13inch or 15inch macbook pro Watch

Mazty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by winter_mute)
Or record every piece of music you hear. I dare you to find even a medium sized recording studio that doesn't use Macs. Or Graphics companies.
Hey, how's 3DS Max coming on for Macs?
:rofl:
Guess how much audacity costs? £0.00. Guess what I can do with it?
"record every piece of music you hear"
Not to mention PC's have better sound hardware and better hardware options in general. And a lower price tag.
Now go away & learn something about PC's.

Another tally for the scoreboard to show Mac users know **** all about PCs and are just kids with too much money and simply want a fashion accessory. Unless you use it for Unix, then you're excused.
Fallen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't need the space, then save the money. To be honest for £40 it'll save you trouble if you need to upgrade in the future. The drive they use would cost you more to buy from any retailer.

That being said you can find a USB 1TB hard disc for around £50 now. I'd partition it so that 320 of the drive can be used for time machine, and the rest for extra external space.
Do you know which precise model number they used for their HDDs? If I remember they use a 5400rpm Seagate?
You can easily pick up a new 500GB Seagate for under £40, and whilst keeping the other 320GB HDD.

180GB is not worth £40.
I am all for Apple products. The base models are reasonable priced.
But the second you try to upgrade they try to steal your first born child. It isn't so bad here, but if I remember correctly it used to be something like £80 for a 2GB memory module, and their SSDs...
Fallen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
Not to mention PC's have better sound hardware and better hardware options in general. And a lower price tag.

Another tally for the scoreboard to show Mac users know **** all about PCs and are just kids with too much money and simply want a fashion accessory. Unless you use it for Unix, then you're excused.
Oh just shush.
If you are generalising every since Mac user because of one person, regardless of whatever they could possibly have said, you are a moron. Simple as.

And if you are about to call me an "Apple fanboy retard" or whatever immature thing was about to shoot out your ignorant mouth, you can save it. I am a PC user because I can build them myself cheaper.
That said, Macbooks are very sensibly priced for their specs, general quality (Colour Gamut!), etc. if you don't pick any addons. Do the upgrading yourself, and they are just as cheap as any well-build PC. If you doubt that then you are simply wrong.
Stop embarrassing PC users, Western civilisation, and humanity in general.
winter_mute
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)

Audacity is an audio editor, not a DAW. You obviously don't know the difference.

"Better sound hardware"? Really? Care to explain? (this should be interesting)
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fallen)
Do you know which precise model number they used for their HDDs? If I remember they use a 5400rpm Seagate?
You can easily pick up a new 500GB Seagate for under £40, and whilst keeping the other 320GB HDD.

180GB is not worth £40.
I am all for Apple products. The base models are reasonable priced.
But the second you try to upgrade they try to steal your first born child. It isn't so bad here, but if I remember correctly it used to be something like £80 for a 2GB memory module, and their SSDs...
They use this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153103

It's a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate momentus. That's the cheapest you can find it ATM, Amazon has it for 1p more.

Edit: I'd agree, but in order to be correct you'd somehow have to be able to expand your HD capacity without changing the disk!
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Audacity is an audio editor, not a DAW. You obviously don't know the difference.

"Better sound hardware"? Really? Care to explain? (this should be interesting)
Ever heard of a dedicated sound card? :rolleyes:
Macs don't come with one last I checked.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159671
Vs.
"Two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers"

Such a hard choice! :rofl:

You didn't say DAW though did you? So you think Garage Band is the only DAW out there?
Well, here is some that work on PC (more PC exclusive than Mac exclusive :fyi:) :

Considering you have more options and better hardware on PC, why the **** would you go for a Mac?
2 - 0
PS. Nice omission of mentioning 3DS Max.
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
Ever heard of a dedicated sound card? :rolleyes:
Macs don't come with one last I checked.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159671
Vs.
"Two internal 17-watt high-efficiency amplifiers"

Such a hard choice! :rofl:

You didn't say DAW though did you? So you think Garage Band is the only DAW out there?
Well, here is some that work on PC (more PC exclusive than Mac exclusive :fyi:) :

Considering you have more options and better hardware on PC, why the **** would you go for a Mac?
LOL

You really know **** all do you? Do you really think ANY recording studio uses internal sound cards? http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index.php?id=22&catId=15 educate yourself. The majority of those products are Mac only.

Most of those DAW's you list are for electronic music production and 3 of them are for DJ'ing and almost all are low-level entry products, not to mention the majority of those programs also run on Mac's natively. The standard is Pro tools, which is both Mac and PC compatible. Do you know the difference in stability between ASIO (pc) and core audio (mac)? Or Midi latency. There's a reason all studios moved over to Apple.

Edit: 3DS? You're citing one single CAD product as a reason for PC being superior? :rolleyes:
Fallen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They use this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153103

It's a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate momentus. That's the cheapest you can find it ATM, Amazon has it for 1p more.

