wasia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stuart_aitken)
Tell us the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tractor of mass 3500kg is used to tow a trailer across a horizontal field. Trailer is connected to the tractor by a horizontal tow bar. As they move a constant resistance force of 800N acts on the trailer and a constant resistance force of of R newtons acts on the tractor. A forward driving force of 2500N acts on the tractor. Trailer and tractor accelerate at 0.2ms-2

Q4b) find the magnitude of the force that the tow bar exerts on the trailer

Q4c) state magnitude of force that the tow bar exerts on the tractor
stuart_aitken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wasia)
Tractor of mass 3500kg is used to tow a trailer across a horizontal field. Trailer is connected to the tractor by a horizontal tow bar. As they move a constant resistance force of 800N acts on the trailer and a constant resistance force of of R newtons acts on the tractor. A forward driving force of 2500N acts on the tractor. Trailer and tractor accelerate at 0.2ms-2

Thanks:yy:. But does the trailer have a mass too? I'm sure it needs to be known, because a light trailer wouldn't require as much force as a heavy trailer, and if I remember correctly I do think the mass was given in the question..?
wasia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks:yy:. But does the trailer have a mass too? I'm sure it needs to be known, because a light trailer wouldn't require as much force as a heavy trailer, and if I remember correctly I do think the mass was given in the question..?
oh yeah sorry, its 2400kg
stuart_aitken
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by wasia)
Tractor of mass 3500kg is used to tow a trailer of mass 2400kg across a horizontal field. Trailer is connected to the tractor by a horizontal tow bar. As they move a constant resistance force of 800N acts on the trailer and a constant resistance force of of R newtons acts on the tractor. A forward driving force of 2500N acts on the tractor. Trailer and tractor accelerate at 0.2ms-2

b) Here you only need to consider the force causing the trailer to accelerate at the given rate. And therefore only consider the forces acting on the trailer:

F=ma
T-800=2400*0.2
Then solve for T

c)I'm pretty sure here the force is the same as for the previous question, since it's all one connected body.

Just a quick disclaimer... I could be totally wrong. Sort of rushed it as I'm on my phone and about to start work at 4am..! It'd be good if you have a copy of the mark scheme?

Anyway that's my effort! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
wasia
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
b) Here you only need to consider the force causing the trailer to accelerate at the given rate. And therefore only consider the forces acting on the trailer:

F=ma
T-800=2400*0.2
Then solve for T

c)I'm pretty sure here the force is the same as for the previous question, since it's all one connected body.

Just a quick disclaimer... I could be totally wrong. Sort of rushed it as I'm on my phone and about to start work at 4am..! It'd be good if you have a copy of the mark scheme?

Anyway that's my effort! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks so much for your help i get it now. I do have a copy of the mark scheme. I cant upload it right now as i have an exam tomorrow, but i'll do it asap.You start work at four :eek:
tingtingweb8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where can I find the paper?
wasia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tingtingweb8)
Where can I find the paper?
It should be on the AQA website
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads