Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So picking up my 64gb 3G model from John Lewis tomorrow. CEX are still offering silly money for them and I don't feel bad about ripping them off instead of some desperate sod off eBay. Sell then buy at later date? I don't need 64gb so with the profit made from CEX and the choice of a lower capacity iPad = healthy discount. Hmm, what do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiberiFatali)
    So picking up my 64gb 3G model from John Lewis tomorrow. CEX are still offering silly money for them and I don't feel bad about ripping them off instead of some desperate sod off eBay. Sell then buy at later date? I don't need 64gb so with the profit made from CEX and the choice of a lower capacity iPad = healthy discount. Hmm, what do?
    Have you owned an iPad before. if so, would you recommend it? I have ordered a 32GB wifi model, but it is estimated to arrive on 6th May so I have time to cancel in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    You're a bit of a **** if you own an ipad..

ReputationRep:
    Still a complete waste. Maybe if it had OS X on rather than iOS, but as it is, pointless rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    You're a bit of a **** if you own an ipad..

(Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Still a complete waste. Maybe if it had OS X on rather than iOS, but as it is, pointless rubbish.
    Do either of you own one? or have you ever owned one? I am guessing not!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Why would I own one, I've just said I think it's crap. I've used one, which is what I need to be able to form an opinion of it, and as I said, since they threw on iOS rather than a proper system like OS X, it's wasted, where it could have had a fair bit of potential.

ReputationRep:
    Piece of crap :P

ReputationRep:
    I've used one and the ipad is probably more gimmicky than the wii.

ReputationRep:
    the iPad is another example of apple being able to sell crap to the cows.. it's expensive for what it does, which isn't any better (and in some ways worse) than some of the alternatives on android which do things like flash, and can run usual computer tasks, don't require itunes etc.. I have an android based pad, does everything the ipad does, plus flash and has a market place full of aps that don't have to be approved by apple, and cost under half the price of the ipad...

I literally can't justify doing one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evil Monkey)
    Why would I own one, I've just said I think it's crap. I've used one, which is what I need to be able to form an opinion of it, and as I said, since they threw on iOS rather than a proper system like OS X, it's wasted, where it could have had a fair bit of potential.
    But I think you need to have used it for a week at least to know whether it really is crap. I don't have an iPad, I have only ever bought 1 Apple product - one of the first iPod minis.

(Original post by dzeh)
    I guess it depends. I do agree it is gimmicky, no-one NEEDS it, but its handy just for surfing the web and for the apps. I don't own an iphone or ipod touch, neither does anyone in my house so this will be quite good imo. But for those with ipod touches/iphones, the iPad probably isn't all that. I just think it'd make a great alternative to the laptop for light internet surfing and reading the news/magazines and also perhaps even good for books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    Nothing is more gimmicky than the Wii ;D

ReputationRep:
    it looks cool....
    I would get it if I had the money, mainly for its pdf reading capabilities...

ReputationRep:
    Have you owned an iPad before. if so, would you recommend it? I have ordered a 32GB wifi model, but it is estimated to arrive on 6th May so I have time to cancel in the meantime.
    Yeah I had the first generation iPad as well. Would I recommend it? It all depends on what you will need it for. For me it's the kind of casual device you keep in the lounge to web browse, check email or play the odd game. Apps add a lot of functionality as well, but I don't think it will ever beat the flexibility or speed of a laptop. Then again, it depends on the person. People either find a way to fit an iPad into their lives or they don't. Beauty of it is that it's in such demand that resell values are decent and Apple also have a good refund policy!

My advice, try it out and see how you get on with it. If it's not for you then well you have plenty of options to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know there was an Ipad2 out? :P so I want your grandmother in my bed

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you're trying to do with it. Granted the question wasn't directed at me but I had one before so I guess I could help

The battery life is amazing, so if you're planning on surfing the web, taking notes, watching videos, looking at pictures, etc., you'll get hours upon hours of life with this thing.

Back when I had mine (first generation), I would charge it while in the room (I'm a freshman at a Uni right now) and take it out with me to class; I could go at least 3 days on the thing if I didn't play games; if I did play games, I could go two days at least (this is with extremely heavy use).

It's great for taking notes on in class, although you don't have the complete editing and composing power you might get with Word. I mostly took notes on it from lecture or out of the book so those things weren't important; if you have a computer or something that runs a real composing application that you can print from, this will be a great add-on.

On the entertainment side, the device is great for playing HD video straight from youtube or the browser. The problem here though is that the iPad doesn't play Flash. At all. This means flash heavy sites (news sites, some shopping cites, etc) won't work on the device.

A lot of mainstream sites are going to HTML5 however, which works perfectly for the iPad, so you aren't going to have any major problems, however it does get irritating if you repeatedly keep seeing the blue lego in place of something you want to watch.

Games are great and fun; you aren't going to get console quality games but at the rate they're going they will only get better; definitely better than anything on a smartphone or handheld (psp, ds, etc.) can provide (of course in my opinion).

All in all it's a great product if you're only trying to do what Apple intends for you to do (which is the case for practically all of their devices, but that's another story.)

I loved the thing and only sold it because I just didn't have the time to use it.

Typed in a hurry so excuse me if there are any mistakes; hope that helped

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.