When I look at the Royal Family I realise that I will be a peasant till I die Watch

The Menace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bognor-regis)
Such a simplification. The royal family, just like any old landed family, invest in property and lease farming land etc etc. They manage their estates and keep themselves rich. On top of this, the family gets money from the government because they gave up a majority of their assets to the country a few hundred years ago, they'd be much richer otherwise.
So we pay our tax money for their upkeep whilst they still invest in private businesses? Sounds like another case of the rich getting infinitely rich to me, which is of course a central symptom of capitalism. Also, you claim that the parasites receive money from the government as they so 'generously' gave away the majority of their assets back to Britain, but how many of these assets were genuinely theirs to begin with, considering the illegitimacy of their original rule? Not many, I guess.

The Queen, Prince Philip and Charles and Camilla, and most of the rest of them too, spend a huge amount of their time in engagements such as opening hospitals and greeting heads of state, and hosting charity functions. It's a full time job for the Queen especially.
Yes, it must be very demanding to open up a few libraries and have afternoon tea with Middle Easters oil tycoons, all in exchange for a lifetime of stolen inherited privilege. Aptitude isn't passed on through hereditary lines, so surely we can just find elected officials to carry out these 'engagements', I'm sure they'd be a darn sight cheaper to maintain as well, and they most certainly wouldn't perpetuate an outdated system of hierarchical superiority like the monarchy does.

The royal family brings in millions of pounds into the country in tourism (just think of all those chinese people with cameras wandering about london). It's this tradition and grandeur that makes london one of the most popular tourist destinations on the planet.
Ah, and there we have it, the golden ace card that Royalists always like to pull out. Apart from the fact it isn't very golden at all, its actually a bit of a joker in the pack. Do you really think tourists come here to see old Liz, or Harry, the illegitimate spawn of James Hewitt? Of course they don't, they come here for the history, for the museums and for the the palaces. All that stuff would still be here if we got rid of the current lot, and we could keep the profits from the tourism without having to give a good chunk of it to the parasitical elitist scumbags that have stolen so much from this country for hundreds of years.

I haven't even got time to get into the countless atrocities of the British monarchy, such as its sponsorship of Imperialism and the Transatlantic Slave Trade, but its all a bit futile anyway, considering that arguing with any Royalist is akin to arguing with the embodiment of ignorance, and as Gandhi said, 'it is impossible to win an argument with an ignorant man'.

I hope you had fun today though, and I'm sure the Windsor's were very happy with the turnout.
bognor-regis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Menace)
So we pay our tax money for their upkeep whilst they still invest in private businesses? Sounds like another case of the rich getting infinitely rich to me, which is of course a central symptom of capitalism. Also, you claim that the parasites receive money from the government as they so 'generously' gave away the majority of their assets back to Britain, but how many of these assets were genuinely theirs to begin with, considering the illegitimacy of their original rule? Not many, I guess.
Yep, do you have a problem with capitalism? You know, gravity isn't perfect either because it means people die if they fall off of balconies. On balance, I'm sure you'd agree that gravity is a pretty good system to have. Better than floating up into space every time you try walking to the shops.

It is not a question of whether the assets were rightfully theirs to begin with or not. And I don't know why you put the word 'generously' in speech marks lol.
You have to be extremely naive to have a problem with some people being more powerful and successful than others. You talk about the illegitimacy of their original rule, but if noone had consolidated and galvanised a bunch of disparate peoples into one distinct 'country' then we wouldn't have any Nation States. We probably wouldn't have any society either, no doctors, no bus drivers or shopkeepers. Do you like living in a civilised land? If not you are welcome to move to Somalia. Have you ever studied history?
bognor-regis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Menace)

Ah, and there we have it, the golden ace card that Royalists always like to pull out. Apart from the fact it isn't very golden at all, its actually a bit of a joker in the pack. Do you really think tourists come here to see old Liz, or Harry, the illegitimate spawn of James Hewitt? Of course they don't, they come here for the history, for the museums and for the the palaces. All that stuff would still be here if we got rid of the current lot, and we could keep the profits from the tourism without having to give a good chunk of it to the parasitical elitist scumbags that have stolen so much from this country for hundreds of years.

