Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite a tall girl (5,10), but I wouldn't mind weighing a little less than I do, but I'm fine with how I look most of the time, but I hate going shopping for clothes and I've sworn off jeans completely.

I quite like topshop, I think they do some really nice stuff, and I only buy my leggings from there, I get the tall section ones in a size 12 and they fit me perfectly, so I thought I'd try their jeans, I got two pairs, from the same range but in different colours, both in a 14 and neither fit, nor did the 16, now I know I'm not a small girl, but I'm not an 18! I tried on a pair of jeans in a 14 from new look and they were far to big for me, now, how does this work!? I felt quite upset when I tried on a pair of size 16 jeans and they wouldn't fit, but yet something from the same shop in a 12 fits me fine!

Another one I hate looking for is tops, now I know my top size is probably a bit weird, because I have big boobs but with a smaller back (32GG) so I often have to buy tops a few sizes bigger than I'd need if I had a more normal bra size, but this one confused me, I went into H&M and picked up a baggy, rolling stones top in a size 16, as when it's going to be baggy I like it to be really baggy, and I tried it on and it was far too big! in the end, to get it to look right I bought it in a size 10...but the other day I had to buy a vest top in a size 18, so it would fit over my boobs. I must say, I was really happy to buy a top in a size 10.

I think a standard sizing would be really helpful, being able to walk into a shop and know that if I pick it up in a size 14, and I've not gained any weight then I know it'll fit me, not make me feel crap because I feel like if I've gone up a size, I must have gained weight so I'm fat, and ugly, but then in the next shop, I'm a 10!

ReputationRep:
    Being someone who had gone from being a size 24 to a size 14, I can say that the act of going down in clothes sizes is really motivating. My self esteem is a lot higher than it was in the past, however I doubt that it's because of what the size of the clothes is called, more to do with the fact that I'm a lot slimmer and more attractive in general.

I found that when I was teetering between size 14 and size 16, I felt a lot better in a 14 than a 16. There's something about those sizes; if somebody told you they were a size 14 it's socially acceptable, however if you said a size 16 then I think that's where I (personally) draw the line between being "fat" and "chubby". But that's just me, and obviously you'll get some size 16 girls, particularly taller ones, who look utterly stunning and are a healthy weight for their height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkinnyKitty)
    I thought the whole BMI thing had changed now to waist -> hip ratio instead?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/hi...to_waist.shtml

I am classed as underweight by BMI but by this, I'm 0.68 which is in the 'excellent' catergory.

But again, everyone has a different shape not everyone has curves, and I mean real curves not this new fad of 'bigger' girls calling themselves curvy when they're waist in the same width as their hips?
    BMI is very much used in hospitals.

Sometimes the waist measurement is considered e.g. if >31.5 is at higher risk of health problems for a woman.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx...CategoryID=165

I don't think a doctor is going to care if you have curves or not. If you are over or underweight, it doesn't matter how curvy you are. If for example a person was very underweight, they would still be considered very underweight even if their WHR was good. Same for a very overweight person. Having a good WHR is a good thing, but BMI still is more important for most people

Lol @showing off your WHR. What girl has a waist the same width as her hips :s

ReputationRep:
    Size doesn't really matter to me, as long as the clothes fit me like they are supppose to...although sometimes you're not sure how the a top is supposed to fit (whether it's meant to look baggy or tight fitted), so i guess the sizing is a bit of a guidance to people.

I don't really have much to say about vanity sizing because sizing is usually different in every shop and usually sizes in expensive brand tend to be smaller than the cheaper ones...and although it is just numbers, i wouldnt like them to go any smaller like the american ones...size 0, 1, 2 etc sounds quite silly tbh

I do like the idea of a standersized sizing system though.

I don't think it's frustrating to be different sizes in different shops, because you eventually acknowledge what your size is in each one. But it is a relief when you just know and don't need to try on a bunch of the same item to find out what it's supposed to look lkike on your body.

But saying that i have often bought bigger sizes simply because i liked the loose look when worn.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 10/12 and although buying size 12 doesn't bother me, I do always feel happy if I get into a size 10 pair of jeans, even though I know I'm not actually a size 10 in jeans. I can't remember it ever happening the opposite way though - the way the clothes look might make me feel fat but I don't think buying a certain size has ever lowered my self esteem.

When thinking about losing weight I always think in terms of dress sizes. I always think I'd like to be a size 8/10 rather than any particular weight.

ReputationRep:
    i fit into 9-10 year old clothes sometimes i wish i would grow

ReputationRep:
    Another size 10/12 here. I don't mind clothes sizes as much as I used to - I used to hate having to wear size 12 things, and I thought it meant I was fat, though a size 10 is only a matter of centimetres smaller.. :o:

I now know that no-one can tell what size clothes your wearing when you're just walking down the street - it's the fit that matters. A size 8 girl in badly-fitting clothes looks worse (or fatter?) than a size 12 girl in well-fitting things.

