Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/7...escreen9ow.png

the more i use it, the more i see why people love fluxbox so much. im sticking to the gtk apps so i dont waste ram loading both gtk and qt libraries, but look! im running resident evil! and i have a flie manager and GAIM
    Sheesh! How have you managed to play games. Whats fluxbox? I've been messing with linux to get things to work. I didn't know you can play mp3s from the windows drive - d'oh! I just mount it and play the mp3 through xmms. But there's one problem, I can't get MP3s to work! I've searched for help guides but nothing useful did I find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    Sheesh! How have you managed to play games. Whats fluxbox? I've been messing with linux to get things to work. I didn't know you can play mp3s from the windows drive - d'oh! I just mount it and play the mp3 through xmms. But there's one problem, I can't get MP3s to work! I've searched for help guides but nothing useful did I find.
    fluxbox is just another window manager... i don't think debian has the codecs to play mp3s but you say you use xmms. do mp3s play normally from your linux partition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Hmm... a word of warning, you don't want to mount any ntfs windows drives read write - read only tyvm
    yep thats a good point.

altho i think by default you arent even able to write to it, if you do somehow manage to enable write support for ntfs be aware it could nuke the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    yep thats a good point.

altho i think by default you arent even able to write to it, if you do somehow manage to enable write support for ntfs be aware it could nuke the system.
    i don't think the module for ntfs has write at all.

ReputationRep:
    Debian won't have mp3 codecs in its default repos; you need to go hunting for more repos (that said, if you imported that sources list earlier, you should have a sufficient list)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    i don't think the module for ntfs has write at all.
    It depends on how the kernel is built. There's an option in there for enabling ntfs write support (with a large "EXPERIMENTAL" flag)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    epsxe

its a playstation emulator, and it owns. just had a good bash on ye olde resident evil, classic! bloody nemesis is a beeatch.

fluxbox is a window manager. its not really in the same category as gnome or kde, those are "desktop environments" which encorporate a whole suite of utilities along witha window manager, wheras fluxbox litterally is nothing more than a taskbar, a "slit" and a menu

mp3's can be enabled with lame or xine, if you have a package manager (like synaptic in ubuntu) then search for lame or xine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    It depends on how the kernel is built. There's an option in there for enabling ntfs write support (with a large "EXPERIMENTAL" flag)
    apparently the experimental flag has been removed from 2.6.4 O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    epsxe

its a playstation emulator, and it owns. just had a good bash on ye olde resident evil, classic! bloody nemesis is a beeatch.

fluxbox is a window manager. its not really in the same category as gnome or kde, those are "desktop environments" which encorporate a whole suite of utilities along witha window manager, wheras fluxbox litterally is nothing more than a taskbar, a "slit" and a menu

mp3's can be enabled with lame or xine, if you have a package manager (like synaptic in ubuntu) then search for lame or xine.
    what spec is your computer and at what fps does the games run at?

i think xmms depends on mpg123

apt-get install mpg123

ReputationRep:
    I seem to remember having mpg321 instead of mpg123, for reasons I could never fathom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    I seem to remember having mpg321 instead of mpg123, for reasons I could never fathom
    mpg321 is a clone of the popular mpg123 command-line mp3 player. It should function as a drop-in replacement for mpg123 in many cases. While some of the functionality of mpg123 is not yet implemented, mpg321 should function properly in most cases for most people, such as for frontends such as gqmpeg.

mpg321 is based on the mad MPEG audio decoding library. It therefore is highly accurate, and also uses only fixed-point calculation, making it more efficient on machines without a floating-point unit.

While mpg321 is not as fast as the non-free mpg123 on systems which have a floating point unit, it comes under a fully Free license, which allows greater freedom to its users. For most people who want mpg123, mpg321 is a better alternative.

-http://packages.debian.org/unstable/sound/mpg321.html

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks, that'd explain it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    what spec is your computer and at what fps does the games run at?

i think xmms depends on mpg123

apt-get install mpg123
    its a cheap laptop, 1.8 semperon, 512 mb ram integrated gfx with no dedicated ram and deffinately no acceleration in linux. i get full 50/50 @ 1024x768x24 for resident evil 3, but the movies stutter loads, i think that is to do with the video plugin i am using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    set the options in fstab to be

umask=0000,auto,noexec

and you will have read write access as any user
    Grr! My relevent fstab line is now
    Code:
    /dev/sda1               /mnt/windows    ntfs            umask=0727,auto,user      0 0
    and it still won't let me read the drive (insufficient permissions), despite the fact it lets me mount it!

ReputationRep:
    ur flash drive is formatted in ntfs? thats unusual....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Grr! My relevent fstab line is now
    Code:
    /dev/sda1               /mnt/windows    ntfs            umask=0727,auto,user      0 0
    and it still won't let me read the drive (insufficient permissions), despite the fact it lets me mount it!
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0000 0 0
    try that

(Original post by Choad)
    ur flash drive is formatted in ntfs? thats unusual....
    it's a scsi drive is it not?

ReputationRep:
    It's a sata drive, my flash drive is sdb1/2.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0000 0 0
    But doesn't that enable RW access; which I definitely don't want? Well... not enable I suppose, but still give some negative side effects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    It's a sata drive, my flash drive is sdb1/2.

But doesn't that enable RW access; which I definitely don't want? Well... not enable I suppose, but still give some negative side effects?
    im pretty sure there is no write access built in to the ntfs module because its flagged as experimental, you have to set it as you compile the kernel.

ReputationRep:
    I've got NTFS windows drive and is that the reason I can't read it? Never mind that for now, can someone tell me how to setup sshd? I've installed it and it appears when I type "top" to display the tasks. I want to run it remotely using Putty. I've setup port forwarding. Do I have to restart the modem?

EDIT: OK, I've restarted the modem.

ReputationRep:
    WOW! After loggin in as root, I am able to listen to my music through xmms! I done no modifications to make it support MP3s! I just played it and it works straight off! How stupid am i to not try as root!

Now to get the ssh thing working :|.

I managed to mount the dvd as well. Is there any program that plays dvds?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2006
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.