I haven't even got time to get into the countless atrocities of the British monarchy, such as its sponsorship of Imperialism and the Transatlantic Slave Trade, but its all a bit futile anyway, considering that arguing with any Royalist is akin to arguing with the embodiment of ignorance, and as Gandhi said, 'it is impossible to win an argument with an ignorant man'.

I hope you had fun today though, and I'm sure the Windsor's were very happy with the turnout.
1. I'm not a Royalist.

2. You are so ignorant I simply can't have a proper argument with you.
Miss G
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
The Queen is worth trillions of £££ if you include all the property she owns.
I think J.K. Rowling is richer than her...
kristinaalovesu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That's what Bill Gates thought before he became rich.
Blueflare
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You could still marry Harry. :p:

The Royals don't actually have that much money, they just have stuff.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dioscuri)
On the contrary, students have lots of power. They are physically healthy, able to largely do what they want and have lots of time ahead of them, it is a period of self determination for many.
On the grand scheme of things, we have very little power. We might be able to get something in our course changed, or get the library opened 24 hours over the exam period, but in any other respect, although students may fight for it, they rarely win because we're powerful.

I think in terms of oppertunity what you suggest is rather weird. Why on earth would anyone want a job at all if it wasn't for the money. If I had a load of money I wouldn't work at all, they'd be no need for me to waste my life providing a service for somebody else, as all my service is, is a means for me to service myself (buy me things).
It's called job satisfaction. Many people, myself included, would still work even if we won the lottery. And it's kind of sad to go through your entire life hating your job, because you'll be working for the majority of your life. I don't care about a low paying job, as long as it's what I enjoy (teaching ) And there are many people out there who believe the same.

I don't get the person we want to be. Anyone can be the person they want to be, royals included, unless you are defining 'person' as a reflection of career choice or whatever. There has never been a goal in my life that wasn't a means to an end for an easy self deterministic life where I can feel good. If I had the money to do what I wanted, why would I set goals. I'd simply do what felt good.
What about if you had the money, a nice house, a nice car, but no family or anyone to share it with. I mean, you might get a few gold diggers, or people who claim to be your friends so they could swim in your pool or use your sauna - but then you'll never know if you turned up on their doorstep saying you'd gone bankrupt and lost everything and needed somewhere to stay, that they won't just close the door in your face.

The Royals can be as young and stupid as they want. The very fact that the papers only hear about minor things shows that the royal family do a very good job of hushing things up. They live in self contained circles, where everyone knows everything about everybody else, but no one outside the circle knows.
If nobody else knows this, then how do you?
Elf.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Id laugh if you were my ex boyfriend, that's the kind of bull**** he'd come out with! To be honest I'd rather be me than a royal, would you really enjoy being watched by 2 billion people on your wedding day!?
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emor)
I don't know why people find money such a defining factor in their lives. I'm guessing because it's the only thing that's quantifiable. I don't feel that it directly correlates to anything though really. Most people who are 'rich' work intensively anyway and are work-o-holics(word?)(maybe I'm watching too much TV though).

I honestly don't really think it matters. Today anyway. There's nothing really special about being royalty, literally. Just a lot of formalities. I doubt they actually spend much money(relative to how much they actually have) on materialistic items anyway tbh.

Which isn't what it's about, obviously, it's about status. Which brings me back to my initial point, why is money used to define status? It gets to a point where it's all just numbers with no practical applications really.

I'd be happy with a medium-salary job, and don't aspire to earn anymore than that. Though I'd like a career but it wouldn't be my entire identity.

