Turn on thread page Beta

What is the biggest price rip off in food and today today watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    At my uni its £1 for a 500ml bottle!
    at lidls they're 19p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent)
    The embarrasment of buying bottled water, I try to avoid it but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

50p for half a litre...of water; the shame.
    For the longest time in Wilkinsons it was 2 for 50p, or 1 bottle for-wait for it-50p. :confused:

Worse than that though was people refusing to take what was essentially a free bottle, they’d sometimes get snappy at the till lady at the very suggestion.

It's a 500ml bottle, you could carry it in your hand ffs.

Whilst on the subject of water, £1 for a 330ml bottle of water? I handed it straight back. This was in Camden market though, so plenty of gullible tourists.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I know Dalimyr, even erring on the side of caution and overestimating, it's quite high for the raw ingredients, but it only further proves HOW INSANELY FILTHILY overpriced Dominos and Pizza Hut are. 900% markup for such a simple, cheap dish? Can you imagine if other products had a 900% price markup?

Imagine if a takeaway offered Beans on Toast as a takeaway option for £9. Would you buy it? Same kinda deal really.
    according to the times, the mark up on cinema popcorn is 2500%...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callaghan)
    Those muller rice puddings are now £2.99!!!:eek:

They are only tiny little things as well:mad: Yummy though...
    I got 10 for £3 the other day.

Where the hell are you shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schizopear)
    according to the times, the mark up on cinema popcorn is 2500%...
    That's different though.

A cinemas primary business isn't food and they make a surprisingly small amount off each ticket sale.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Luxembourg and i would say some bars/clubs that sell a shot at 10 euro or a bottle of champagne at 1200 euro ...
    or else right outside the best club in luxembourg there is a pizza shop that only opens at night .. and they charge 7 euro per slice of pizza :O (and yet i buy atleast 2 every time im out .. just soo gooood!)

ReputationRep:
    With regards to cinema food.. I found it utterly hilarious that they were advertising a "value combo".

You know the definition of "value", right? Well this was "A Large popcorn to share, two regular drinks". So we're talking TENS of pence worth of popcorn and two cups FULL of ice (oh, and perhaps SEVERAL PENCE-worth of syrup-based water).

£9.99.

VALUE GUYS! Anyone want to buy a tin of tuna for £49?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Cheese! A block of cheese is about £5... and not a massive difference between branded and own brand stuff either.
    When i need to buy cheese it makes my £10 - £12 weekly food shop £15 - £17 unless theres a decent offer on
    You must be terribly malnourished surviving on £10 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero and any other large coffee shop.

I know for a fact that they buy huge bags of coffee beans that can make around 40 cups of coffee for £1.50....

A coffee alone is £2.50. Which if my calculations are correct...every coffee sold makes a 66% profit.

:O And that pizza doesn't even look good... Well done Pizza Hut and Dominos Owners!
    No they don't. They have to pay:

1) Wages
    2) Rent
    3) Electricity etc

It's still a high mark up yes, but people on this thread seem to be forgetting other costs :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    You must be terribly malnourished surviving on £10 a week.
    Not really, Storecupboard basics don't need replacing every week... I just buy what I need to if I run out of those and top up on perishables like fresh fruit and veg and meat (I have a lot of tinned stuff too)
    I also make 3/4 portions of meals and freeze them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr-member)
    Ice cream vans.

£2.20 for a 99 cone? 30p extra for a flake?!

..they'd better give me damn good sprinkles at that price! :hmpf:
    I'm glad to say I've never been that ripped off for an ice cream van ice cream in my entire life!

And I live in London, of all places...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightWatch)
    4 pack of heinz beans is now £1.40 + :'(

Also petrol station pringles but I'll go as far to say anything petrol station-bought.

Also also I bought a bar of Wonka Scrumdiddlyumptous about the size of a £1.00 galaxy bar and it cost £5...
    Where did you get this... I had some in sainsburys like 5 years ago... it was soooo nice :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    That's different though.

A cinemas primary business isn't food and they make a surprisingly small amount off each ticket sale.
    Fair point. It must take a lot of money to pay to show the film and to keep the cinema running smoothly and so on. My local cinema only charges around £4-£5 per ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Things I've seen in supermarkets
    £2.79 for a large bottle of Coke
    £3.00 for cereals like Coco Pops and Rice Krispies.
    £4.00 for a large tub of Ben & Jerry's, £2 for a small pot.
    £4.00 for strawberries.

£3.95 for a frappuchino with cream in Starbucks

In my local newsagents
    85p for a can of fizzy drink!
    80p for a tiny bag of chocolate buttons
    17p for a Freddo
    70p for a bag of Walkers
    £1.99 for a can of Relentless
    £1.69 for a bottle of Mountian Dew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Nigella agrees with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btXj73b1WXs

(at 1:26)
    Oh Nigella...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If you look at average costs of takeaway food for one person:

kebab 5£ish
    x + chips from a chipper £2-3.50
    indian £6-8
    fast food restaurants £5ish
    pizza hut/dominos/papa johns £12-16.

Pizza is a very expensive treat. You could feed two people a wealth of indian food for the same price.
    To be fair though pizza hute and dominoes are constantly giving out discount vouchers + coupons near shopping centres / through the post. They must know their normal prices are overpriced, hence why they constantly have "offers".
    I agree with the OP on popcorn. Cinema popcorn in particular. Chains said to BBC's watchdog that cinema tickets don't make enough money so they have to overprice food. I'm not sure I believe that when so many people bring in their own anyway.
    Innocent smoothies, but other brands just don't taste the same. : (

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diving_queen)
    Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero and any other large coffee shop.

I know for a fact that they buy huge bags of coffee beans that can make around 40 cups of coffee for £1.50....

A coffee alone is £2.50. Which if my calculations are correct...every coffee sold makes a 66% profit.
    Try your calculations again, you'll find that if you add a couple of zeroes on the end then your profit estimate would be closer :p:

Buy a bag of coffee beans for £1.50.
    That bag of beans can be made into 40 cups of coffee.
    If each coffee is sold for £2.50, those 40 cups sell for a combined total of £100. Not bad for a £1.50 investment, eh?

But yeah, your 66% markup estimate is way off the mark. £1.50 divided by 40 = 3.75p (say 4p) per cup of coffee, yes? They're selling for £2.50 so each cup is making a £2.46 profit, a markup of over 6000% (!!!). ily_em made a good point in an earlier post quoting you that there would be various overheads that the company would have to pay, but even when those are taken into consideration it's still a ludicrous profit they'd be making per cup.

ReputationRep:
    Chocolate
    Meat
    Milk
    Bread

:mad:

Coffee-I wish I didn't enjoy coffee so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    No they don't. They have to pay:

1) Wages
    2) Rent
    3) Electricity etc

It's still a high mark up yes, but people on this thread seem to be forgetting other costs :p:
    Oh God, think of the rent of the Costa near my work in W1 (Westminster Council London)... it is majorly busy all the time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by briesandwich)

£2.82 for a litre of Ribena... disgusting.
    The sayers I used to go to by my college charged 95p for a tiny carton of Ribena. The shop across the road was an independent newsagents and sold it for about 65p. Sayers/Greggs etc are ok for hot food, but the mark-up on drinks/crisps/sandwiches is laughable.

Not good if you're a Ribena addict like me

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.