The Student Room Group

Musician tour earnings released - more than footballers pay! (gasp)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
All of your arguments are so shallow its a joke. Yes it may be true that only certain footballers play in multi-country caps but this thread is about the highest paid footballers and 90% of the highest paid footballers do play in such competitions. The exact same thing could be argued of musicians in that only the top musicians will be required to travel all over the globe on one of their tours. Your argument about footballers getting paid to do something they did before for free makes no sense. There are probably thousands of people in this country who make their own music and get no profit from it. I would also assume that at some point in their lives the top musicians did not make any money from some of the music they made.

A) I'm obviously going to biased in favour of music.
B) Given that I've pretty much been arguing in the favour of musicians for the past x pages, I thought you would've picked up on that. However, if I've slated footballers for whatever reason and people have made a comeback using the exact same logic I applied against the footballers, but instead they're slating musicians... well, I haven't exactly said "you're wrong". So... what's your point?
C) I really really really really really don't care :h:
Reply 101
Original post by concubine
Ignorance is not sexy.

Lady Gaga deserves the money more than the footballers. She's incredibly smart; she has a degree. She has some real creative talent there.
Reply 102
I think part of the difference is that (some of) the revenue for the musicians comes from what people pay for their tickets, merchandise etc, whereas with footballers, it's what the club chooses to pay for them. If people think it's worth forking out however much for a gig ticket, I'd far rather that money went to the acts themselves rather than into the pockets of some massive corporation, particularly with smaller acts. I'm not trying to defend the high pay, but you have to be aware that for musicians, it isn't a salary like footballers receive.
Original post by M_E_X
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12088397

Lady Gaga earned ~£85m just from her one tour this year. This is about 8 times more than the very highest paid footballers earn.

Why do people whine incessantly about footballers when many other people (CEOs, athletes, musicians) earn lots of money as well? I don't see why footballers get so much flak and they don't. I think they all deserve it :smile: (the money, not the flak!)

Remember this £85m is just from this tour, and not from all record sales, sponsorship, etc. I think she deserves it but I wonder why people overlook this but moan about Rooney earning way less than 1/10th of this amount.

I would be interested to see how much of that she actually gets at the end of the tour. After paying the bills travel, location hire staffing etc. I would imagine she sees no where near that amount.

I remember seeing a documentary a few years ago saying that most tours cost the record company money and very few of the bands even come close to breaking even.

The bands in the show were well known bands and the only one to make a profit over the course of their respective tours was Metallica. Even then for a huge world tour the total profit was only around the £1m mark. After you've split that with your management and the band members and paid your income tax on it they wont be making a huge amount of money from touring.
Original post by Drunk Punx
A footballer doesn't have to do that though. They do it by choice, unless the club forces them out.
I'm pretty sure Gerrard could've moved from Anfield years ago if he wanted to do so, but he hasn't.

A musician will have fans around the world, and even if a footballer had fans all over the world, I doubt they'd be inclined to go and play a match over there just to please the fans.
For some musicians, it's all about pleasing the fans instead of selling out.
SLF, for example, still sell gig tickets at around £14. Iron Maiden tickets, on the other hand, can sell for £50+. So really the "musicians earn more than footballers based on ticket sales" is completely subjective to the band/artist.

Unlike Gerrard, few of the world's highest earning players are lucky enough that their local club is also one of the world's biggest clubs. For players from South America, Eastern Europe or basically anywhere outside the 'Big 4' leagues, they don't really have that much choice if they want a really successful career.

In my example, the 18 year old Brazilian doesn't HAVE to leave for England/Italy/Spain, but if he doesn't he'll never earn the £150k p/w wages we're talking about here, and thus is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

And besides, musicians don't HAVE to tour either, they do it by 'choice' as well (in that it's strongly in the interest of their careers regardless of loving their fans), so I don't really see what point you're trying to make here.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, the OP has specifically said on numerous occasions that all he wants is to clarify why people think footballer's wages are crazy when other athletes and entertainers earn more. The answer is quite clearly that people are just morons. This one-upsmanship about how"it's harder to be a footballer" "no it's harder to be a musician" "footballers are more dedicated" "no musicians are more dedicated" is just pathetic.

For every story about some guy who did his gig 4dafans! even though his throat was sore, there's one about how Cesc Fabregas had his leg broken in a foul tackle against Barcelona but got up to score the resulting penalty and played on for another ~10 minutes because Arsenal had no subs left.

Neither footballers nor musicians are any more or less 'deserving' of what they earn. They earn what the market will pay them. That's all there is to it. There is absolutely no point in moralising where morality is irrelevant.
Original post by mermania
Unlike Gerrard, few of the world's highest earning players are lucky enough that their local club is also one of the world's biggest clubs. For players from South America, Eastern Europe or basically anywhere outside the 'Big 4' leagues, they don't really have that much choice if they want a really successful career.

In my example, the 18 year old Brazilian doesn't HAVE to leave for England/Italy/Spain, but if he doesn't he'll never earn the £150k p/w wages we're talking about here, and thus is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

And besides, musicians don't HAVE to tour either, they do it by 'choice' as well (in that it's strongly in the interest of their careers regardless of loving their fans), so I don't really see what point you're trying to make here.

All of this is irrelevant anyway, the OP has specifically said on numerous occasions that all he wants is to clarify why people think footballer's wages are crazy when other athletes and entertainers earn more. The answer is quite clearly that people are just morons. This one-upsmanship about how"it's harder to be a footballer" "no it's harder to be a musician" "footballers are more dedicated" "no musicians are more dedicated" is just pathetic.

