More Rejections than Offers? Advice and Support *Here* Watch

ryvita93
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
I applied to do French and Linguisitics at Leeds, Lancaster, Sheffield, Newcastle and Nottingham Trent - all offers were for ABB (except Nottingham which is CCC) and i was predicted CCC

Due to my stupid teachers' refusal to raise my predictions, (even though they did it for other students!) i applied for this course instead of Law and French because the offer was much lower and the course less popular.

I have offers from Nottingham (CCC) and Lancaster who has raised their offer to AAB due to popular demand!! :O

After my retakes i have changed my AS from CDD to ABB (an A in history) so my head of sixth form asked Leeds to reconsider me as they were my first choice but they just rejected me because they said that that they could only choose people they were SURE would meet their demands. im sure that they've rejected me because my french teacher would only predict me a B instead of an A because she thinks i cant do better, even though i recently got an A in a mock paper!

I dont want to go to Lancaster because i didnt like the university
What options do i have? Should i call leeds and ask them if i can be considered for another course?
Can i still go into clearing even if i firm lancaster and meet their grades?
Im at a cross-roads....

PLEASE HELP ME! (Sorry for the essay)
Cherryblossom4you
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Why don't you check with St.Andrews about the new info? They might give you an offer like RHUL. Are you planning on reapplying next year then? Best of luck with whatever you decide

Offers from RHUL, Durham and a sneaky offer after rejection from UCL, which I'm now firming. I'm very lucky to a)get an offer in the first place b) have my rejection reconsidered but the whole oxbridge thing is definitely at the back of my head still :rolleyes:
hello!
may i know how u made them reconsider your rejection?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cherryblossom4you)
hello!
may i know how u made them reconsider your rejection?
I had mitigating circumstances around my GCSE grades (they met the requirements, but apart from that nothing great) which was only briefly mentioned in my reference. After getting feedback that it was these grades that warranted the rejection, I emailed them with more detail and they sent me a subject questionnaire to prove myself and voila!
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got an offer from UEA for English and Philosophy....
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KingMessi)
WOOOOOOOOOO! I take it you haven't visited yet? And do join us in the UEA forum, we are a friendly bunch!
ryvita93
Report 8 years ago
I've got an offer from Lancaster (AAB) and Nottingham Trent (CCC) for French an linguistics but I was rejected from my first choice, Leeds, today.
I don't really want to go to Lancaster.

What should/can I do? Should I call Leeds and ask if theyll let me read another course?
Im at a cross-roads....

PLEASE HELP ME!
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
WOOOOOOOOOO! I take it you haven't visited yet? And do join us in the UEA forum, we are a friendly bunch!
No, I haven't. I'm going to try during the Easter holidays.

I shall do that ASAP.

Thank you for the positive reaction.
queen.nothing
Report 8 years ago
I didn't get any offers, but I only made 4 choices so Im not eligible for extra. So Ive clicked the 'add choice' button (after confirming I can apply to the uni). Im sending a new personal statement to them by email. The forms ask for further details, should I mention the email with my statement as furhter detail? ta =]
Muffinz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so pleased for you!!!
angelmxxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ryvita93)
I've got an offer from Lancaster (AAB) and Nottingham Trent (CCC) for French an linguistics but I was rejected from my first choice, Leeds, today.
I don't really want to go to Lancaster.

What should/can I do? Should I call Leeds and ask if theyll let me read another course?
Im at a cross-roads....

PLEASE HELP ME!
Do you want to go to Trent? If you actually want to do law then I think the best thing is definitely a gap year. Means you can apply with good grades (assuming you get them in the summer!) rather than low predictions, you can spend the whole summer working out which unis you want to apply to, if you need to take the LNAT, etc. You can then apply to unis you like for the course you want and spend a gap year saving up for uni and maybe getting some work experience which will be really valuable!

If you firm Lancaster and meet their grades you can ask to withdraw from them but it can take a few days which isn't really great as clearing is so hectic. Also I very much doubt any AAB unis would be in clearing for law - although it's more likely for law and french.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I shall do that ASAP.

Are there no visit days left for your course? Whats the grade requirements?
greebo-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
3 rejections, two offers. not fussed becauuuse I had 5 choices, I applied to 5 places i wanted to go more than anything!

haha funny story actually, at the start of the year i was pred. A*A*A and was working hard, at that level cause I truly thought i would get a hard offer, then when my UCL rejection came in i started the killer decline into dossery.

Jan results were **** now I'm bricking not getting AAB! haha
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by greebo-man)
3 rejections, two offers. not fussed becauuuse I had 5 choices, I applied to 5 places i wanted to go more than anything!

haha funny story actually, at the start of the year i was pred. A*A*A and was working hard, at that level cause I truly thought i would get a hard offer, then when my UCL rejection came in i started the killer decline into dossery.

Jan results were **** now I'm bricking not getting AAB! haha
Manchester & Cardiff are still very good unis, you just got to pick yourself up again now.
greebo-man
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester & Cardiff are still very good unis, you just got to pick yourself up again now.
oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I was so grateful for one let alone two. just stopped working at A*A*A! bad move
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I shall do that ASAP.

I would recomend you do. What was the offer? And your very welcome, I hope with your AS grades we will be in the same place come September
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Muffinz)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so pleased for you!!!
Thank you.
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would recomend you do. What was the offer? And your very welcome, I hope with your AS grades we will be in the same place come September
Me too...although I still am tempted to reapply...:erm:

We shall see....
KingMessi
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are there no visit days left for your course? Whats the grade requirements?
I don't think so as I went through extra.

The offer is ABB....
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think so as I went through extra.

The offer is ABB....
That should be achievable then. If you get AAA or more come the summer then by all means consider it, but think about whether you really want to take a gap year, and if so plan what you are going to do. It will be a long year if you don't.
username641352
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wow its really good to know other people are in the same position as me - and having the same thoughts!

i got rejected from 3 veterinary uni's and durham but got an offer from nottingham so i think im going to do work experience and see what my grades are in summer. If theyre not good enough ill go to nottingham and the work experience wont have done me any harm - if theyre decent - hello UCAS once again :P

I must admit, if not slightly concerning, this thread has given me more information for this situation than my school has! for example no-one had mentioned UCAS- adjustment to me before i read this!
so I'll repeat what everyone else has said; thankyou
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads