TSR Film Club - Catfish Watch

Poll: Rating: how did you find the film?
Excellent (16)
41.03%
Good (16)
41.03%
Poor (4)
10.26%
Awful (3)
7.69%
This discussion is closed.
haleem
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by diamonddust)
I...already did! :blush: Ruined it for myself! Why can't I resist spoilers?
Edit: To be entirely honest, I got spoiled on another thread and looked at the spoilers on here to clear up the comfusion! :no:

It's really compelling so far!
lol :naughty:

tbf, I had seen the advert, so sort of knew what was coming :dry:
(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
Definitely DO NOT READ SPOILERS if you haven't already. Trust me, you'd only ruin your viewing experience from lack of shock.

Oh yeah, I thought he was quite cute too :yep:
Hmmm, I didnt see any spoilers apart from the advert... didnt find the film that shocking maybe the ad gave bits away :dontknow:

The bit at the horse farm was ****ing scary
manchild007
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A lot of this film was so staged, which makes the film quite mediocre as a result - the main characters for example (as has been recently revealed), knew the spoiler as to who the person actually was, near the very start of the movie, with the rest of the shots mostly being just staged/over-exaggerated on their part.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ended up watching just to fill my curiosity, heard about it before but never saw it - it was Ok, not particularly scary or that interesting imo - the premise was ok and they could have taken it somewhere but it just unravelled into a particularly dull and anti-climactic film for me anyway

I liked the documentary realist style of the film though. Don't have that much else to say about it
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by neillya1)
Catfish is said to be fake anyway:

http://veryaware.com/2010/09/catfish...-fake-sort-of/

At least, partially fake. Still, it's a great "movie", but I don't think there's any right/wrong since it's probably a set up......
Look at the comments on that article though, there are so many disparities over what the writer claims is 'evidence' that the film is fake. They say the story is real apart from a few computer screen close-ups they had to recreate, I choose to believe them.

Spoiler:
Show
Also, I don't blame Angela for falling in love with Nev over the course of the film
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bektas)
Is it faked, is it not?

The part when he sort of pushes her into revealing it all and she obliges (the part with the horses?), seemed rather set up to me.
Nah, I thought that part definitely seemed real. If she broke down into tears then I would have thought it was set up but the way she recoiled in embarrassment and sort of went quiet, brushed it off a bit seemed like a genuine reaction to me. As other people have said, she wasn't planning ahead so that's the kind of reaction I'd expect from someone who was confronted rather than a huge, dramatic Hollywood-style breaking-down-and-revealing-everything.
hogso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The interview they did that's on the DVD is worth watching if you're interested in the 'how did they make it' and 'fake or real' aspects of the film. I'd be surprised if it's not on youtube
diamonddust
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
Look at the comments on that article though, there are so many disparities over what the writer claims is 'evidence' that the film is fake. They say the story is real apart from a few computer screen close-ups they had to recreate, I choose to believe them.

Spoiler:
Show
Also, I don't blame Angela for falling in love with Nev over the course of the film
Spoiler:
Show
Me neither! :blush:

Spoiler:
Show
The last half hour is really uncomfortable to watch. It feels far too invasive. I sort of felt like it should have ended once she admitted making it all up but then, it sort of turned into an Angela character study which I found quite interesting. She's obviously very ill. I don't know how to feel about them including her life so much. I feel sorry for the real Abbie. She's going to be mortified if she ever sees it when she's older. I liked it though. Very interesting. I actually originally thought Catfish would be a creepy Lolita esque story (I didn't know where Megan came in) so it was really unpredictable from the start, for me! :laugh: I feel really sorry for Angela though. And poor Nev! Bet Nev was cringing remembering the sexy conversations haha!

The moral of this film? Use Skype.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by haleem)
lol :naughty:

tbf, I had seen the advert, so sort of knew what was coming :dry:

Hmmm, I didnt see any spoilers apart from the advert... didnt find the film that shocking maybe the ad gave bits away :dontknow:

The bit at the horse farm was ****ing scary
I saw the adverts beforehand too, but I didn't think they spoilt anything. What I meant really was don't go searching the internet or anything for spoilers about the big things in the film, cos it'll spoil the plot for you a bit.

