. It has really good courses in teacher training (is that called the pgce or something? I don't know...).
    It has excellent research departments like it's urban design department and loads of the formula one teams do their research there and recruit people from there.
    OxB is consistently the best modern university and proves that ex-polis don't have to be crap if they are run properly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.