Edit: I'd agree, but in order to be correct you'd somehow have to be able to expand your HD capacity without changing the disk!
Oh, I was under the mistaken impression they still used the 5400rpm model!
My bad!

Yeah well, you pretty much void any Apply warranty by using the damn thing :rolleyes:
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, I was under the mistaken impression they still used the 5400rpm model!
My bad!

Yeah well, you pretty much void any Apply warranty by using the damn thing :rolleyes:
In MBP's you can change the RAM and HD's yourself without voiding the warranty. If you open up the rest of the case and start poking around with the logic board, that's a different story!
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOL

You really know **** all do you? Do you really think ANY recording studio uses internal sound cards? http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index.php?id=22&catId=15 educate yourself. The majority of those products are Mac only.

Most of those DAW's you list are for electronic music production and 3 of them are for DJ'ing and almost all are low-level entry products, not to mention the majority of those programs also run on Mac's natively. The standard is Pro tools, which is both Mac and PC compatible. Do you know the difference in stability between ASIO (pc) and core audio (mac)? Or Midi latency. There's a reason all studios moved over to Apple.

Edit: 3DS? You're citing one single CAD product as a reason for PC being superior? :rolleyes:
:facepalm:
http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index....Id=40&catId=15
Firstly, those products are meant to be used WITH A ****ING SERVER. Not a standard computer.
Secondly, please find me on that list which are Mac only, because they ALL are on windows as well. Nice one.
When did the studios move over to Macs? Mid 90's? Now how much has Windows and computing come on since then? PCs easily surpass Macs unless you are dicking around with Unix.
Would it not make sense to get a PC with far, far better specs then any Mac offers, for half the price, get one of those windows compatible audio interfaces, and *bam* better than a Mac in everyway?
And how's 3DS Max coming along for Macs?
Fallen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In MBP's you can change the RAM and HD's yourself without voiding the warranty. If you open up the rest of the case and start poking around with the logic board, that's a different story!
Oh my G...!

I really need to stop talking. I swear it used to void the warranty?
But, having just read the thing, you are indeed (as expected) correct.
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh my G...!

I really need to stop talking. I swear it used to void the warranty?
But, having just read the thing, you are indeed (as expected) correct.
It depends on the computer. The Imac's used to be voidable if you changed the ram, but now they use pop-out slots like the old white (pre unibody) macbooks use. As a general rule those 2 components are swappable without voiding the warranty. The only exception is the Macbook air as the SSD and RAM are soldiered onto the logic board.

Genius's like to use the "We can't fix your Mac if it has 3rd party **** in it". I never used that line when I worked there, because it's *******s (unless it actually is the 3rd's partys fault.) So hold onto your old components in case they do.

Sadly Genius's have to toe the line, if your too generous you get **** on from a great height. Unlike managers who are told to be as generous as possible. So if you ever have a problem, ask to speak to a manager and raise hell. I've seen someone get upgraded from a faulty Imac to a Mac Pro (8 core) and a Apple display :eek:
Fallen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It depends on the computer. The Imac's used to be voidable if you changed the ram, but now they use pop-out slots like the old white (pre unibody) macbooks use. As a general rule those 2 components are swappable without voiding the warranty. The only exception is the Macbook air as the SSD and RAM are soldiered onto the logic board.

Genius's like to use the "We can't fix your Mac if it has 3rd party **** in it". I never used that line when I worked there, because it's *******s (unless it actually is the 3rd's partys fault.) So hold onto your old components in case they do.

Sadly Genius's have to toe the line, if your too generous you get **** on from a great height. Unlike managers who are told to be as generous as possible. So if you ever have a problem, ask to speak to a manager and raise hell. I've seen someone get upgraded from a faulty Imac to a Mac Pro (8 core) and a Apple display :eek:
I don't use Macs anyway

I like the things, but I would just boot up Windows and Linux most of the time anyway, plus the 17" Pro is more expensive than I would care to spend.
Toying with the idea of getting an Air at some point, but waiting for the next update and see how much money I earn between now and then.

P.s. I want a Mac Pro. You can keep the screen as payment!
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
:facepalm:
http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index....Id=40&catId=15
Firstly, those products are meant to be used WITH A ****ING SERVER. Not a standard computer.
Secondly, please find me on that list which are Mac only, because they ALL are on windows as well. Nice one.
When did the studios move over to Macs? Mid 90's? Now how much has Windows and computing come on since then? PCs easily surpass Macs unless you are dicking around with Unix.
Would it not make sense to get a PC with far, far better specs then any Mac offers, for half the price, get one of those windows compatible audio interfaces, and *bam* better than a Mac in everyway?
And how's 3DS Max coming along for Macs?
The Apogee card is used by Dre and most of the American Hip-hop community.