EMZ=]
I know! My dad was much happier in his old job but sticks with his new, higher earning one even though he hates it. I think on his part it's unselfish though- he wants to earn money for us, not himself, in the same way that I always starve at the end of autumn term so I can buy my brother a good Christmas present
I wouldn't want to be a Royal though- too much pressure!
ilickbatteries
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
**** whatever you or anyone else thinks, I'm going to work hard, get into banking, get really rich and then laugh at the people who post online who stay in a rut until the day they die.

I'm also going to laugh at people who put other people down purely because they're doing **** with their life and want others to be miserable too. Watch me.

I've been like this since I first learnt how many people in my family own a Lambo. None, is the answer. Not right now, anyway.

Edit: 5 jealous and bitter people that have no motivation who have read my post.
lol wat
brosexual
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Call me weird right, but when I look at the royal family I realise I don't actually care about them...
Indian_Prince
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
Such wealth and power is something we can only dream of.
Sure, we could aquire this type of wealth through entrprenuerial means but to be honest you gotta be really lucky - thats why only a few out of a billion make it big.

Don't give me that bull**** that everyone has an equal chance - thats the kind of false hope we are filled with in our day to day lives whether it be auditioning for the Xfactor or expecting to win the lottery.

As far as I know, I won't ever make it big, and neither will 99% of you lot. The 1% will simply exploit us and live of our hard work. When I look at the Royal Family/rich people I realise that I will just be a peasant for the rest of my life stuck in a dead in end job.

Maybe it is down to luck, or maybe its just down to cruel calculating chance.
dude i will make it big! you watch me while you continue crying about this -.-

just for future taste... this will be me.....
Spoiler:
Show
:hi: from the window of my rolls royce being driven somewhere.....
this will be you...
Spoiler:
Show
:doh: i wish i had a dream....
anoushka1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah thats the way the world works unfortunately but YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OUT OF YOURSELF despite what others have...............try to reach everything and dont tell yourself there is a limit, that way you will reach your full potential
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
lol wat
Lol my cousin started drawing BMW's and was facinated with fast cars at the age of 4. He flopped out of uni and now he's almost at a 6 figure salary working for BMW.

Motivation gets you anywhere. You just need enough of it and you need to work hard. Anyone who believes otherwise has given up too easily.
TexasHold'emMan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ussumane)
Still not even in the top 10 richest people in the World.
not even top 20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes_...f_billionaires
hali0112
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
we all have control of our own lives. we make our own luck in this world. if you have the determination and motivation to succeed in life you are more likely to 'make it' than those who don't. yes, you read about people like kate middleton, richard branson, bill gates and mark zuckerberg who are normal people who 'made it big' in the world but they should inspire us and give us hope. if it can happen to them, why can't it happen to us?

I for one know I want to work hard at university to succeed and achieve my dreams of being a doctor! I am a normal person but that hasn't stopped me from dreaming and being ambitious!
Hamesh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh well... :dontknow:
Stop bothering tbh.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
Money and Power does not equal happiness.
no but it rent happiness for quite a long time,

id settle for money quite happily
ilickbatteries
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lol my cousin started drawing BMW's and was facinated with fast cars at the age of 4. He flopped out of uni and now he's almost at a 6 figure salary working for BMW.

Motivation gets you anywhere. You just need enough of it and you need to work hard. Anyone who believes otherwise has given up too easily.
You realise that these stories about people who flop out of uni and somehow manage to get themselves into 100k+ jobs are like one in every hundred thousand cases or something.

Same for IB

It's not a magical ticket to retiring at 30, very very very very few people (in relation to those that want to get in) do get in, and even less of them do amazingly well

I've got nothing against your motivation, that's great, just people who have ridiculously high hopes are only setting themselves up for a huge fall
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hali0112)
you read about people like kate middleton
I'd hardly saying someone whos father is worth £30 million is from a "normal" background.

And yet those cases are so rare its laughable.
Motivation can get you places. But you need a lot of luck too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise