Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£8.5 billion to go to Africa watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Has foreign aid ever significantly improved the education system of the recipient country? If you build the schools for them, who's going to maintain them? By building the schools, you'll be drastically increasing demand for construction workers, thus raising the price they charge, making it impossible for natives to hire these workers. Where will you get the teachers in the extra schools? How will you make sure that all the school supplies make it to the students? How are you going to get parents to send a major source of income (i.e. their children) to school? Reality is always more complex than utopia.
    I don't know the technicalities of the situation but I'm sure £8.5 billion can account for a lot of that, the creation of schools is going to generate jobs for skilled workers as you've said and is going to prepare future generations for professional work as well, thus not condemning the population to a cycle of constant poverty. As I have repeatedly said, I don't think this is going to solve anything long term, but I certainly think it will have some positive effects. If you don't believe that it's a practical scheme, then what results do you see occuring from this aid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    I don't know the technicalities of the situation but I'm sure £8.5 billion can account for a lot of that, the creation of schools is going to generate jobs for skilled workers as you've said and is going to prepare future generations for professional work as well, thus not condemning the population to a cycle of constant poverty. As I have repeatedly said, I don't think this is going to solve anything long term, but I certainly think it will have some positive effects. If you don't believe that it's a practical scheme, then what results do you see occuring from this aid?
    More corruption, more statist economic policies, more inflation, and richer rulers and their cronies. If you don't force them to reform, which can only be done by cutting off aid, then they're going to continue with their misguided policies. As I previously said, the only thing that the West can do to help along the process is to remove the agricultural subsidies, and the effect of that will not be very large.

ReputationRep:
    How easy it is to be generous with other people's money. Under what authority does Gordon Brown make such pledges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomiser)
    Wasted? That's an ignorant comment.

If the aid is well managed, it can only do good. It's about damn time Africa lost it's reputation as the "dark continent".
    But an appeal to history would reveal that aid very often isn't well managed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    have you even bothered to consider the human consequences of cutting aid altogether? It would be a humanitarian disaster. So it's not a realistic option.
    you think its not a humanitarian disaster already?

continually handing out cash to keep millions just out of the death bed isn't the realistic option. thats why africa continues to go nowhere.

you need to wake up and accept that the continent cant support a 1/4 of those living there. these people will never be anything but a drain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    you think its not a humanitarian disaster already?

continually handing out cash to keep millions just out of the death bed isn't the realistic option. thats why africa continues to go nowhere.

you need to wake up and accept that the continent cant support a 1/4 of those living there. these people will never be anything but a drain.
    In my opinion that's a disgusting attitude but if that's what you think then I have nothing to counter your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    In my opinion that's a disgusting attitude but if that's what you think then I have nothing to counter your opinion.
    i call it "the seeing beyond tomorrow perspective"

dare to think

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.