Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyah)
    but this isn't even a joke - japanese people can pronounce the letter 'w' - the common mispronounciation is r or l (i forget which). so it's just utter ****.
    I bet you're a barrel of laughs on a night out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqliu90)
    It's not the jokes that get to me, it's the "Japan deserves this for what they did in WWII. It's Karma"

Stupidity 1 humanity 0
    Try people stating that Japan deserves it for starting WWII :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    That the jokes are the coping mechanism for those telling them, and possibly those hearing them. Thus, the Japanese really don't matter that much, as humans are invariably selfish.

The Japanese might find them offensive, but various coping mechanisms are found offensive by people, self-harm being a good example. It's not up to you or anyone else to cast judgement upon others for how they cope, especially as it's such a common method around the world.

I bet the Japanese will be using their own type of humour to cope even now.
    I find it hard to believe that you're putting this forward as a blanket statement.

Some people are actually just being idiots and are trying to annoy people with their 'jokes'.

We can judge all we like, like someone has already mentioned, if another country was coming up with jokes about 7/7 we wouldn't find it funny in the least.

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was gonna be a joke thread

Just because people laugh at 'offensive' jokes doesn't mean that they actually deep down think that the situation is funny. The likes of Jimmy Carr and Frankie Boyle say far worse on a daily basis and they're painfully unfunny.

(Original post by Guy Secretan)
    i thought this was gonna be a joke thread
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you and the others complaining about such jokes should actually look into the psychology of joke making and realise there is a definite reason why people make jokes about tragedies and disasters.

Joking about such things helps create distance from the subject and thus helps people deal with it. Humour has been used as a coping mechanism for millenia and will be for millenia more. To call people "sick" or "in need of serious help" for using this mechanism is rather idiotic and shows a lack of understanding. You and others might not find them funny, but that doesn't negate their worth for others.
    I see your point, but I don't see how jokes about Japan will help them "create distance from the subject" or "help them deal with it".

For example:
    "my Japanese girlfriend just broke up with me, but I'm not worried... there are plenty more in the sea"
    "Thank you, friend from america, that is humorous. On a side note, so are my mother and father and sister."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hongieee)
    Yes I do care.
    Almost a third of my family are currently missing/dead in Japan due to that tsunami. And he most definately knew that.
    Don't worry Hongieee. Plenty more family in the sea.

ReputationRep:
    I got two. What do you call Japanese people washed out to sea? Human sushi!

And now that all the Japanese have been swept into the sea, now the whales will get their revenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Sarcasm is mimicking the tone/language you'd use when you take something seriously. Because the mimicry is overdone, people realise you really don't take it seriously at all - and the implication is that the something isn't worth taking seriously.

****, overdone example:
    Ho: Omg omg omg I must have those shoes right now, I can't last another second without them!
    Bro: You'd better be careful, footwear deprivation is one of the fastest rising causes of death in our society.

Jokes about a natural disaster are played like normal jokes: taking something that is worth taking seriously and, well, not taking it seriously. With time this becomes more acceptable, but a few days after the disaster, well, that just makes you a premier cut dickwad.
    ok. I get it. like mean irony. thanks for explaining it to me.

but what about black humour? this also typically British so I was surprised that so many people had a negative attitude towards jokes on Japan theses days.

I am not offending just interested. British people are interesting people to me, so I want to know how they see the world, what they think or judge differently. I wrote a term paper on humour in British TV and the depiction of German people like in Fawlty Towers or Little Britain.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't surprise me to be honest. People do them for everything which is inappropriate.....

Madeline McCann.
    Michael Jackson.
    Japan.
    9/11.

ReputationRep:
    Japan has just released a statement in responce to the UK sending over 10 search and rescue dogs.

"They tasted great"

ReputationRep:
    I know, there's loads of jokes going round about Japan atm. It must be something in the water.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point, but I don't see how jokes about Japan will help them "create distance from the subject" or "help them deal with it".
    For example:
    "my Japanese girlfriend just broke up with me, but I'm not worried... there are plenty more in the sea"
    "Thank you, friend from america, that is humorous. On a side note, so are my mother and father and sister."
    That's because you're assuming I meant help the Japanese. As I've argued elsewhere it helps the person telling the joke.

(Original post by Kaykiie)
    I find it hard to believe that you're putting this forward as a blanket statement.

Some people are actually just being idiots and are trying to annoy people with their 'jokes'.

We can judge all we like, like someone has already mentioned, if another country was coming up with jokes about 7/7 we wouldn't find it funny in the least.
    And yet, 7/7 is used for the topic of jokes, so...

Some people might be trying to piss people off, but as a large amount of research has gone into the topic and asserts that those who tell such jokes do so to help them deal with it, though it's not a conscious thing, I think I'm going to keep to my original statement.

That you and others in here find it hard to stomach doesn't stop it being true.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hylean;30365946]That's because you're assuming I meant help the Japanese. As I've argued elsewhere it helps the person telling the joke.

In that case, only the Japanese should joke about their disaster?

ReputationRep:
    In that case, only the Japanese should joke about their disaster?
    Only if you assume only the Japanese are affected, which isn't the case.

Besides, I've no idea if the Japanese even tell jokes, that kind of humour might not be part of their culture. As I've said elsewhere in the thread, I am sure they are using humour somehow, though.

ReputationRep:
    And yet, 7/7 is used for the topic of jokes, so...

Some people might be trying to piss people off, but as a large amount of research has gone into the topic and asserts that those who tell such jokes do so to help them deal with it, though it's not a conscious thing, I think I'm going to keep to my original statement.

That you and others in here find it hard to stomach doesn't stop it being true.
    Just because there is a large amount of research on the topic it doesn't make those of us disagreeing with you incorrect.

The fact that you keep saying it is true doesn't make it true of all situations but as you have admitted, there are people that are not using it as a coping mechanism, they are doing it to be idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    Just because there is a large amount of research on the topic it doesn't make those of us disagreeing with you incorrect.

The fact that you keep saying it is true doesn't make it true of all situations but as you have admitted, there are people that are not using it as a coping mechanism, they are doing it to be idiots.
    The fact that all of you disagreeing with me want to blanket those telling jokes as sick, in need of help or doing it just to be offensive is what makes you incorrect. The research says otherwise. I'm sticking to my guns here, those that are telling the jokes do so because it helps them, whether they admit it or not. It makes the entire situation less real for them, which helps. I highly doubt the first thing I'd do on seeing a dead baby is crack a joke about it yet I find dead baby jokes absolutely hilarious, for good reason, they keep such a horrible subject in the distance. That is a large point of disaster or tragedy jokes.

If the jokes were truly told by just a few people being idiots, they wouldn't've spread so fast or have found such popularity. The fact they have means they speak to something inside us. Too many people are telling them and enjoying them for it to be anything else.

As I said before, people make jokes about The Troubles, 9/11, 7/7 and others and these jokes are a subconscious coping mechanism. That you dislike this fact doesn't stop it being true.

ReputationRep:

I lol'd.

ReputationRep:
    I find dead baby jokes absolutely hilarious
    I'm not continuing this argument.

I'm not incorrect for thinking things like that statement ^ are not tolerable.

I don't care if it's a coping strategy, it's wrong. If people find it offensive you shouldn't tell the jokes.

Plus I didn't say all people make the jokes to be offensive, I said not all people tell the jokes as a coping strategy which is what you alluded to earlier.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the jokes that get to me, it's the "Japan deserves this for what they did in WWII. It's Karma"

Stupidity 1 humanity 0
    That's sad...Japan don't deserve that. How can people be that dumb :/

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.