Spoiler:
Show
Haha, that horse farm bit was purposely overhyped by the advert :lol:
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I saw the adverts beforehand too, but I didn't think they spoilt anything. What I meant really was don't go searching the internet or anything for spoilers about the big things in the film, cos it'll spoil the plot for you a bit.

Spoiler:
Show
Haha, that horse farm bit was purposely overhyped by the advert :lol:
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah lol it was freaky though!

I watched it a couple of months ago and was just freaked out :|
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show
Yeah, the whole time they were at that farm at night, I couldn't help waiting for something to jump out of the dark at them :lol:. Funny how the advert and trailer were making you think that they were gonna find something very sinister, yet it just happened to be some sad and strange woman who was away with the fairies. Still, good film :yep:
AquaDrops
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok so I haven't read all the previous comments so I don't know if you've already discussed this, but what actually happened at the end? Didn't get to see it all
cadaeibfeceh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah, the whole time they were at that farm at night, I couldn't help waiting for something to jump out of the dark at them :lol:. Funny how the advert and trailer were making you think that they were gonna find something very sinister, yet it just happened to be some sad and strange woman who was away with the fairies. Still, good film :yep:
Haha I never watched the trailer, I was afraid it might spoil something so just watched it blind...

Spoiler:
Show
I think it was quite sinister in the end anyway, even if it wasn't a paedophilic alien monster.
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
Spoiler:
Show

I know right, Angela is weeeird :indiff: what odd people...
kuroshokora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It was a pretty good film. Not quite as dramatic a twist as I was expecting/hoping, but it's a completely different genre to stuff I usually watch, so the fact that it was compelling enough for me to keep watching says a lot.

Spoiler:
Show
Niv was way more understanding than I would have been if I found out I'd been talking dirty to an old lady...
Stray_talk
Badges: 2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AquaDrops)
Ok so I haven't read all the previous comments so I don't know if you've already discussed this, but what actually happened at the end? Didn't get to see it all
Google it!
AquaDrops
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for the link
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Currently watching it for the first time.

Streaming online though, so I'm 25 minutes ahead of the curve. :bandit:
BRG
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I quite liked the film

Even though I knew what was going to happen (because someone spoilt the ending for me ), I still wanted to watch the whole thing...it was captivating

I do agree though that the ending was a bit disappointing, but I guess thats because we are so use to extremely dramatic films. But for real life...thats pretty creepy!

I LOVEE the footage used, the cinema verite style and it generally felt real.

As to wheather IT IS real or not, I really don't know...I though the Blair Witch Project was real and was very disappointed to find out it wasnt by my teacher :/
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Spoiler:
Show
A strange film, exploring relationships in a sad, poignant, way. A sad hopelessness seems to motivate Angela throughout; thus the compulsion to create a second life through various invented accounts on Facebook, and channel herself through her (only) daughter Amy.

Ten minutes from the ending, so I'll see whether it throws up any more surprises.
NO2AV
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
the bit i find odd is,
Spoiler:
Show
angela made all of the FB accounts, and her own etc. she must of only had like 20 or so friends on each, and all of the friends would have been the same. how did nev not notice? megan was like some hot girl with so many social happenings in her life, that only having around 20 friends made it pretty obvious, at least it would of to me. this nev guy was a bit dumb, i guess he was open to an online long distance relationship so that says enough about him. angela imo doesn't have any mental problems, she just created some entertainment in her horrible life, imagine having vince, the slow retarded husband as your only support, and having to look after his two retarded children, sure she has a nice little daughter, but i can see why she did it, and that she probably is normal, despite being a loser, i kind of liked her =] only sad thing is, is how she used her daughter,.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii i love the colourful clothes you wearrrrr...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise