Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Scotto)

A lot of the tramps are ex armed services, or victims of the mental health system, so by sending them back to institutions that created their problems in the first place its not really the right thing.

So those are the ones I have sympathy for.

I do have an issue with big issue sellers though.

Hassled before work in the morning.

Hassled after work in the evening.

They stand in the same space all day... are more punctual than I am, yet cant go get a basic job somewhere, even in a factory or something to get themselves out of the situation they're in. Those are the ones whome I have no sympathy for.
    I wouldn't mind so much if the BI was remotely readable.

ReputationRep:
    It used to be ok, standard leftie political stuff. Back in Wales the few times I got it was ok, but when I buy it here in Cambridge it's not good. It's a shame, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aetheria)
    I don't treat them with contempt, I just ignore them.
    Can you think of anything more awful than living your life being ignored by everybody you attempted to make contact with? Perhaps you never have positive experiences with homeless people because you would ignore them if they did attempt to approach you?

Seriously -- just think how you would act if a person who was obviously homeless started walking towards in order to have a nice chat and perhaps point you in the right direction if you were lost for example. Would you turn away and walk in the other direction? I guess that most people would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Of all of the homeless people on the streets, you have the least sympathy for the ones earning legitimate money? By doing a proper job? As opposed to doing no job at all? Thats rather strange....
    Puzzled me too. Oh well, people are stange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Can you think of anything more awful than living your life being ignored by everybody you attempted to make contact with? Perhaps you never have positive experiences with homeless people because you would ignore them if they did attempt to approach you?

Seriously -- just think how you would act if a person who was obviously homeless started walking towards in order to have a nice chat and perhaps point you in the right direction if you were lost for example. Would you turn away and walk in the other direction? I guess that most people would.
    She has a right to go about her business unmolested though, hasn't she?
    Do you think these guys would have a go at her if she was a six feet tall, muscular bloke. I think not.

Just added a nice new dimension.

ReputationRep:
    I agree; it's very intimidating when around town on your own and being hassled by these weird old guys who may have a knife on them.

I wonder what coldfish would do if he/she was on their own and was threatened with being stabbed for refusing to give any money.
    Well, if he/she was clever, i bet he/she wouldn't think, OMG ALL TRAMPS ARE EVIL AND THEY ALL WANT TO STAB ME AAAAAAAARGH, LET ME PHONE THE DAILY MAIL FOR AN INTERVIEW.........

ReputationRep:
    Well, if he/she was clever, i bet he/she wouldn't think, OMG ALL TRAMPS ARE EVIL AND THEY ALL WANT TO STAB ME AAAAAAAARGH, LET ME PHONE THE DAILY MAIL FOR AN INTERVIEW.........
    no rather s/he would think "OMG why won't this scum leave me alone? instead they should do something for the state!"

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the point I'm making. Whether it is legitimate or not, people have a fear of homeless people. Can you imagine how awful it would be to genuinely not mean people any harm and yet be ignored and avoided?

This is why I make an effort not to presume that a homeless person is going to be rude or aggressive, because me presuming that may well be the reason that they are so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    This is exactly the point I'm making. Whether it is legitimate or not, people have a fear of homeless people. Can you imagine how awful it would be to genuinely not mean people any harm and yet be ignored and avoided?

This is why I make an effort not to presume that a homeless person is going to be rude or aggressive, because me presuming that may well be the reason that they are so.
    Indeed. And i wonder what this fear of homeless guys is called? Hobophobia?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Manchester so I am quite well versed in homeless people etiquette and I can't think of many occasions of them being abusive. Usually they mutter as you walk past, presumably because they can't work up the energy to talk at full volume, or ask outright for money. Now, if you actually respond, for example 'Sorry mate' rather than walk away and ignore them (I know polite interaction isn't the British way of doing things but give it a try), they will often thank you for at least responding.

When you are walking through town on cold, wet Saturday nights and there are dozens of people lying on the floor, shivering and starving, yet still have the good nature to appear in photographs with you when you are wandering home drunk and with a camera, well there's a lot to be said for that. Especially when compared to the impatient and intolerant attitudes of some people for whom being spoken to by a homeless person is just too much emotional trauma to bear. No-one deserves to live like that.

ReputationRep:
    The one bad thing I have to say about the homeless though, is that the poetry they write for the Big Issue is ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Especially when compared to the impatient and intolerant attitudes of some people for whom being spoken to by a homeless person is just too much emotional trauma to bear. No-one deserves to live like that.
    your right: no one deserves to live like that. They should do like me or Howie said much earlier on in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    I knew I misplaced that line but I thought no-one would bother to comment. Obviously I over estimated you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    A mentally unstable 12 year old, whose dad beat up his mum then turned on him, has had a harder time then me. For me to blame him if he then turns into a less-than-admirable person would be a mistake. For me to say he is scum and should be used in place of animals in scientific experiments is absolutely disgusting.

COMPASSION. These people need help, not condemnation. Stop congratulating yourselves for being such a wonderfully hard-working person, those that do - it was luck, pure and simple.
    Children shouldn't be on the streets. If you're giving money to 12 year olds who're living rough instead of getting a policeman to take them and hand them over to social services then in my opinion you're neglecting them to some degree and should be ashamed of yourself.

Your comment about 'luck' is also crap. Succeeding almost always involves triumphing over adversity and one characteristic of most successful people is that it's almost impossible to keep them down no matter what their circumstances. There are plenty of people who work hard to earn what they've got and to ascribe that to little more than being lucky is repugnant.