For every story about some guy who did his gig 4dafans! even though his throat was sore, there's one about how Cesc Fabregas had his leg broken in a foul tackle against Barcelona but got up to score the resulting penalty and played on for another ~10 minutes because Arsenal had no subs left.

Neither footballers nor musicians are any more or less 'deserving' of what they earn. They earn what the market will pay them. That's all there is to it. There is absolutely no point in moralising where morality is irrelevant.

You lost me at "The answer is quite clearly that people are just morons" :teehee:

Besides, I already said that it's subjective. In no way, shape, or form do most bands or artists actually earn more than footballers, regardless of ticket sales; it'll only be a small percentage that do. In fact, most bands wouldn't even earn what someone who plays for a team that is consistently in the First Division (well, back when the First Division was the First Division as opposed to being called the Coca Cola Championship or whatever they're calling it now) earns.
Which makes me think "Considering that, why the **** was this thread even made? :colonhash: "
You lost me at "The answer is quite clearly that people are just morons" :teehee:

Besides, I already said that it's subjective. In no way, shape, or form do most bands or artists actually earn more than footballers, regardless of ticket sales; it'll only be a small percentage that do. In fact, most bands wouldn't even earn what someone who plays for a team that is consistently in the First Division (well, back when the First Division was the First Division as opposed to being called the Coca Cola Championship or whatever they're calling it now) earns.
Which makes me think "Considering that, why the **** was this thread even made? :colonhash: "

Very few footballers earn the salaries people always drone on about. There are only something like 30 players in the world who are actually on more than £100k a week. The average Premier League salary in the 08/09 season according to Deloitte was £1.1m a year. Considering 10th on the tour income list was Roger Waters with £58m, I think it's only fair to compare the top earners in one industry with the top earners in another - I doubt the earnings of the 30 richest footballers and the 30 richest bands are all that different. But just like musicians, 'most' footballers don't earn such absurd amounts. The average Championship salary, for example, was only £275k a year. Plenty of lawyers and bankers earn more than that, never mind successful musicians.
Original post by M_E_X
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12088397

Lady Gaga earned ~£85m just from her one tour this year. This is about 8 times more than the very highest paid footballers earn.

Why do people whine incessantly about footballers when many other people (CEOs, athletes, musicians) earn lots of money as well? I don't see why footballers get so much flak and they don't. I think they all deserve it :smile: (the money, not the flak!)

Remember this £85m is just from this tour, and not from all record sales, sponsorship, etc. I think she deserves it but I wonder why people overlook this but moan about Rooney earning way less than 1/10th of this amount.

yeah but onces cost are taken out and the record, touring, etc. companies get their shares not that much is left for the artist
Very few footballers earn the salaries people always drone on about. There are only something like 30 players in the world who are actually on more than £100k a week. The average Premier League salary in the 08/09 season according to Deloitte was £1.1m a year. Considering 10th on the tour income list was Roger Waters with £58m, I think it's only fair to compare the top earners in one industry with the top earners in another - I doubt the earnings of the 30 richest footballers and the 30 richest bands are all that different. But just like musicians, 'most' footballers don't earn such absurd amounts. The average Championship salary, for example, was only £275k a year. Plenty of lawyers and bankers earn more than that, never mind successful musicians.

I'd love to earn that much in a year :sad:
Reply 109
My friend just told me that he now has no qualms about illegally downloading music and never will again.
Reply 110
Yeah, piracy is really killing music, isn't it? Killing it so much that big musicians could buy a small country after one tour :rolleyes:
Original post by M_E_X
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_It_on_Again:_The_Tour

They only did a relatively small number of venues, compared to Lady Gaga who did over 100 in this years tour.

http://www.billboard.com/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003685265

That is a lot more per show than Gaga (way more!), but they had to split that several ways.

Yeah, they filled old trafford with tickets starting at £55.
I was one of the "little people at the back" :P

Cheers for looking into that though, I'm way too lazy :biggrin:
Reply 112

Excellent point, thank you :smile:

Yep, correct. I stated this through the thread, I was comparing top earners with other top earners, and not the lower quartile or average or any other measure, but still people don't seem to get that.

I have stated several times I am comparing the top earners in one field with the top earners in the other, which is why I have used examples like Lady Gaga and Steven Gerrard consistently through this thread. If I was looking at averages (something I am not interested in), then it wouldn't make sense to use such specific examples.

When people complain about footballers being overpaid (what this thread is trying to address), they often say "Wayne Rooney is on £x per week" or "Steven Gerrard is on £y per week", not "the average footballer earns...". So again, I was comparing people at the very highest pay with other people at the highest pay in other sectors, and questioning why the general public think one is acceptable and the other is not - even though both salaries come about as a result of a free and fair market.
Original post by aeonflux

Original post by aeonflux
Downloading music has nothing to do with it, artists have always made the vast majority of their earnings from live shows. On the other hand, the vast majority of money from the price of a CD goes to the record label and big business.

In short, if you want to support artists you're better off downloading their music for free and using the money you save to go to their gigs.

Yes I know touring has always been the vast majority of artists earnings. But you can't say that the rise of downloading has not had any affect on their touring too. Because they're losing so much more from album sales know, their obviously going to have to rely a lot more on touring for income.
anyone who is claiming footballers are lazy and don't derserve money, while muscians do & aren't lazy.

**** You Moron. = )

One idiot even said muscians get paid from their fans and footballers don't, LOL.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Respect4Acting
anyone who is claiming footballers are lazy and don't derserve money, while muscians do & aren't lazy.

**** You Moron. = )

One idiot even said muscians get paid from their fans and footballers don't, LOL.

I don't think anyone's idiotic enough to claim either of those things...
I don't think anyone's idiotic enough to claim either of those things...

Lawlz very true, otherwise :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending