Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should he be executed? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should he be executed?
    Yes
    31.33%
    No
    68.67%

(Original post by Bismarck)
    You have a right to forgive murderers; you have no right to tell others to forget as well.
    Did I say that I did? :confused:

My point in posting the experience of the event of 9/11 for my family was to provide a comparison between Akhoza and myself and to show that as some could forgive, what they did was not necessarily unforgiveable to all sufferers.

As a family, we will never be able to forget since we lost a member of our family, but being unable to forget in no way means unable to forgive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Did I say that I did? :confused:

My point in posting the experience of the event of 9/11 for my family was to provide a comparison between Akhoza and myself and to show that as some could forgive, what they did was not necessarily unforgiveable to all sufferers.

As a family, we will never be able to forget since we lost a member of our family, but being unable to forget in no way means unable to forgive.
    But if it's unforgiveable to some of the sufferers, why shouldn't they see proper justice carried out?

(Original post by Bismarck)
    But if it's unforgiveable to some of the sufferers, why shouldn't they see proper justice carried out?
    Depends on what is considered 'proper' justice - and now we come full circle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If he actualy killed people, CP is perfect for him. He he was not actualy involved in the killings, then no. We only kill killers.

How could he have killed people at 9/11 and still be alive? (sorry, I don't know the story)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    If he actualy killed people, CP is perfect for him. He he was not actualy involved in the killings, then no. We only kill killers.

How could he have killed people at 9/11 and still be alive? (sorry, I don't know the story)
    By what twisted logic would you not execute the ringleader, but execute his subordinates? By your logic, bin Laden shouldn't be executed, while the al-Qaeda foot soldiers should be; Hitler shouldn't have been executed (if caught alive), but the Nazi soldiers should have been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    But you should obey a law even ifyou feel it is bad, otherwise the law becomes a fallacy.
    But you shouldn't obey a law simply because it is law, else the law becomes a fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    But you shouldn't obey a law simply because it is law, else the law becomes a fallacy.
    of course laws are there to be obeyed but the system also needs testing as for the original Q. of course this bloke should be killed if nothing else as a warning to others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zany1000)
    of course laws are there to be obeyed but the system also needs testing as for the original Q. of course this bloke should be killed if nothing else as a warning to others
    Whereas such could not be accomplished similarly via the prospect of a life-sentence?

ReputationRep:
    to people like him he would like to have died so it would not mean a thing to him or others who would go out of thier way to make sure that they died

(Original post by zany1000)
    to people like him he would like to have died so it would not mean a thing to him or others who would go out of thier way to make sure that they died
    So we execute him to help him achieve his wish?

That seems somewhat perverse and would in fact be rewarding him, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    So we execute him to help him achieve his wish?

That seems somewhat perverse and would in fact be rewarding him, surely?
    I believe it's known as 'win-win'.

(Original post by JonathanH)
    I believe it's known as 'win-win'.
    As I say, it's 'perverse'...and hardly creditable.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell does 'hardly creditable' mean? That it's not to the credit of the US to execute self-confessed and unrepentant terrorists? I think it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    So did my family.

He was in his office in the second tower and was on the phone to my cousin (his wife) reassuring her he was OK and about to evacuate the building when he said "OMG - there's a plane coming straight towards me..." The rest is history.

The difference between you and us is that we have forgiven and therefore are liberated from hatred.

I thank God for giving us the strength to do so.
    I'll forgive in my own time and i dont have any sympathy or love for those who terrorise and plot to take innocent lives and show no remorse for their actions.

ReputationRep:
    I've nothing against the death penalty but I worry it could make him a martyr for the terrorists cause (which I believe is what he wants). Also, I imagine he believes in the afterlife and will see his death as means to paradise. Imprisonment for life would probably be the worst option for him, so it's what I would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John82)
    I've nothing against the death penalty but I worry it could make him a martyr for the terrorists cause (which I believe is what he wants). Also, I imagine he believes in the afterlife and will see his death as means to paradise. Imprisonment for life would probably be the worst option for him, so it's what I would do.
    Chances are he'll spend a good 10-15 years in prison before he's executed (just like any other death row inmate). That way he gets to live for a decade with the full knowledge that his life will be ended prematurely.

ReputationRep:
    if he is executed then we are no better than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    Because clearly "they" have been executing convicted criminals after granting them due process according to the law of the land.

We breathe just like the terrorists, therefore we're no better than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HagerVor)
    I'm anti death penalty myself but I must question your logic here. Surely executing someone who has had a fair trial and been found guilty of mass murder isn't as bad as being a mass murderer is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I'm anti death penalty myself but I must question your logic here. Surely executing someone who has had a fair trial and been found guilty of mass murder isn't as bad as being a mass murderer is it?
    lock him up and throw away the key - yes.

but theres been more than enough bloodshed.

What they believed they were doing were killing criminals themselves. most of the arab world believes that the western world are criminals. In their eyes (as a culture) we are guilty of mass murder ourselves... how many children have been killed in Iraq again??

an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth does not work.

i think that made sense..lol

peace.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.