Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    two words...Stefan Kiszko

ReputationRep:
    Oh, brilliant solution to our problem. Yes, punish murderers and show them murder is immoral and wrong... by murdering them!

Ingenius, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnaalpha)
    Or educate people on how to raise children properly.
    Or that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)

Unfortunately, this site is mostly left-leaning to say the least, so the majority on here will probably not agree.
    :lolwut:

I'm hardly left wing, and i think the death penalty is barbaric and disgraceful...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    I'm actually shocked by the number of people here who are in favour of bringing back the death penalty. I knew there were a lot of right-wing people on TSR, but didn't think everyone was so reactionary! Almost all the evidence suggests that the death penalty is pointless. The only arguments to support it are grounded either in misconceptions about the prison system or a desire for revenge.
    Where is this stupid misconception of all right-wing people supporting the death penalty coming from??

ReputationRep:
    But if people knew that they were going to be put on death row they would feel encouraged to not hold back with the violence.

I heard somewhere that more violence and murders of other prisoners and patrol officers take place there than on the normal prison sections. This is because if you know that you are going to die there would be nothing stopping you from killing everyone around you. However if you got sentenced to say 10 years you know that you have a chance of getting out earlier because of good behavior, so would have the outside world to look forward to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Paradox)
    Where is this stupid misconception of all right-wing people supporting the death penalty coming from??
    I'm sorry if I implied that, because it's not what I meant. As a general rule, people who support the death penalty are right wing rather than left wing, with some exceptions, but this doesn't mean, and I don't think I ever said, that all right wing people, or even the majority of them, support the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rational Paradox)
    :lolwut:

I'm hardly left wing, and i think the death penalty is barbaric and disgraceful...
    Well there will always be exceptions on either side...though generally, it tends to be the left who are against it, and the right (typically the 'New Right') who support it.

ReputationRep:
    A discussion that was brought up many a time in A Level psychology and sociolgy.....

If police could 100% prove that a person was guilty of murder, would you vote to bring back the death penalty?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But only if it was 100%, and not an iota less.

This would be an easy way for governments to fabricate evidence and get rid of people that are against them forever.

ReputationRep:
      You can never be 100%, you humanity students need to do some maths.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by soutioirsim)
      You can never be 100%, you humanity students need to do some maths.
      ....Hehehe... Xhotas has ideas.

ReputationRep:
      Everyone deserves forgiveness for their mistakes no matter how big.

ReputationRep:
      Psychology is classed as a science.

So if you shoot someones brains out infront of people and it is also caught on camera....that would not be 100% proof?

I did not post to cause an argument, like i said it is just a very common debate.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
      Everyone deserves forgiveness for their mistakes no matter how big.
      How the **** can you call things like murder and rap a "mistake"?! Its intentional ffs.

ReputationRep:
      I think it's interesting that here in America, the states with death penalty are actually the states with the highest percentage of crime. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
      How the **** can you call things like murder and rap a "mistake"?! Its intentional ffs.
      So if you do something intentionally then acknowledge it was wrong and regret it. Is that not a mistake... An error of judgement..?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
      So if you do something intentionally then acknowledge it was wrong and regret it. Is that not a mistake... An error of judgement..?
      Sorry, I worded it badly. Yeah, you're right.

I just hate it when people think that everyone should be given a second chance even when they've caused unimaginable pain and suffering.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry, I worded it badly. Yeah, you're right.

I just hate it when people think that everyone should be given a second chance even when they've caused unimaginable pain and suffering.
      Yeah I understand what you mean and unless I experience something like this I wont truly know.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.