I personally think clothes should be labelled in inches, according to bust, waist and hip measurements, just as it appears on the 'size guides' on websites. I can see how it's more of a hassle to write more things on the label, but it takes away the possibility of vanity sizing (and might help to re-wire the mindset of womankind regarding sizes).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much for your help, your responses have been brill!
    I really appreciate all your views/opinions, thanks for taking time out to help x

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand much about vanity sizing but I've always been able to fit nicely in a size 8, or a size 10 in looser items like jumpers and coats. I cannot ever get my butt into size 6 trousers, and size 10 trousers always just fall right off my hips without a belt lol.

I like my size as it reflects the fact that have a slim figure and it's one of the very few things I like about my appearance. I wouldn't want to be much smaller or bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    BMI is very much used in hospitals.

Sometimes the waist measurement is considered e.g. if >31.5 is at higher risk of health problems for a woman.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/849.aspx...CategoryID=165

I don't think a doctor is going to care if you have curves or not. If you are over or underweight, it doesn't matter how curvy you are. If for example a person was very underweight, they would still be considered very underweight even if their WHR was good. Same for a very overweight person. Having a good WHR is a good thing, but BMI still is more important for most people

Lol @showing off your WHR. What girl has a waist the same width as her hips :s
    I wasn't showing off HAHA I was pointing out the fact that one says I am massively underweight whereas the other matched what my doctor has told me, that I am built to be slim. If I wanted to show off why would I be 'bragging' that my bmi tells me I'm underweight lol?

Was that jealousy or something? A lot of girls don't have a massive difference between their waist and hips. If you're unfit or unhealthy then your waist will inevitably get larger at a faster rate than your hips, depending on who you are obviously everyone is different and that's a massive generalisation.

But just as bmi doesn't always tell the truth because of your build, some girls also weren't made with curves and were made with a more 'athletic figure', neither of which are bad imo.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't showing off HAHA I was pointing out the fact that one says I am massively underweight whereas the other matched what my doctor has told me, that I am built to be slim. If I wanted to show off why would I be 'bragging' that my bmi tells me I'm underweight lol?
    WHR doesn't tell you if you were 'built to be slim', it's just your waist:hip ratio. An anorexic could have an excellent WHR, but it doesn't mean they are a) healthy and ) 'built to be slim'. WHR is probably determined by combination of genetics and to some extent whether the person is overweight or has high body fat %. If the person is very overweight, it is likely that the waist is much bigger than the hips.

Of course some people are naturally slim, but the good WHR doesn't cancel out the fact that your BMI is, in your words, significantly below 'normal'. According to 'average' BMI standards you are 'underweight'. However BMI is not reliable for every person so as your Dr says, this may just be normal for you.

Was that jealousy or something?
    Why would I be jealous of someone who is underweight? Lol.

But just as bmi doesn't always tell the truth because of your build
    Agree, BMI is not a precise measure, it is a general guideline and some people may be outwith the 'healthy' measures but this may be perfectly healthy and normal for them.

ReputationRep:
    Sizing should be made standard across the bored. I get annoyed that I'm a 28 w 32 l and a 34" chest because finding clothes that fit is nearly impossible on the high street and a limited selection online. So I wish I was a more 'standard size' but only to make shopping easier for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beautiful.In.Los.Angeles.)
    I'm a size 6 and yes it would make me upset if I couldn't fit into a size 6 item of clothing.
    I have worked hard to lose weight (from a 10) and I pride myself on being the smallest out of my friends and a size 6 .
    I'm sure in the past week i've gone up a dress size though ... feel like i'm losing my willpower! It's hard to restrict calories but I think it's worth it. My self esteem has been improved massivley and just knowing that I can walk into a shop and pick up a size 6 dress and know I'll look good in it is priceless.
    How tall are you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't worry too much about the actual sizes, but my pencil skirt recently got too big for me and I had to buy one in an 8, which felt good because it was actually obvious I'd lost weight

ReputationRep:
    I really think that clothes size affects your self esteem. Last week when I was doing the laundry I saw that my sister had cut all the size labels off her clothes :|
    It's sad because she's 5 ft 9 and a size 12 and not fat at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylalou07)
    Hey lovelies!

I'm currently doing some research for my dissertation. I'm looking at how clothes sizes affect a woman's self esteem.
    How do you feel about wearing larger / smaller size clothes? For example, would you feel better if you could slip into a size 10 rather than a 14, or does size really not matter?
    Along with this, do you like/dislike'vanity sizing'? Some women I have spoken to have said that it is a good thing, others have said that it is a really bad thing, and that the clothing industry should have a standardized sizing system. What do YOU think? Do you get frustrated at being different sizes in different shops, and if so, who do you think the worst offenders are?

Thanks for your help (in advance!) K x
    The sizing system in the shops in general is bollucks. Like you said they vary significantly from shop to shop. So I always shop for the fit and not the size. I think there are people who will only buy a certain size and if they dont fit into it they wont go a size up.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.