(Original post by Laika)
    I live in Manchester so I am quite well versed in homeless people etiquette and I can't think of many occasions of them being abusive. Usually they mutter as you walk past, presumably because they can't work up the energy to talk at full volume, or ask outright for money. Now, if you actually respond, for example 'Sorry mate' rather than walk away and ignore them (I know polite interaction isn't the British way of doing things but give it a try), they will often thank you for at least responding.
    I suggest you might, being male, have a little more confidence about doing this. My experiences are similar to yours, but I am also a guy, fairly well built and generally not too afraid of the outside world. I can imagine if I was small and female, particularly considering all the stuff that goes on these days, I might not be so confident.

I think 'sorry mate' really is the way to go though. But like you say, it doesn't come naturally to everyone - particularly in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this has already been said, but the Army is a professional institution, dedicated to defending the British constitution and the British people against other constitutions or peoples which are more aggressive or a potential danger. It's NOT a babysitting organisation - it doesn't want your tramps or louts or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    When do homeless people do that? You said you've been to Cambridge (or you live/study there...etc). That's the place where I was threatened and have been shouted at down the street. There is one decent guy, and that's the guy by Sainsburys (who is *really* annoying with his comments, but still nice), but he's not a true homeless guy since he's a Big Issue seller (just want to make it clear that I'm not including BI sellers in this...although they're v annoying especially when they stand below your window....argh!).

I ignore the homeless people who say "got any money?" etc. They don't say anything else actually. Well, there was the alcoholic sitting on my front steps, who might have said something else, but he was too drunk for me to understand.
    The guy by Sainsburys is AWESOME! I have good chats with him at least twice a week! He's really nice...and at least he has enthusiasm for his job, unlike some who just mumble. He always cheers me up anyway, and he's really polite. As for the ones who say "got any change?"...well would it be so difficult for you to just say "no, sorry"? I live in Cambridge, I've been sworn at and followed there when on my own and I'm a tiny 5 foot girl. It's not stopped me being polite ever, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Children shouldn't be on the streets. If you're giving money to 12 year olds who're living rough instead of getting a policeman to take them and hand them over to social services then in my opinion you're neglecting them to some degree and should be ashamed of yourself.

Your comment about 'luck' is also crap. Succeeding almost always involves triumphing over adversity and one characteristic of most successful people is that it's almost impossible to keep them down no matter what their circumstances. There are plenty of people who work hard to earn what they've got and to ascribe that to little more than being lucky is repugnant.
    I've never seen someone get so many things wrong in one post!

1) I didn't say he was twelve at the time of living rough: TURNS INTO
    2) I didn't say I would give them money, you have pulled that out of your *ss
    3) To claim 'all people have to overcome adversity' is true, to imply that it is equivalent for all people is ridiculous. Some people are born to billionaires, are beautiful, clever, have a great education, etc. Most aren't. 1/3 of people don't have easy access to clean water.
    4) I didn't say successful people were only lucky, it is just incomparably easier to be so for some people rather than others. The phrase I used was 'hard-working'.

Still thanks for commenting though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howie)
    My town is littered with bums, spongers, and trampies (more politically correctly known as hobos ). Recently a tramp cursed me when I refused his plea for change. The reason why I didn't give him change was because it has always been my conviction that my generous offerings would only contribute to the further deterioration of the subject, i.e. drugs and drink. Instead of lounging around and intimidating decent folk they should be "volunteered" by the government into making a proper contribution to society e.g. charity work, army front line. They are harming our countries precious image and only by cleansing our soceity of these scum will we be able to rectify our damaged reputation!
    Ive not seen them as a threat to me as such, none have ever bothered me, so im not overly worried to be honest. Ive seen a few get a bit violent to people when they don't hand over a few pennies, which to me is wrong. I have given many "tramps" my spare change, even if they do go to the nearest off license and spend it on drink, but i suppose that makes them violent.

And to see them do charity work, or something like "Community Help" would be stupid, thats for criminals, and community service etc.. maybe if the tramp does a bad thing, cause a criminal offense, then yes, but i can't see the problem with them. Most of the "homeless" here, keep their heads down and out of trouble, but i havn't ever been in london at night, or bigger cities then here, to really comment on the homeless there, its different where you go. Certain homeless people will be constantly violent in one city, and in another city, they will keep their heads down, and just beg for money/sell big issues and play instruments. Which is what they do where i live.

The scum of society are not the homeless. The scum of the society are those who cause criminal damage, distress, kill etc.. criminals are much worse then homeless people. :s:

I think thats all i can say at the moment..

ReputationRep:
    Of all of the homeless people on the streets, you have the least sympathy for the ones earning legitimate money? By doing a proper job? As opposed to doing no job at all? Thats rather strange....

yes, as it means they're capable of getting themselves out of the position they're found themselves in, but chose not to. Its proof of their lazyness.

(im talking about the BI sellers who have been doing it for years)

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed the homeless problem is more prevalent in small towns, such as Cambridge, Oxford, touristy areas but where there are also rich people. It doesn't happen in cities. Never happened to me in London, Manchester, Newcastle or Liverpool and I've spent some time in each;
    Eh? I don't know which versions of London or Manchester you were in but I've never seen any more homeless peeople than in those cities at night.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.