Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Evidence?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBsdV--kLoQ#t=1m5s

ReputationRep:
    i think the idea is, get drunk on fridays or saturdays, and ye dont take your education for granted.

ReputationRep:
    praise the lord am cored...can see all my sins fading away LOL sorry religion is a load of made up ****, all religion....if you work hard at university then you are entitled to relax and go out when you want to. Just be careful with freshers week because its a way for the university to make a fortune and they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    The double negative is blowing my mind, but nevertheless contradicts your whole argument. Congratulations, your position is absurd by your own admission.
    It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.
    The point hinges on the word absurd. Take it away and you have a double negative, leave it in and you don't

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the peeps in my hall!

ReputationRep:
    Who are you to tell adults how they should spend their leisure time? We are paying for our bloody degrees, it's not for some pious prick to tell us how we should approach it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)

More teetotallers get better degrees
    I'd like to see your proof for this.

Edit: just seen it further up this page. That's some sound evidence you've got there.

ReputationRep:
    The point hinges on the word absurd. Take it away and you have a double negative, leave it in and you don't
    Correct. Hence why the sentence means the opposite of what you think.

Take the phrase "heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work." This would mean that heavy drinking is compatible with work. Then "to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work" would be to say that heavy drinking is not compatible with work. Finally, saying "it would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work" means once again that heavy drinking and work are compatible.

You've compounded your original negative statement with an additional double negative, meaning that you are effectively saying "heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work."

Ergo you fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    on this topic there is an interesting article in The Times today by Libby Purves who analyses the Freshers' Week phenomenon

:bear:
    It's behind the paywall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    hear hear.... well spoken (tapping on the table). I think your not the only person to feel the same way.

Thank Labour and their intiative to 'free education', diluting our education system and allowing people to go to university, with menial grades.

if you achieve a B is say Physics at GCSE, you will then be allowed to study for the advanced syllabus; A level. Ironically, how can one do the advanced level in such a subject when they cant achieve top grade for the GCSE. Granted certain cricumstances do pertain in individual cases.

Then such a student may recieve a B or C grade in Leve and may be rejected from a handful of universities who require, say, and A grade. But low and behold such a person will recieve an offer, somewhere else, one these joke 'Universities', where they will recieve loans and grants and will not work as hard as someone at the top end of the academic spectrum as they have no REAL interest in studying the subject. If they did then they would spend all if not most of their time in their faculties or departements doing research, joining societies and revising etc.

I beleive education should be free, but higher education should be for those who have worked hard and have achieved near to full marks, not everyone can for obvious circumstnaces, and they should be indidually.

anyway as this weakining system goes on, more and more 'students' are not actually students, they are a utter joke, thus the redifing of the life of a student. Once it was about the privellege, hard work, proud to be represent ones university and a reward for intelligence, but know anyone with any qualification may be admitted.

many students will end up doing the jobs they would have done, had they not gone to unvirsity using the learning on the job scheme, apprenticeships and other mechanisms within the economic structure.

Low and behold the government along with puffed up or inflated job roles are deemed 'gradtuate jobs' when in essence they are not, they have been labelled with such title to make the 'graduate' feel good.

the HE system is a comically, adeverse system that perpetuates the belief one has a right without applying ones self in the proper manner, which means not raving but associating through get to gethers, diabolic drinking sprees to perhaps tea parties or sharing a meal.

oh and btw we fund this, subsidise these 'student' bus fares and other major services, as they are more than content to disperese of their finanaces in many unpleasant ways.

im not a conservative or someone who wants education to become elitist, i want GENUINE value for the degrees and university and i want it to be tranparrent and widely accesible, not widely admittable (if thats a word).

please please please, dont come with the horrible comments, i am simply saying what is truth, if we got rid of all these 'mickey mouse' universites and courses, than all those millions, which is substantial, may be given to those universities with impressive results, who may then grow their universities to, two or three cities to expand in that way.

honestly
    I got an A at GCSE Physics because my coursework was rubbish I got 89% in my A level, a good A.

ReputationRep:
    work hard, play hard? i doesnt matter how we get our degree or where we want to be, its the journey we take. so enjoy life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Who are you to tell adults how they should spend their leisure time? We are paying for our bloody degrees, it's not for some pious prick to tell us how we should approach it.
    In fairness, so is the taxpayer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, Gran, is that you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I got an A at GCSE Physics because my coursework was rubbish I got 89% in my A level, a good A.
    well done, and imagine when you go to university you will get your standard grants and other finances. whereas someone who achieves the grades used in my example will get an offer to study physics at a low grade offer, whos like to do better you or them, if such a person was not allowed to go to uni then that money could be added to students like you.

honestly

well done btw

ReputationRep:
    Life is for living. Try it some time

ReputationRep:
    I'd take a third and the best three years of my life over a first and boredom. If there wasn't the drinking culture, I wouldn't be at university.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't drink and I find this thread illogical.

I do hope to drink a little when I start university though

ReputationRep:
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    Sorry but I like those vices, just as much as I like to study and I fully intend to leave with the best degree I can.

It's all about work/life balance and not letting either reach excess.

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink much, but why should I complain if people want to? I get what you're talking about that it can lead to anti social behavior (and it does, virtually every night where i'm living). But complaining about 'premarital sex' just makes you seem like some pretentious christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honestly)
    well done, and imagine when you go to university you will get your standard grants and other finances. whereas someone who achieves the grades used in my example will get an offer to study physics at a low grade offer, whos like to do better you or them, if such a person was not allowed to go to uni then that money could be added to students like you.

honestly

well done btw
    For Physics most courses want AAB or above. You can't blag you're way through you need good maths and good physics. No getting around that.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.