Am I really going to have to spell out why server workstations are superior in an environment where you're through-putting Gigabytes per second. Or where you have to use long real-time renders?

Most audio plugins and apps come out later for PC because Window's audio capabilities are much, much inferior. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...ician_0707.htm Nothing's improved since then.

As for the list, it's ridiculous for you to ask me to find mac only software on pc only software. Logic is second biggest DAW and is Mac only, along with Digital performer (which is arguably the biggest in America after Pro Tools).

Like it or not, Mac's dominate the creative field and for good reason.
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't use Macs anyway

I like the things, but I would just boot up Windows and Linux most of the time anyway, plus the 17" Pro is more expensive than I would care to spend.
Toying with the idea of getting an Air at some point, but waiting for the next update and see how much money I earn between now and then.

P.s. I want a Mac Pro. You can keep the screen as payment!
This should silence all the nay sayers in this thread.

I bought a 8 core mac pro in 2008 for £1500. It broke down twice (Apple picked it up and returned it for free). It broke down for a third time, and they gave me a 2010 12 core for free. That's over a £2,500 price difference!

Ps. At the time those xeon CPU chips cost £500 each. So It wasn't overpriced at all.
Mazty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Apogee card is used by Dre and most of the American Hip-hop community.

Am I really going to have to spell out why server workstations are superior in an environment where you're through-putting Gigabytes per second. Or where you have to use long real-time renders?

Most audio plugins and apps come out later for PC because Window's audio capabilities are much, much inferior. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul0...ician_0707.htm Nothing's improved since then.

As for the list, it's ridiculous for you to ask me to find mac only software on pc only software. Logic is second biggest DAW and is Mac only, along with Digital performer (which is arguably the biggest in America after Pro Tools).

Like it or not, Mac's dominate the creative field and for good reason.
Dre uses it....point? :confused:
Yes a server is great, BUT it is a server, and therefore only comparable to other servers, which still means it's hardware is pretty dire.
Interesting article, but so is this one:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...notes_0610.htm
"So, yes, Windows 7 is proving very good for music production and, if all your hardware now has compatible drivers, it certainly makes sense to go for it on a new PC."
Seems Windows 7 is a good route for music production, as XP was ****, Vista was eh, but 7 is finally where MS can make a good name for themselves. Can't see why you say "nothing has improved since then"....

So what is the good reason they dominate? They are slower & more expensive. Yeah, great reason to have a Mac.
Oh, how's 3DS Max doing for Macs?

Either way your argument is still pretty pointless as you are arguing for a Mac server, meaning the macbooks and iMacs are all redundant, killing this thread. :top:
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mazty)
Dre uses it....point? :confused:
Yes a server is great, BUT it is a server, and therefore only comparable to other servers, which still means it's hardware is pretty dire.
Interesting article, but so is this one:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...notes_0610.htm
"So, yes, Windows 7 is proving very good for music production and, if all your hardware now has compatible drivers, it certainly makes sense to go for it on a new PC."
Seems Windows 7 is a good route for music production, as XP was ****, Vista was eh, but 7 is finally where MS can make a good name for themselves. Can't see why you say "nothing has improved since then"....

So what is the good reason they dominate? They are slower & more expensive. Yeah, great reason to have a Mac.
Oh, how's 3DS Max doing for Macs?

Either way your argument is still pretty pointless as you are arguing for a Mac server, meaning the macbooks and iMacs are all redundant, killing this thread. :top:
Why the hell are you asking the same question over and over. I'm assuming you have allusions to be a game designer/developer one day. I have friends who work in (and I've visited) Microsoft in Cambridge, Rebellion in Oxford and Lionhead. Guess what? They all use a blend of Macs and PC. You bang on about 3Ds, but how's Maya doing for Mac? Very well. Go to the sound design department, how many guys there use PC? Unless they themselves want it, it'll almost always be Apple computers.

You make very little sense in all of your posts, and quite clearly have no actual industry knowledge of what you're talking about. Go out and actually work and then we'll talk. (That's if there are any game studios left in this country by then)
CookieDoughLove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought a 13" would be far too small but now I can't imagine it any other way. It's 'just right' any smaller would be an issue, but 13" is fine
Palladium
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
15 inch deffo better than the 13inch esp for university, my brother has the 13inch and it is too small! Make sure you use educational discount - that is how I got my macbook cheaply!
winter_mute
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Palladium)
15 inch deffo better than the 13inch esp for university, my brother has the 13inch and it is too small! Make sure you use educational discount - that is how I got my macbook cheaply!
With the price difference, you could get a 13" and a 24" screen for your room. If you don't need the 2 extra cores/higher spec graphics card, then you'll save money going for the 13"

I agree with you though, I don't think I could go back to a 13", we'll see.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads