Countries you were disappointed about Watch

Michael Locke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
sdvbfdsgv.
BC is really nice but everything is just so expensive! I agree about the tea too, even the brands you can find in both countries are just not the same over there.
tokoyo-chan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UK - i have to say that its a beautiful country, but the system and procedures? biggest fail ever...
ellalor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
'however, worst of all for me was in sofia,bulgaria.even though i was only there with my mother for one weekend
* i witnessed much (minor) crimes there like pickpocketing - though i knew about this reputation i was still shocked to see it happen so much. though i wore my backpack and my mum's handbag under the jacket i was wearing so they couldnt get to them, U_U
*i also got into a fight with a local.... some short b*stard guy around my age tried to break into my car i had left parked when i was at a restaurant..... as soon as i clocked onto him out the restaurant window, i threw down my fork, ran outside the restaurant to approach him from behind, then suddenly i pulled hard on his ear and kicked him in the back of his leg,only for him to turn around, notice how much more taller/intimidating than him i was, and then he run away....... -_-'
where and when in sofia did this happen?? spent a LOT of time there and never had any problems...
JayTeeKay
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Iceland was hugely disappointing.

More specifically, I was hugely disappointed that I couldn't stay there and had to come back to this dump instead
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by shadow99)
Egypt, not as good as Turkey, not much town to walk around when you go outside the hotel.
I hope you're not generalising about a whole country on one experience of staying in one hotel in one town...:eek:
Linweth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Smilingsam)
France more specific Disneyland paris, was full of german got nothing against germans. However they were very disrespectful and always moaned if you asked them anything. Also the british/uk residents there were the only ones that are ever helpful.

We were on a coach on the way back to the airport and it was full of greeks, germans, french, spanish and other nationalities. They took up 2 seats to every one person we almost had to sit/stand in the middle of the aisle however uk residents actually gave up there seats and helped us get seats.

Edit: Grow up the people who negged me seriously if you have an opinion say so, im just telling the truth here.

Being British doesn't give you the right to a seat you know, lol.
veggie4life
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
Last year we did a tour of Europe and it was massively disappointing. All the cities looked the same. All had the same H&M on the high street and naff cafes. Really really massive waste of money. Not going back to Europe any time soon!
where did you go ?!
ArcadiaHouse
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
Turkey, beautiful place but they seemed rude over there. Plus I got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant and spent two days in my hotel room throwing up and needing the toilet constantly, I couldn't keep anything down, not even water.

Didn't help when I watched watchdog a few months later and saw our hotel was on the programme due to complaints about really bad hygiene in the kitchens and how hundreds of people had ended up with food poisoning.

But then I did get to say 'I told you I didn't overeat.' to my mum because she didn't believe that I had food poisoning despite being so sick.
... This happened to us, exactly. Was it Marmaris? :lolwut:

Portugal. Nothing to do, too hot to sleep and the food was inedible.
Liam_G
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tokoyo-chan)
UK - i have to say that its a beautiful country, but the system and procedures? biggest fail ever...
What do you mean by that? Just wondering :dontknow:
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)

Where did you stay? I went to Portugal a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Plenty to do and the food was divine.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
Where did you stay? I went to Portugal a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Plenty to do and the food was divine.
Some godforsaken place in the Algarve. Everything was like a 2 hours' drive away by car. I was desperate to see Lisbon but no one else wanted to do a 3 hour car journey there and back.

We were meant to stay for two weeks and left after nine days.
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Nope, it was a Holiday Village hotel in Sarigerme, first time I ever went abroad as well, bit disappointing.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
Nope, it was a Holiday Village hotel in Sarigerme, first time I ever went abroad as well, bit disappointing.
Ah, well my mum got food poisoning after eating prawn cocktail in a restaurant. The men were very creepy as well. They weren't all like that but in the bazaars they were very intimidating.
KJane
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, well my mum got food poisoning after eating prawn cocktail in a restaurant. The men were very creepy as well. They weren't all like that but in the bazaars they were very intimidating.
Yeah they freaked me out, when we went into town they were either glaring or openly flirting in an attempt to get me to buy off their stalls and I was only 14 at the time. The women were worse though, they kept grabbing my hands and throwing all these bracelets on me, the only way to get them off was tell them I didn't have any money on me.

Kinda hilarious when my mum ended up talking to a bunch of old Turkish men and was swapping cigarettes with them and having a laugh, one of the better memories actually.
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by veggie4life)
where did you go ?!
Bruges, Amsterdam, Hannover, Berlin, Vienna, Venice, Bologna, Paris.

Venice was definitely a highlight though
screenager2004
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JayTeeKay)
Well the chances are the high street is the same wherever you go.
Did it not once cross your mind to visit something culturally specific? I mean what did you expect? A city is just a very large residential area, and high street shops are owned by international companies.
When I went to Hamburg for example, there was the usual stuff (Cathedral, city tours, harbour boat rides) but they also had various festivals going on with live music etc.
Without being disrespectful, you probably found Europe boring because you yourself are boring. Unless you adopt the right attitude to travelling, everywhere will be a disappointment, European or not.
What an ignorant thing to say. I probably found it boring because we only got 12 hours in each city. How the hell do you extrapolate from that, that I'm a boring person? Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure the country would be much better had I a chance to really experience it - but the same thing could be said to every single post in this thread.
FormerlyFrisbeeFan
Rep:
?
(Original post by screenager2004)
Bruges, Amsterdam, Hannover, Berlin, Vienna, Venice, Bologna, Paris.

Venice was definitely a highlight though
You haven't lived until you've been to Seville in the spring sunshine. The place is absolutely gorgeous, very lively, full of orange trees, lovely food abounds... it wasn't too hot, as I'm told it gets in August, but it was pleasantly warm. I fell in love at first sight!
SpunkyVanDros
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nigeria...

NEVER AGAIN
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by KJane)
Turkey, beautiful place but they seemed rude over there. Plus I got food poisoning from the hotel restaurant and spent two days in my hotel room throwing up and needing the toilet constantly, I couldn't keep anything down, not even water.

Didn't help when I watched watchdog a few months later and saw our hotel was on the programme due to complaints about really bad hygiene in the kitchens and how hundreds of people had ended up with food poisoning.

But then I did get to say 'I told you I didn't overeat.' to my mum because she didn't believe that I had food poisoning despite being so sick.
I saw that on Watchdog as well, but I don't think it's right to judge a country by the resort. There are tons of horrible, similar places in Turkey (and Spain, Portugal etc. although these countries do have better health and safely regulations in place), but lots of nice places as well. I've never stayed in a resort anywhere, so my opinions might be a little bit unsubstanciated, but I don't think they show the best that a country has to offer. Which part of Turkey was this in, just out of interest?
express_68
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Venice - Yes its pretty, but too much walking and too much history!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (524)
37.59%
No - but I will (109)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (665)
47.7%

Watched Threads