Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to be a writer: How can I stand out? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    1. Don't do a degree in Creative Writing.
    2. Don't write about vampires if you want to be taken seriously (unless you turn the genre on its head or something).
    3. Have absolute bloody-minded confidence that your work NEEDS to be read.

Good luck.
    Daisy Lowe? Gosh.

(Original post by channy)
      Daisy Lowe? Gosh.
      Quite.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
      Quite.
      Isn't she going out with that doctor?

(Original post by channy)
        Isn't she going out with that doctor?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by plasterprincess)
        you can put copyright on it
        and how do you do this?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Doke)
        My main aspiration in life is to be a professional writer
        All you need is here. That, plus something interesting to say of course...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by 419)
        and how do you do this?
        when uploading the book it has a section for you to enter copyright information, it should be labelled in the section for forenote or dedications

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by maskofsanity)
        It wouldn't help more than studying the best writers in history, i.e. English Lit.
        What about doing both? My degree would be 75% literature and 25% creative writing. I have slight issues with creative writing degrees on their own or with something random because I don't think anyone can write without reading. You also can't write without writing. Sounds stupid but I've lost track of the number of people I know who want to be writers and have never picked up a pen. Or even a book for that matter.

And people say not to do a creative writing degree but just have a look at the alumni from UEA's Creative Writing MA.... :love:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by diamonddust)
        What about doing both? My degree would be 75% literature and 25% creative writing. I have slight issues with creative writing degrees on their own or with something random because I don't think anyone can write without reading. You also can't write without writing. Sounds stupid but I've lost track of the number of people I know who want to be writers and have never picked up a pen. Or even a book for that matter.

And people say not to do a creative writing degree but just have a look at the alumni from UEA's Creative Writing MA.... :love:
        That's what I was thinking when I first looked at the UCAS websites and I chose all courses that were Creative Writing combined with English Literature or, if they didn't offer that, English. But then I started worrying about money, etc., and dropped one of my options for the University of Bedfordshire. I know it's not great, but it's a three minute walk from my dad's house if I didn't get into any of my other options, so I wouldn't have to worry about moving or worrying about rent or anything yet. But it only offers Creative Writing and not a combined course, which sucks. So, if I'm bad enough that I get into none of the other four, only then will I be doing a degree that isn't combined with English Literature. And if I really suck that much, maybe I should forget the whole thing ha ha

ReputationRep:

Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro....just to name two....

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ninja Student)
        All you need is here. That, plus something interesting to say of course...
        That was really interesting!
        I'm not a fan of George Orwell but his tips were fantastic, I might print them off and put them on my notice board. People have posted some incredibly useful websites on here which I will endeavour to explore when I'm on my laptop.

To the OP, take a creative writing degree if that's what you wish but be proactive! Look into publishing, paticularly on ebooks, try and contact some authors, get as many people to read your work as possible and read!
        Good luck!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
        To the OP, take a creative writing degree if that's what you wish but be proactive! Look into publishing, paticularly on ebooks, try and contact some authors, get as many people to read your work as possible and read!
        Good luck!
        Cheers. I've applied to do Creative Writing combined with English Lit where available. I'm also looking at online publishing at Lulu.com, but I know that I have to do a lot to get people to buy it. I also look at writing competitions and a few people on here have offered to have a look at my stuff. At the moment, most of my stuff is too long for me to be comfortable uploading it for people to look at because I think it would put people off, so I'm going to finish my A2 English coursework which has to be around 2500 words and upload it and hopefully get some feedback, so y'all can help, ha ha. I read loads, but I have to save for uni, so I have to stop buying books, dammit!! ha ha. Ah, well. There's always charity shops, but I still tend to go overboard there too Te he he.

And thanks for the luck ^.^

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Doke)
        Cheers. I've applied to do Creative Writing combined with English Lit where available. I'm also looking at online publishing at Lulu.com, but I know that I have to do a lot to get people to buy it. I also look at writing competitions and a few people on here have offered to have a look at my stuff. At the moment, most of my stuff is too long for me to be comfortable uploading it for people to look at because I think it would put people off, so I'm going to finish my A2 English coursework which has to be around 2500 words and upload it and hopefully get some feedback, so y'all can help, ha ha. I read loads, but I have to save for uni, so I have to stop buying books, dammit!! ha ha. Ah, well. There's always charity shops, but I still tend to go overboard there too Te he he.

And thanks for the luck ^.^
        For books, having you tried websites like bookcrossing and readitswapit (you put a list of your books you don't mind swapping, then you can try and swap for books you want, just paying postage). Or find a library :p:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Zebrastripes)
        For books, having you tried websites like bookcrossing and readitswapit (you put a list of your books you don't mind swapping, then you can try and swap for books you want, just paying postage). Or find a library :p:
        Cool, I might have a look at those. I've cleaned out the library closest to me and I'm working on the one in the next town over, but I don't go there often so it's not going quickly. Ha ha.

ReputationRep:
        read
        http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Doke)
        That's what I was thinking when I first looked at the UCAS websites and I chose all courses that were Creative Writing combined with English Literature or, if they didn't offer that, English. But then I started worrying about money, etc., and dropped one of my options for the University of Bedfordshire. I know it's not great, but it's a three minute walk from my dad's house if I didn't get into any of my other options, so I wouldn't have to worry about moving or worrying about rent or anything yet. But it only offers Creative Writing and not a combined course, which sucks. So, if I'm bad enough that I get into none of the other four, only then will I be doing a degree that isn't combined with English Literature. And if I really suck that much, maybe I should forget the whole thing ha ha
        Don't be silly! You seem very eleoquent from your posts and you're passionate! The universities will see that in your application and snap you up. You don't need to be perfect, you just need potential, and as you're so anxious to release it, I have a feeling you'll be just fine!

(Original post by KingMessi)
        Ian McEwan, Kazuo Ishiguro....just to name two....
        :love: Why oh why did I apply to UEA? They're going to reject me and then I'll feel like ****. I worry everytime I get my hopes up about something (learnt response!) and whenever I think about UEA's amazing course and the amazing writers they helped produce, I get my hopes up. I shouldn't. :sigh: They've had my portfolio for a month now! What's going on?? :sad:
        /rant

ReputationRep:
        Don't formally study creative writing. Take this from someone who made that very mistake. Most writers can't teach and most teachers can't write. Being a writer is not aspiring to write, being a writer is writing. So write

And keep writing, until you get very good at it. Oh, and live, too, so you have something very good to write about.

ReputationRep:
        Don't be silly! You seem very eleoquent from your posts and you're passionate! The universities will see that in your application and snap you up. You don't need to be perfect, you just need potential, and as you're so anxious to release it, I have a feeling you'll be just fine!
        Thanks, that's really reassuring seeing as I know it's not coming from someone who feels like they have to make me feel better because they're related to me. I've been told by a few of my choices that they've received my application but I'm still nervous.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by goewyn)
        Don't formally study creative writing. Take this from someone who made that very mistake. Most writers can't teach and most teachers can't write. Being a writer is not aspiring to write, being a writer is writing. So write

And keep writing, until you get very good at it. Oh, and live, too, so you have something very good to write about.
        All of my options, I've applied to do English Lit with Creative Writing (or just English where English Lit isn't an option) and and I do write as much as I can, just because I can. I hope I'm good at it. Ha ha.

ReputationRep:
        jst av a USP. I learnd about it in Bus St. Rite in blu font or sumthin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.