Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do you pay your parents a month? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents wouldn't take any rent from me when I first moved back in with them, but it's not fair because I'm 20 now and should be able to look after myself! I persuaded them to let me give them some money; they'll only take £100 a month off me at the moment, but I know it's better than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~)
    What is wrong with some parents...?!
    You shouldn't be making money out of your children, especially whilst their at uni. I think it's fair if you're living at home and working full time to contribute towards food and bills, but your parents shouldn't be making a profit out of you. My parent's said that they would rather me put money in a savings account.
    I don't think a parent should charge rent to their children while they are studying but I think it's a great idea for when graduates move home after university. I don't think any parent is doing it to make money off their kids (!) but it's the best way to get them to move on and realise that they'll have this monthly commitment from now on and for a large part of their life. If a parent doesn't charge monthly rent after graduation then the chance of the graduate still living at home for some time after uni increases massively!

I fully expect my parents to charge me rent when I've finished and I have little intention of sticking around for more than 2-3 months afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Lol nothing at all. Instead my dad gives me money every month haha ;p

I never used to get pocket money or what ever since a young age. My dad simple gives money to me when i need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    I pay my Dad £320 a month. Which is a lot in comparison to all my friends...

EDIT: I am in full time work though, I'm not a student
    Wow, I pay £3.75 more than you and that's to rent privately 180 miles from home... Haha!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm still in upper 6th so absolutely nada. My brother dropped out of Uni and pays £40 a week which is pretty decent IMO considering the amount of food he eats and electricity he uses..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    I pay £0.00 which I think is fair, considering I'm only 18.
    Last I checked, 18 = adult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Last I checked, 18 = adult
    I never said it wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Some people in this thread disgust me at how they can accuse parents of using their kids to make money or being selfish. We don't all come from high class backgrounds with our parents married and both doctors.
    My parents really struggled when they divorced and even more so when I dropped out of education. They asked if I could help contribute to living fees. I didn't suddenly think 'OMG they don't love me.' I'm an adult who, when living in their house, increasing their water/electricity/food bill. Why shouldn't I help them when they are struggling?

ReputationRep:
    I never said it wasn't.
    So why do you think its fair you don't pay your share?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    YOU PAY RENT YO YOUR PARENTS??
    what has the world come to...

neg rep me all you want..i asked my mum if she would take rent from me she looked at me as if i was crazy..
    maybe it's different with asian families..
    all of who is neg repping me have stingy parents.
    if you have your own money why shouldnt you contribute to help your parents out? obviously you cant if youre still dependent on them and no parent should expect that but why should they pay for you to live there buying your food paying your bills etc when you have your own money?

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't live at home but my sister does, shes almost 19, dropped out of college and is working part time in a supermarket and she doesn't pay my parents a penny, even though they act as her personal taxi all the damn time - they have very little money as it is and it angers me that she won't even offer to give anything to them - she earns around £600 a month and has nothing left after buying booze and clothes etc. I personally think she's incredibly selfish and immature - she'll have a real shock when one day she has to go into the big wide world herself - heck I spend the best part of £400 on rent and bills every month....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    So why do you think its fair you don't pay your share?
    Why should I? Why should an 18 year old have to pay rent in his own home? How many 18 year olds do you know that do (without lying to prove a point)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and if I was in work £200 a month, but I lost my job so now I just have to buy all the groceries, so about £100 and do all the housework.

I can't believe some people don't pay their parents rent. Fair enough if they don't want it, but all my friends have too, so I've never known anything else :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why should I? Why should an 18 year old have to pay rent in his own home? How many 18 year olds do you know that do (without lying to prove a point)?
    Not exactly rented, but contributing? Quite alot. Why wouldn't I help my parents when I can afford to? They raised me for 18 years. I don't see a problem helping out and I am honestly quite shocked people on here are disgusted by the idea.

ReputationRep:
    £160 a month.

ReputationRep:
    I'm lucky, I get money each month from my dad, at home or at uni. And then the maintenance he pays to my mom for me, she passes on to me during term time, then keeps when I'm at home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tw1x)
    Not exactly rented, but contributing? Quite alot. Why wouldn't I help my parents when I can afford to? They raised me for 18 years. I don't see a problem helping out and I am honestly quite shocked people on here are disgusted by the idea.
    My mum never asks for help, thus I don't help her. Don't get me wrong though, I wash what I use, put my clothes in the machine and also iron my own stuff. Sounds like nothing, but to be honest, I'm a low maintenance kid.

(Original post by Muffinz)
    £160 a month.
    Neglect on their part.

ReputationRep:
    Neglect on their part.
    I'm eighteen, therefore they have no duty of care. Life's a *****.

ReputationRep:
    So let me get this straight you live with your parents for about 18 years and pay no rent then all of a sudden when you turn 18 you have to pay rent that is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    So let me get this straight you live with your parents for about 18 years and pay no rent then all of a sudden when you turn 18 you have to pay rent that is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.
    Not when your suddenly 18. When you leave education.

My mum never asks for help, thus I don't help her. Don't get me wrong though, I wash what I use, put my clothes in the machine and also iron my own stuff. Sounds like nothing, but to be honest, I'm a low maintenance kid
    Thats fair enough. If your parents don't need your help, but say your parents did, would you not feel selfish knowing you have more disposable income than they do and you don't contribute anything?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.