theonefrombrum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Around here I have literal views on drugs as I see the bros serve up the hungry fiends on a daily basis.

Tbh my problem with drugs lies towards the massive stigma attached to taking some, I mean you hear all this talk about 'cannabis is so bad blah blah' and then you consider the chemicals that are in a lot of the foods we consume, their bigger impact and it all seems a bit ridiculous.

There's nothing that cannabis will do to you in the long run which eating and consuming loads of sugar/fries and pizzas won't do worse, so the question everyone has to ask is 'why stigmatise cannabis and other light drugs to such an extent, when they've actually been shown to have some positive effects and their negative effects aren't fully apparent, while additive filled foods get away with nothing but a hello and good to eat you?
Bobbler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not a fan of any drugs not because of the affects but just the closed-door culture it creates. People who do them become more insular with their group of friends who do it and end up lying to the people close to them and their families to keep it a secret that they're doing something illegal.

And anyone who says that it's not linked to mental health issues should look at my family, a great uncle with schizophrenia after doing LSD, coke & weed for too long in the 1970s & having to be put in a mental hospital for the rest of his life - with three other siblings who have never had mental health issues & who never did any drugs; my uncle who is currently suffering from psychosis after doing coke for a number of years (all his friends who were doing it have depression and other mental health issues as well); my mum's best friend who has seriously bad psychotic bi-polar and she pins it on doing loads of LSD. Some people might not get these long term effects because they're less prone to having mental health issues in their family, but personally, I wouldn't want to risk it because of the risks in my own family.
I mean I'm not just pinning that on illegal drugs, because my auntie had chemo & that literally drove her into a secure unit, and once she was finished on the chemo 2 months later she was fine again but was going to have to take pills for the rest of her life before she died; similarly my best friend's mum has severe bi-polar after having chemo as well.

I'm by no means saying that drugs WILL give you mental health issues, I'd just warn you that if you have a pre-disposition to having mental health problems in your family you're playing with fire; and even if you don't have any record of mental health problems, you could have that pre-disposition and not know it :/
...mo...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Drugs can be bad for you
Drugs can be good for you

Bad stuff can be bad for you
Good stuff can be bad for you

You can be you
You can be not you
Not you can be you

WAIT... whats this thread about again?
DeniedExistence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sii217)
It is quite annoying when you hear people bragging about how pi**** they got on Friday night, yet if you smoke weed you're apparently a druggie and on a slippery slope that's going inevitably to end with you becoming a heroin addict.

If you like going out getting drunk, you are a drug user, a legal drug yes, but a drug nonetheless.

High horses people, get off them.
This so much. Was talking to a guy while I was out the other day who was ranting about "****ing MDMA junkies" and how they were ruining society and all that sort of moronic stuff, then the conversation seamlessly slipped into how wasted he got last time he went out and how he got into a fight and all sorts of ****. He didn't notice the double standard at all. I'm not dissing alcohol, I love it, but it is fundamentally just another drug, the only difference between it and things like MD, coke, ket etc is that its legal and encouraged by society rather than the opposite.
Norris197
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To me, the most damaging effect recreational drugs can have on you is the gradual lifestyle change they incur. From personal experience, doing something every other night WILL lead to dramatic weight loss, altered sleep patterns and mild depression.

The key is to USE and not ABUSE. I still get on it when the situation arises (although the novelty has worn off a bit) and i'd gladly encourage anyone to also try anything they are interested in, but just don't fall in the trap of routine. It's easy to do and unless you have a good amount of will, extremely hard to recover from.

In my personal opinion though... stick to the psychedelic's , without sounding cliché they literally open your mind. I was definitely a different person after my first heavy acid trip.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HATE when people boast about it

hate it even more when every other picture on instagram and facebook is a joint or a bag of weed.

