Britain's Proudest Moment Watch

visa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gradjobplease)
To me they typify a major problem with this country.

This outdated but sadly persistent notion of birthright.

Instead of being a meritocratic soceity, its all about who you know and who you were born to. Just look at the dominance of the public schools in all of the top professions such as journalism and law.

What a shame that so many people are written off at birth.
That's how life literally works though People are born to good looking, healthy and/or intelligent parents (the 3 tend to go together) and some are born with less fortunate genes. It's not fair but until genetic engineering becomes widespread and people are forced to be born as generic genomes there isn't a lot that can be done.
JayTeeKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
A bitter old man who's lived a miserable, worthless life filled with disappointment. One should rejoice in such occasions as the Royal Wedding as it showcases what Britain still has and what it should always have and never lose.
Miserable, worthless life? Disappointment? Those are huge assumptions. What's your evidence for this? Or are you just making crass idiotic remarks because you don't agree with this man but lack the intelligence to construct a coherent and viable counter-argument to his views?
"one" should rejoice? What are you fecking blue blooded? I mean sure, it's correct English, but really only tw**s use "one" in their day-to-day language. Are you a tw** sir? Do you think that by using the "one" used so often by the upper echelons of society, your point somehow carries more weight? Do you feel it gives you an air of authority? I can tell you it doesn't. I can tell you it makes you look like a tw**.
The_resurrection
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bulbasaur)
If you were born here, like it not, you are by definition British.
Well obviously.
Warrior King
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Broderss)
I think Prince William is a good guy, he's really down to earth and has done a lot of normal things and helped many people and charities because he genuinely wants to and not to improve his or his family's image. I'm glad he did something to thank everyone who was there and to be honest I'm not surprised. Hopefully when he comes to reign king he will prove to everyone what the monarchy should really be about.

And hopefully retards like Harriet Harman won't ruin our Olympics but it will actually be a time for Britain to be proud. I think we'd need that.
I think it's the aspect of Lady Di in him that makes him down to earth and when all things considered he did have the emotional trauma of losing his him before he reached adulthood. I'm sure if there's an afterlife and Lady Di is there she'd have been very damn proud of her son today.
LawSuit
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oh
He's just as bad as the people who were camped on the London streets in wedding hats.
gradjobplease
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by visa)
That's how life literally works though People are born to good looking, healthy and/or intelligent parents (the 3 tend to go together) and some are born with less fortunate genes. It's not fair but until genetic engineering becomes widespread and people are forced to be born as generic genomes there isn't a lot that can be done.
I'm not suggesting equalise people, i'm talking about levelling the playing field, such that people are chose on their merits. Or are you in support of someone getting a job just because they happen to know someone in a particular company?

It'd be like given the rich people in a 100m race a 50m headstart on the poor people and then wondering why they keep winning.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The point I forgot to make was that even by definition I would be considered "anti-royalist" as I am in favour of abolishing the monarchy, the man ranting on the radio was a complete buffoon and an embarassment to British Society. If you want argue in favour of or against something at least do it in a dignified and coherent manner. He was no worse than those slack-jawed numpties that take the streets waving flags shouting "BNP" or "EDL". He made himself look so stupid it was cringeworthy to listen to. The royalist couldn't even get a word in. I think he was just left speechless.

Sure I'm no fan of the Royals but they haven't done anything to me personally and it's not like they forced the British public to celebrate the event. This is the UK not a communist state like North Korea and we weren't obliged to pay our respects to the dear leader or anything of the sort. If you wanted to celebrate fair enough. If you didn't, then you were free to switch off or make use of the day for alternative forms of leisure.

But seriously by the way he got so worked up about it I think has other issues than just the Royal Wedding.
sorafdfs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chrislpp)
What did britain ever have apart from the arrogance of believing only certain white people from certain families deserved land, power, opinions and money.

And that's not me scratching the surface.

They may do a lot of charity work, but it will take a millenia to make up for their ancestor's behaviour, the affects of which are still seen today.
What a ridiculous suggestion. What about the nazis and communists, brought in by the people and what they did in far more recent times? Maybe we should nuke Germany and Russia to teach them a lesson.
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sorafdfs)
What a ridiculous suggestion. What about the nazis and communists, brought in by the people and what they did in far more recent times? Maybe we should nuke Germany and Russia to teach them a lesson.
But the Nazis and Communists aren't around anymore whilst the monarchy is, you totally missed the point I'm afraid.
Rant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't see a descendent of Hitler ruling Germany...
chrislpp
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I looked for sense in your post but there was none.
sorafdfs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellrosk)
But the Nazis and Communists aren't around anymore whilst the monarchy is, you totally missed the point I'm afraid.
I'm referring to the notion that crimes and guilt are somehow inheritable. The monarchy is nothing like it was.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise