Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What about simply designing a basket to go on the back of a pram which means that u really only have 2 design the basket and the mechanism to join it on the back. Because if its a trolley then how is it going 2 fold for transport or is it for the shops 2 buy and hire out to the shoppers. even if the trolley does fold it will take up a lot of space in the car and it may simply not fit in a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wjamo)
    What about simply designing a basket to go on the back of a pram which means that u really only have 2 design the basket and the mechanism to join it on the back. Because if its a trolley then how is it going 2 fold for transport or is it for the shops 2 buy and hire out to the shoppers. even if the trolley does fold it will take up a lot of space in the car and it may simply not fit in a car.
    i don't think the brieft will be likw that. it will be like to design a trolley or buggy, therefore you still have to design a pram in your case. you can't just say, i'm just gonna use the existing pram and i'm just gonna design a basket to stick it on the pram. It doesn't work like that i think LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwoo)
    i don't think the brieft will be likw that. it will be like to design a trolley or buggy, therefore you still have to design a pram in your case. you can't just say, i'm just gonna use the existing pram and i'm just gonna design a basket to stick it on the pram. It doesn't work like that i think LOL
    There is nothing in the preparation materials which states that it will be a whole new independant product.

It could well be an 'add-on' product for existing prams/ trolleys - we jsut don't know.

There is no harm in looking into this area - just so long as you're ready to adapt your preparations to fit whatever the brief requests.

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing here is to not underprepare and strap yourself into one system. From the concept stage onwards, you should have 2 lots of prep work done:
    1. If they want a shopping carrying unit with child carrying capabilities
    2. If they want a child carrying unit with shopping carrying capabilities
    *goes back to designing*

ReputationRep:
    but it ask us to research on brakes and wheels, so shouldn't it be a shopping carrying unit with child carrying capabilities?

ReputationRep:
    touche! its going to be a trolley or buggy and they wont surprise us since edexcel td is becoming more of a joke if they push the uniform mark up. normally in other subjects you go up around 10-20 "marks" from your raw to the uniform, To my knowledge last year in AS i got 35/60 or something and i went up around 50 or so uniform marks to around 80. Sorry to detour the subject! how did you all get on in your coursework? how good would it be if you designed and manufactured a buggy for your project!?? not like i think anyone would do that!

ReputationRep:
    a friend in my class made a trolley for his cw! his brief was i think to make a silent trolley

ReputationRep:
    wow now that is lucky! we all made boring furniture like coffee tables, chairs and knitting stands (???). I got full marks like so happy days!

ReputationRep:
    it was just an idea because you could develop it 2 have wheels on the back like and extension to the pram. Have yous been able 2 get any information on anthropomorphics i havent as yet but i was thinking of asking the like of car manufactures cause they use dummies 2 crash the cars and they would probably be average size of a child and for adults so they must have data which would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    All anthropodmetric data is dodgy. All of them say different things so as long as you have big bold writting saying "anthropomentic data applied here" and then a wee table with reasonable information then youl be grand. Then you need to select which group of the data that you are designing for and WHY. You only get the marks in this exam if you justify eg 50th percentile of both the boy and girl data collaborated since it means that the majority will be met. Well thats my reasoning! just use the data like you would in your coursework

ReputationRep:
    It seems like most people are on the designing and development stage at the moment, so I would like to stress the 3 possible things they could spring upon you in the exam that will throw you off:
    1. The unit has to be able to carry and be safe for the entire child range 0-5, not just 1 section of it (e.g. newlyborn, toddler etc.) thus considerations must be made for the angle of the seat.
    2. The unit must be able to collapse. It's better to research into folding mechanisms than be left in the exams making one up on the spot. It should only take max 1hour of your time to jot down all the important information in prep work.
    3.The primary use of the unit could either be trolley or buggy. If they put emphasis on one of those and you have only designed for the other, you may find yourself in a bit of trouble.

Best of luck to all. If anyone has any specific questions they want to ask me, feel free. If it takes me a while to respond please bear with me, there have been a few troubles my side which are taking up a fair bit of time.

ReputationRep:
    hey, where does it says it has to be able to be collapse?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't but they only give you a general few points to research. They add a few or specify a bit further the specification of the product when you get in the exam room and those are the 3 main problem areas that they could spring upon you in the paper so I suggest some looking into and preparation for them. It's up to you really, I'd just suggest being over prepared for the plausable eventualities than being underprepared and getting buggered.

ReputationRep:
    yo i was looking at the two designs and i was like what!!! I just assumed that we'd be taking a regular trolley and trying to make it better... not redesign something completely new. Cause ive tried drawing a regular trolley and its too hard for my drawing capabilities so if i culd draw wacky new designs like u guys are doing itd be easier. Any hints or tips with drawin culd also come in handy and does iot have to be 3d?

ReputationRep:
    Well your defo going to need to do a 3d drawing at the end of the project, thats for sure. Which kinda sucks.
    This means that the how idea of making a trolley or buggy idea goes straight out the window, unless you make it extremely simple. Buggy's are made up of over 1000 parts and the likely hood of you drawing that in 10-15 mins is rediculus. I was thinking about designing something that was injection molded that folded in half or something. That something that my teachers have been saying anyway, what do you think?
    To clear up some confusion about the collapsing part, it refers to light weight materials, thus suggesting that it needs to be lifted rather than carried, yeah. Why else would you need to lift it, otherwise to lift it up somewhere or into the car, after the shopping spree.

Im kinda stuck on anthropermetric data :confused: , and the bearings part of the research. Ive come up with using just plain bearings as any other would just be not needed, and already existing buggys only have these too.

Does anybody need some help with their drawings as am happy to help as were all in on this, though dont copy just manipulate and use to help to design your own, ill try scan them in.
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    cool :>

ReputationRep:
    hey, i just read this thread!

I totally didn't think of a trolley when i got my paper, i thought of some sort of buggy which you can put shopping it. Coz like a few ppl have sed why wud u push a trolley down the street.

Secondly i'm hoping that they specify an age group, because you simply cannot design for 0-5 year olds with one product.

Finally i've done a mock, got lotsa ideas. I'd suggest people put together mood boards to take it with exisiting products as inspiration.

Also they are testing that u solve the problem and that ur product meets your spec! Anyways will try help by putting some of my stuff up on here xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hope this helps
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc ideas.doc (394.0 KB, 206 views)

ReputationRep:
    and this.................
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    ant this (money happily accepted, don't take switch tho! lol)

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.