Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What to do about the poor? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by objectivism)
    What should we do (if anything) about the poor. I'm tired of seeing poor people.
    Re-assess our ides on 'economics' and the measurement of an individuals success by the amount of money he accumulates. It seems to me that the amount of money accumulated by individuals is approx. inversely proportional to their contribution to society.
    Whilst we continue to use money as the yardstick for success we stand no chance of dealing with the potential disasters facing the Planet and we will all end up "poor"?

ReputationRep:
    I kinda feel like giving up on Africa, its so backward and any attempt to help seems to get no where.

You've got to ask why no where in Africa has ever developed a proper civilisation. In the sense there is little technology, no indiginous writing system. etc

ReputationRep:
    I believe that it's better for everyone to look after their local area first before comitting to international charities. For example I would rather sponsor a poor disabled childrens charity in my city because i know exaclty where my money is going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Did I ever say we should help the poor at the expense of the rich?
    did i say you did?

however, based on your attempt to pre-empt anything on that i'll assume you think we should. its clearly in your mind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakatu)
    You've got to ask why no where in Africa has ever developed a proper civilisation. In the sense there is little technology, no indiginous writing system. etc
    South Africa?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.