Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    dont they recommend that you stick with strength programmes till you get to bw bench, 1.5 bw squat and 1.5-2 bw deadlift, before moving to an aesthetics/size program.

Maybe swap to something like 5/3/1 or WS4SB if your after something which isnt SS
    Cos im lazy I aint gonna google it- can you remember if those targets are 1Rm or 5Rm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnockoffNeil)
    on that basis im gonna be on SS for a looooooooong time. Bet your dead chuffed youve nearly hit those targets.
    Cheers brah - to be honest I reckon you'll probably catch up fast given how quick gains can be at the start - im still not that close though really - 15kg on squat dosnt sound like that much but it does to me

Today...
    Squat 102.5 3x5 - gonna hopefully equal my old pb next time
    Row 75 3x5 - Loving this lift atm
    Dead 132.5 x2 x1 - i know i have the strength to hit this, its just my grip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkey_Pete)
    dont they recommend that you stick with strength programmes till you get to bw bench, 1.5 bw squat and 1.5-2 bw deadlift, before moving to an aesthetics/size program.

Maybe swap to something like 5/3/1 or WS4SB if your after something which isnt SS
    Sounds arbitrary, why not 2.5xbw squat and 3xbw deadlift? Or more. Anyone should be able to achieve those fairly easily with linear progression. You'll be able to achieve much more aesthetically if you're stronger.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt realise my form sucked on squats so reset from beginning and decided to increase slower since we do em every day. Real confident in my deadlift (always look forward to dead day) prob gonna catch you alot sooner in those (fingers crossed)

Just my 2 cents but if your grip "sucks" try hanging from a chin bar for as long as you can for 3 sets at end of your sessions, and im sure theres other things like that, that can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Sounds arbitrary, why not 2.5xbw squat and 3xbw deadlift? Or more. Anyone should be able to achieve those fairly easily with linear progression. You'll be able to achieve much more aesthetically if you're stronger.
    You reckon they're easily attained with Linear progression? - I dont see that as easy myself but perhaps you're right - irregardless, i dont really want to be bodybuilder aesthetic (if i did id take your point of being able to do more) , i just want to be fairly "built".

ReputationRep:
    I don't think 3xBW deadlift is easily attainable for the vast majority of people doing just linear progression.

ReputationRep:
    Squat 105 3*5 - felt good - new 5rm next time
    Bench 65 3*5 - tough, but im thinking i may get 67.5x5 next time
    OHP 47.5x3 x1 40x5 40x3 - thats it, **** OHP - imma start doing seated DB press or something similar

ReputationRep:
    Its wierd how a lot of people on SS on here stall at the same point with OHP. Do you reckon its just the fatigue from doing it last? would eating something quick when youve finished squatting help perhaps just for an energy boost.

ReputationRep:
    My OHP started going up when I started doing more chin-ups.

I also started pressing twice a week, every week, Mon and Friday, doing a Madcow's rep/set scheme.

And cleaning the weight up first, and using a false-grip (aka suicide grip) really helped. False grip tacked on like 5kg straight away!

ReputationRep:
    My OHP stalled a bit so i put it first in my workout and then it went up easily and so did the next few kgs as well... Gone from 40 to 47.5 in a afew weeks...

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up on the OHP. Perhaps you are doing something wrong technique wise.

ReputationRep:
    Squat 107.5x5 x5 x4 - may have been able to hit the 5th but back rounded a bit so didnt go for it
    Row 77.5x4 x3 x4 Knew this was going to stall eventually, i reckon ill get 3*5 next time though
    Dead - ive been sick of missing 132.5 so went for a 1rm - 140x1 then went for 145 - 1st attempt didnt get it off the floor, second got it just above my knees but no way was i getting lockout
    Still - 3 plate dead *****es

ReputationRep:
    Squat 110x5 x4 x4 Sick, but very hard
    Bench 67.5 x5 x5 x3 Sick
    OHP - had a good look at form and am deloading, 40x5 or something - question I want to ask is what is used getting the bar of the chest upto about nose level - thats whats holding me back - i can always get lock out if i get it above forehead, but im weak in getting it off the shoulders - any assistance that would help this?

ReputationRep:
    Use the muscles in your upper back and lats to take the burden of the weight rather than just your shoulders. That should provide a much stronger pressing base.

ReputationRep:
    Horrible session - axams are ****ing me over
    Bench 70 x3 x3 x3
    squat 112.5x1 no better
    Assistance
    OHP 40x5 x5

ReputationRep:
    do you use leg drive when you OHP??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnockoffNeil)
    do you use leg drive when you OHP??
    That would make it a push press

ReputationRep:
    10 points well done. IMO if I need to get it up ill do whats necessary.......... and not just in pressing.

ReputationRep:
    i dont use any leg drive at all

ReputationRep:
    Basically my training has been ****ed by my realisation i'm in real danger of not passing my first year exams - so any training for the next month will be at best infrequent

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.