I really hate drugs at the best of times, think it's just stupid in every way. And it freaks me out haha. But if people wanna do drugs then whatever just do them but it should at least be discrete. Why would you want the world to know you're a stoner. Not cool :dry:

EDIT: Wow neg me for not abusing my body.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The Unique Bloke)
Wow i knew people here had no family ethics and therefore led a very "bad ass" lives *pity* cant blame you for that , but i never knew that you could be so ignorant also. Prescription drugs may have led to some unfortunate events but they are used to improve the quality of life and without them we all would be suffering from so many diseases. Also do you really think only when someone is killed by something we define it to be harmful??Stop trying to kid yourself buddy , harmful drugs like cocaine , heroin , cannabis , LSD and all that other crap out there are bad for you , wish people had a bit more maturity. Oh well i tried to make you see light , but now i just dont care , i am so embarrassed to be a part of this young generation. 30 years on from now , i will be succesful , disciplined and healthy , where as you would be sitting in the sewers cannabising the last remains of your life. Your choice , you have only one life
PS - i do have problem with people taking harmful drugs because i love humanity and i don't like how people throw their life away to such petty things.
How was that at all "trying to help him see the light"?? Yeah, cocaine/ heroin are bad things to get into, but where the hells your right to make that decision for someone? Do you ACTUALLY believe that it is justice when we throw a drug user in prison? You claim using drugs is a waste of life, but how is letting people who get caught rot in a building full of actual criminals any better? As the Hollanders would say, "You have to tolerate to control".
justme12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Never realised there were so many high horses in the world...
Darkphilosopher
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Suetonius)
Some substances are worth it. I enjoy weed and alcohol, hate tobacco (inc. passive smoking), and would particularly like to try mushrooms, acid, mescaline, DMT and salvia (in that order of priority). MDMA, ket, mephedrone, speed and cocaine are "meh" for me. I'd probably try them if I had the opportunity to do so, but aren't fussed if I do or don't. Avoid heroin, methamphetamine, PCP, crack and especially krokodil.

It's nothing really to do with "boasting". There have been times when I speak about weed to non-weed smokers and they sarcastically say "oh, you're so cool" as a snide remark just because they disagree with it and have no idea what the benefits of it are.
Krokodil is a nasty piece of work. Nobody should be putting that **** inside themselves
DaveSmith99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Drugs can be amazing, some of the best nights of my life I have been under the influence of drugs.
ESPORTIVA
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachelSophia)
HATE when people boast about it

hate it even more when every other picture on instagram and facebook is a joint or a bag of weed.

I really hate drugs at the best of times, think it's just stupid in every way. And it freaks me out haha. But if people wanna do drugs then whatever just do them but it should at least be discrete. Why would you want the world to know you're a stoner. Not cool :dry:
Do you drink coffee or alcohol?
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ESPORTIVA)
Do you drink coffee or alcohol?
No coffee or tea, or ciggarettes, I dont even actually like coke and occasional drink, never get drunk. But i don't photograph my drink and post it on the internet that's the difference. It is also legal... if you're going to do some illegal drugs why post it on the internet? How stupid and unnecessary...

Brb going to photograph me vandalising a wall to post on facebook...
justme12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Drugs can be amazing, some of the best nights of my life I have been under the influence of drugs.
They can be amazing when taken in a responsible manner, I've had a number of nights on drugs and all have been brilliant. It is a shame that people are so ignorant where drugs are concerned, both pro and anti.
justme12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No coffee or tea, or ciggarettes, I dont even actually like coke and occasional drink, never get drunk. But i don't photograph my drink and post it on the internet that's the difference. It is also legal... if you're going to do some illegal drugs why post it on the internet? How stupid and unnecessary...

Yeah I don't see why people feel the need to post pictures of drugs on the internet, but then I don't see why people post pictures of food or drinks.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bobbler)
I'm not a fan of any drugs not because of the affects but just the closed-door culture it creates. People who do them become more insular with their group of friends who do it and end up lying to the people close to them and their families to keep it a secret that they're doing something illegal.

And anyone who says that it's not linked to mental health issues should look at my family, a great uncle with schizophrenia after doing LSD, coke & weed for too long in the 1970s & having to be put in a mental hospital for the rest of his life - with three other siblings who have never had mental health issues & who never did any drugs; my uncle who is currently suffering from psychosis after doing coke for a number of years (all his friends who were doing it have depression and other mental health issues as well); my mum's best friend who has seriously bad psychotic bi-polar and she pins it on doing loads of LSD. Some people might not get these long term effects because they're less prone to having mental health issues in their family, but personally, I wouldn't want to risk it because of the risks in my own family.
I mean I'm not just pinning that on illegal drugs, because my auntie had chemo & that literally drove her into a secure unit, and once she was finished on the chemo 2 months later she was fine again but was going to have to take pills for the rest of her life before she died; similarly my best friend's mum has severe bi-polar after having chemo as well.

I'm by no means saying that drugs WILL give you mental health issues, I'd just warn you that if you have a pre-disposition to having mental health problems in your family you're playing with fire; and even if you don't have any record of mental health problems, you could have that pre-disposition and not know it :/
It's important to stress the last part of your post- that it is the people pre- disposed to these conditions that should be wary. However, I believe the part about drug culture being a closed- door culture is purely a symptom of drug prohibition. Since these substances are illegal, it makes it a bad idea to be publicly open about your use, 'cause of the risks/ stigma/ potential job insecurity, blah blah. It being illegal also forces people to network within groups of people who use the drugs, since you have to know a guy who sells to be able to buy. If prohibition was done with, it would be rational to assume that the cult status that many people have within the drug culture would dissolve. People would no longer be potheads or pill junkies and nothing more, but rather a person who just happens to consume these substances.
ESPORTIVA
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

I agree that too many people post pics of everything on facebook, but i think thats more of an issue with the people that use facebook instead of what they are posting online.

People who use facebook obviously dont value thier privacy in the first place.

I think i read somewhere that when you post a picture on facebook, legally you no longer have ownership of that photo (im not sure if this is true but i wouldnt be suprised if it is)
Stacey-
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah I don't like too much when people act as if they're "proud" of it, but I don't care if people do drugs or not because it's irrelevant to me.
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you want the world to know you're a stoner.
To try and educate others and highlight how unjust the law is in this area. To let others know how effective a medication it is. Keeping its use hidden means many people see users as a part of a unsavory underworld, they don't realise how widespread its use is, that most users are not undesirable members of society, that users more often than not do not have a misuse problem and are not weak or lacking in proper morals, that people are using it to treat all kinds of illnesses and that in most cases there is no victim.
glousck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
To try and educate others and highlight how unjust the law is in this area. To let others know how effective a medication it is. Keeping its use hidden means many people see users as a part of a unsavory underworld, they don't realise how widespread its use is, that most users are not undesirable members of society, that users more often than not do not have a misuse problem and are not weak or lacking in proper morals, that people are using it to treat all kinds of illnesses and that in most cases there is no victim.
This 100%.

The statistics as to who's done drugs will never be reliable but if some-one told me over 50% of the population have use cannabis at least once I wouln't be surprised. Whilst it's illegal, people have to keep it to themselves as some sort of anti-social subculture and it's made to seem like something that 'goes against the system'. Just wanted to add to your last point, the only people it does harm are those involved because of the war on drugs - drugs cartels, people kille by drugs gangs/drugs lords etc. Legalisation would prevent so many deaths that it angers me in a way that this is something that is never brought to public attention.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
I actually think most people realise how widespread its use is...
and i also think that the majority of users are idiots because they think they are 'hard' by smoking it... but that's just my opinion because those who smoke it around my area are typical chavs and lay abouts, who cant work because they are stoned most of the time. Perhaps it's different in other places and maybe thats why my views are biased? That an my encounters with people who are on drugs, like i said, it freaks me out haha.

I've yet to find a nice, friendly and intelligent, hard working stoner. I know that probably sounds like a huge generalisation and a really ignorant comment but it's true [i would like to clear up that i'm not saying they dont exist just that i'm yet to find one]. Neg me all you want but it's people like that who always go on about legalising it and never help it because they can't control their abuse of the drug.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.65%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.39%
Not great so far... (212)
35.63%
I want to drop out! (115)
19.33%

Watched Threads