When does one become 'old'? Watch

aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
When you enjoy them because they're not yours...
When you enjoy them because it's yours, then you know you're very old indeed.
FunkeyMunkey
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
35 is old
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
you are as old as the person you feel
But, but... you're a bear. You cannot feel without mauling. But, many men maul with feeling, do they not? I dunno' man.

(Original post by Entangled)
One is only as old as the woman one feels.
Another famous epigram. Coleridge, was it?

A man is as old as he feels. A woman, as old as she looks.
A man's face is his autobiography; a woman's face is her work of fiction.
Just to continue the trend...

(Original post by strawberry)
Well, they say three things happen when you get old.
First, you start to lose your memory.
Second, uh...
Delightful.

(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
I guess so. When you start to enjoy reading obituaries, then you're old.
You're familiar with the eponymous Clarence Darrow.
miss_martha_jane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
when one's tits are in one's shoes.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When you enjoy them because it's yours, then you know you're very old indeed.
And communicating via a medium.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by philistine)
Actually no. I read it somewhere else, I forget where.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And communicating via a medium.
Not just communicating, but drinking tea with them and asking them for the thousandth time if they would like sugar in it, because you forgot their answer every other time you asked.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

In what is he eponymous?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not just communicating, but drinking tea with them and asking them for the thousandth time if they would like sugar in it, because you forgot their answer every other time you asked.
And asking them to repeat their answer because you can't hear it.
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Another famous epigram. Coleridge, was it?
Difficult to pin down exactly as the authorship has passed through the (probably) muddied waters of time. I believe it was probably a Groucho Marx remark (remarx?) but it could have been taken from the writers of old - maybe Coleridge, maybe someone like Fields.
philistine
Rep:
?
In what is he eponymous?
The law was very much a dry profession, at least in terms of blatant flamboyance before Darrow. I don't agree with the claims that he was essentially transplanting a diluted Wilde personality onto himself, though some seem to see it that way

(Original post by Entangled)
Difficult to pin down exactly as the authorship has passed through the (probably) muddied waters of time. I believe it was probably a Groucho Marx remark (remarx?) but it could have been taken from the writers of old - maybe Coleridge, maybe someone like Fields.
I'm quite the Coleridge admirer, as am I also of Groucho, Byron and Wordsworth. I've seen a fair few quotes which seem to have been changed ever so slightly amongst twentieth century figures, almost claiming them as their own. It only seems natural though, really.
Last edited by philistine; 6 years ago
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The law was very much a dry profession, at least in terms of blatant flamboyance before Darrow. I don't agree with the claims that he was essentially transplanting a diluted Wilde personality onto himself, though some seem to see it that way
Eponymous means the character named in the title of a work, like David Copperfield. In what work is Clarence Darrow eponymous? I'm very familiar with notable law practitioners, but I don't know of any such text.
aspirinpharmacist
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And asking them to repeat their answer because you can't hear it.
Because your hearing aid is in the fridge. But it doesn't matter because you can't talk properly anyway, because your dentures are under the sofa. You were afraid people would steal them.
philistine
Rep:
?
Eponymous means the character named in the title of a work, like David Copperfield. In what work is Clarence Darrow eponymous? I'm very familiar with notable law practitioners, but I don't know of any such text.
Eponymous: being or relating to or bearing the name of an eponym.
Eponym: A person after whom a discovery, invention, place, etc., is named.
A name or noun formed in such a way.
From a biographical excerpt of Darrow:

Called a "sophisticated country lawyer", he remains notable for his wit and agnosticism, which marked him as one of the most famous American lawyers and civil libertarians.
It could easily be said that Darrow was eponymous, at least of which in artificing the howdy-doody, witty, funny, piss-taking Yankee lawyer. Aren't you an English teacher?
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Because your hearing aid is in the fridge. But it doesn't matter because you can't talk properly anyway, because your dentures are under the sofa. You were afraid people would steal them.
Although if someone did, it wouldn't be a big deal as you live on a diet of Werther's Originals and Horlicks.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
From a biographical excerpt of Darrow:

It could easily be said that Darrow was eponymous, at least of which in artificing the howdy-doody, witty, funny, piss-taking Yankee lawyer. Aren't you an English teacher?
Yes, I am. In what way is Clarence Darrow an eponym? He may be called a sophisticated country lawyer, but are sophisticated country lawyers called Clarence Darrows?
philistine
Rep:
?
Yes, I am. In what way is Clarence Darrow an eponym? He may be called a sophisticated country lawyer, but are sophisticated country lawyers called Clarence Darrows?
Butchery, with a degree of tunnel vision in the definition of 'eponym'.

How many other American country lawyers are there; ones who personify, at least to the point of their very fibre being remembered for which, embody numerous witticisms, humble eccentricities and flagrant agnosticism?

Not many.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

the other poster probably mistook eponymous for some other adjective... maybe ubiquitous or egregious ...or androgynous
Last edited by the bear; 6 years ago
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Butchery, with a degree of tunnel vision in the definition of 'eponym'.

How many other American country lawyers are there; ones who personify, at least to the point of their very fibre being remembered for which, embody numerous witticisms, humble eccentricities and flagrant agnosticism?

Not many.
Certainly not many. He was a great man, with a remarkable talent and considerable brass neck. But not eponymous.
eponymous (ɪˈpɒnɪməs) adj 1. (of a person) being the person after whom a literary work, film, etc, is named: the eponymous heroine in the film of Jane Eyre 2. (of a literary work, film, etc) named after its central character or creator: the Stooges' eponymous debut album
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
the other poster probably mistook eponymous for some other adjective... maybe ubiquitous or egregious
Hi, Bear. Yes, I think so too. Darrow had his moments of egregiousness, but fewer moments of ubiquity, I suspect.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (429)
91.47%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (40)
8.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise