Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What languages do you speak? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me

ReputationRep:
    English like a native, French like an evicted protégé of Baudelaire, Italian like one of Cellini's jewels, Greek like an Etruscan vase, and Latin like Cicero's pet dog.

ReputationRep:
    Latin beginner Kreole (beginner lol take the mick out of my mum) French (intermediate) Spanish (advanced) English (native)

ReputationRep:
    I am a total language geek I'll admit it, I love to speak and never shut up. I teach language classes as well, to children in a local primary school. In a year, aged 10 and 11, they have completed the GCSE Spanish curriculum, including the reading/writing tasks; ie. write a letter pretending to be a celebrity, about your favourite holiday etc.

In Spanish, Catalan, English, and Greek - I am a Fluent Native; not sure which of the first 3 was my first language, as my first word was 'no' XD
    I can also read Ancient Greek (- this is not to be scoffed at, as Ancient Greek is very different to Modern Greek!)

Portuguese - I speak 'Brazilian', and consider myself fluent. Other people have mistaken me as native in the past, so I think this is a valid claim.

Due to my knowledge of the other latin languages (plus basic latin), I can understand the majority of Italian and Romanian. I have read books in Italian, such as Zlatan Ibrahimovich's "I am Zlatan" where I basically had the choice between Italian and Swedish. I have a few Romanian friends and understand most of what they say, and they in return can understand a catalan/italian/spanish hybrid.

German and Arabic - I'm currently pursuing these. I love Arabic but hate the harshness of German, although I imagine the scandinavian languages to be more so?

Other than that, I speak some French- badly (catalan accent), some Basque, and some Japanese. Due to where I live I also speak a little of the everyday phrases from eastern european languages, like Polish.

ReputationRep:
    No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carinaea)
    No-one's mentioned Elvish yet? Sad times we live in. :[

Nah, but I'm English and I can understand some French and Spanish. I really want to work on learning languages though, just so then I can communicate with my international friends in their own language without feeling ignorant/obnoxious/whatever for only being able to speak English.
    I used to be able to speak some of the ancient language from the Eragon Books :blush: Oh, and Na'vi from the James Cameron movie! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I have a question, for people who are natively bilingual...do you mix your thoughts in both languages? Or is that just me
    Yes, I also mix when speaking -.-'

"Muuum, tengo hambre.. Yo quiero food!"

or, "Hellooo Katerina-mou!"

ReputationRep:
    English (Native)
    Catalan (Fluent, although very rusty with speaking and writing).
    Spanish (GCSE)
    Italian (GCSE)

Also random phrases and suchlike in French, although I wouldn't call myself a speaker.

ReputationRep:
    Not really but I do maths in Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    English - native
    German - I do A Level, but am about C1 level
    French - Doing A Level, not quite past B2 yet
    Latin - can read quite a bit, obviously don't speak it
    Russian - basic conversational level
    Hungarian - beginner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    English and Welsh (native), French (GCSE standard, fairly fluent), Spanish (learning). I want to learn Esperanto and BSL
    Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together

(Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Are you still learning it, or did you stop once you finished GCSE? Only, there are loads of people I know who got an A in GCSE French, who can barely string a sentence together
    GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    GCSE French is terrible, it misses the point completely... learn to DELF B2 or above and you'd be fine
    I was really shocked when I discovered that most of the class couldn't count beyond thirty in French, yet knew how to say 'I am a builder' :confused: But make of that what you will...at least they'd be able to get a job in France

ReputationRep:
    Well when I speak to my parents I usually speak what I call cantonglish... A fusion of cantonese and english.

I like it when I speak to them on the phone or something and my friends or other people just look at me speechless.

ReputationRep:
    English (native)
    Japanese (atm it's so-so :/)
    Italian-beginner (I'm trying to learn it by myself but we'll see how well it goes ^_^

ReputationRep:
    English and Gujarati fluently.
    A little bit of Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    English - mother tongue
    French - studying it at uni, I would love to say I'm fluent but I'd be lying. I understand it, but seem to have a mental block with communicating in it. :/
    Afrikaans - I grew up in SA
    Basic Ndebele (Zulu)
    Basic Latin
    Teaching myself Italian

Ah, I wish there were enough hours in the day to become fluent in all of the above without going crazy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fluent in English and can speak conversational German (with poor grammar). I also know some basics of French and Italian.

ReputationRep:
    French speaker, think in French and it all gets mixed up as you said :/.

ReputationRep:
    English (native) and Welsh (advanced). And a few phrases of French.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.