The Student Room Group

Better role model: Katie Price or Kate Middleton

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yung Mon£y
She's admitted to being a head-job. She's overweight, smokes and drinks loads.
Classic British girl if you ask me.

What the hell is a "real" person? You do realise that someone who is successful, emotionally balanced and fit is just as real a person as rapists and junkies?

Mm yeah I get what you mean, but most people aren't all successful, emotionally balanced and fit are they? She represents most people that just aren't perfect, but that doesn't worry her at all. She isn't a carbon copy that drives to be those three things either, and that is what I respect about her.

People I look up to aren't so called 'perfect' people, who never put a foot wrong, never put on that extra ounce and never touch a cigarette or god forbid, a recreational drug! People that succumb to the pressure of the celebrity world is the other end of the spectrum that I'm balancing her 'realness' upon; ie, sheep that follow the crowd, generally don't have a talented leg to stand on and think staying thin will keep them in. People who are lead their life by good morals and reflect traits of someone I'd like to be - i.e Adele. She's successful by means of her talent alone and isn't willing to let the pressure of our sick society get to her and continues to do what she loves however she wants to do it.
Like you said Katie Price earned her money and fame.
What would a girl learn from Kate Middleton? How to marry a rich guy?
Original post by idontthinkso
Like you said Katie Price earned her money and fame.
What would a girl learn from Kate Middleton? How to marry a rich guy?

what would a girl learn from katie price? How to be exploited by a sexist industry that reduces women to meat for male consumption?

Would you rather your daughter be like price or middleton?
Neither of them are particularly great role models really :dontknow:
Reply 104
Original post by o Rebecca o
What makes Adele a good role model?

She sets fire to the rain.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
what would a girl learn from katie price? How to be exploited by a sexist industry that reduces women to meat for male consumption?

Opinion, not fact.
Are you kidding? I'd obviously prefer having Kate as my daugther. I'd have a piece of the royal family's privileges. Who wouldn't want that??
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by idontthinkso
Opinion, not fact.
Are you kidding? I'd obviously prefer having Kate as my daugther. I'd be cut in on the royal family's privileges. Who wouldn't want that??

obviously it's opinion, so is what you said, and what this debate is - nothing more than opinion.
obviously it's opinion, so is what you said, and what this debate is - nothing more than opinion.

Kate kind of is married to a rich guy so that is a fact. That's just what I was differentiating from our first two posts. But then again you're right: the answer is based on the weight that we put in each of the positive aspects of the two people.
Personally I don't think either of them are an ideal role model. However, having to choose one between the two, I think girls would benefit more from a "do what you like and take chances" attitude from Katie than from what Kate might stand for.
Original post by dulciemae
Mm yeah I get what you mean, but most people aren't all successful, emotionally balanced and fit are they? She represents most people that just aren't perfect, but that doesn't worry her at all. She isn't a carbon copy that drives to be those three things either, and that is what I respect about her.

People I look up to aren't so called 'perfect' people, who never put a foot wrong, never put on that extra ounce and never touch a cigarette or god forbid, a recreational drug! People that succumb to the pressure of the celebrity world is the other end of the spectrum that I'm balancing her 'realness' upon; ie, sheep that follow the crowd, generally don't have a talented leg to stand on and think staying thin will keep them in. People who are lead their life by good morals and reflect traits of someone I'd like to be - i.e Adele. She's successful by means of her talent alone and isn't willing to let the pressure of our sick society get to her and continues to do what she loves however she wants to do it.

So you have to do what the majority of people do? The majority of women in the UK have an unhealthy waist line...why should you follow the trend in this instance?
You respect her for not dealing with her issues? What? How on earth does she deserve your respect for any of those traits? Is she talented? Undoubtedly. Is she admirable? Not really.

No one is perfect so I don't know why you are saying that. Part of being human is being imperfect. Now if you don't want to make the vaccous turds that are the TOWIE crew your role models, I understand that completely, but why don't you just say "I want to be the most successful and in the best shape I can be while making the most out of my life" instead of almost admitting complacent defeat at the age of 18? :confused:
How is taking almost self destructive care of your body an admirable trait? It just sounds like you are going "she's successful & it's easy to follow her as all she does is sing; I'm in". Pressure to not destroy your body is actually one of the few good things this society has.

Or has Katie exploited the lust of men in an industry that prays on the sexually desperate and unsatisfied?

Always another side of the coin...
Original post by Yung Mon£y
Or has Katie exploited the lust of men in an industry that prays on the sexually desperate and unsatisfied?

Always another side of the coin...

yes she has, much like a hooker.
yes she has, much like a hooker.

Hookers usually do it for drug money. Katie did it for ££££. Does it make it admirable? No. Does it mean she was exploited though? Certainly not; she knew exactly what she was doing and nothing forced her to do it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Yes, one is thought to have no class, which is a subjective issue, but has made a living for herself. The other supposedly has class but hasn't done anything other than marry a prince. There's not much going for either. However IMO I see nothing emperically wrong with getting naked for money so for me katie price is better because she has made her own "success".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Yes, one is thought to have no class, which is a subjective issue, but has made a living for herself. The other supposedly has class but hasn't done anything other than marry a prince. There's not much going for either. However IMO I see nothing emperically wrong with getting naked for money so for me katie price is better because she has made her own success.

By being a permanent presence on reality Tv, putting her name on books she doesn't write and going through a string of doomed marriages to stay in the public eye? That along with all the plastic surgery and fake tan. I guess the definition of success is also subjective. I don't think either of them are good role-models.
Original post by Philbert
By being a permanent presence on reality Tv, putting her name on books she doesn't write and going through a string of doomed marriages to stay in the public eye? That along with all the plastic surgery and fake tan. I guess the definition of success is also subjective. I don't think either of them are good role-models.

I meant to put success in inverted comas. By success I mean she earned her ow money.
None have done anything particularly amazing to be classified as role models.
Reply 117
Original post by mikoe
Who is a better role model for young people? Katie Price, a self-made woman, or Kate Middleton, whose status and wealth gained from marriage?

Katie price may be self-made but she got there by showing her fake boobs, exploiting her family on reality tv, selling tat and generally setting a bad example for girls.
She was seeking fame and fortune.

Kate M is famous because of who she married.
The fame was unavoidable in her case.

As for role models...neither.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
Original post by Historophilia
Actually an interesting question, my first instinct was "Kate Middleton of course" but then I stopped to think.

Well Katie Price is a self made success story who is clearly a very good business woman who has had to deal with the difficulty of raising a disabled child wh she clearly loves very much and is devoted to (for example her trying to start up a free school for disabled children as they're closing down the one Harvey goes to).

On the negative side she has had huge amounts of plastic surgery and flaunts this in public thus possibly contributing to the warped of what is a "normal" body that young girls today have and the foundation of her business empire is that she is willing to take her clothes of in public.

Kate Middle ton is a nice, well brought up and elegant young woman who dresses well and has stepped into a very difficult role astonishingly well.

However her status comes solely from having married a prince and with her increasingly thin frame she is not helping to give young girls a balanced view of what is beautiful either.

However of the two probably for girls I'd say Katie Price is a better role model, but she's not a perfect one. Neither of them are really.

If you're looking for better role models for young girls I'd say Jessica Ennis and Adele would fit the bill.

Really good post. Similarly I instantly thought Kate Middleton but the more I thought about, the more I realised that Katie has actually worked a lot harder off her own back to achieve the fame and wealth she has. I do like Kate Middleton though and I think she is fulfilling her duty well as wife of the future King, but as you said, her status and fame was achieved just from marrying into the royal family.
Reply 119
Kate Middleton

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending