The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusfox
Living in the UK, I have a right to consider how Scottish independence will affect me and my life as a citizen and resident of the UK. Indeed, the rest of the UK should have an equal say (ironically if anything, that would make Scottish independence more likely)

Whereas I, as a Scottish person living in England, have no say. Rumour is they won't even allow postal votes for this referendum.

If you're living in Scotland you can be from England, Wales, Mozambique or Gallifrey and you get a vote as long as you're on the electoral roll. Scottish people living in these places don't get a word in edgeways, which is one thing I am extremely angry and concerned about.
Reply 101
Original post by ch0llima
Whereas I, as a Scottish person living in England, have no say. Rumour is they won't even allow postal votes for this referendum.

If you're living in Scotland you can be from England, Wales, Mozambique or Gallifrey and you get a vote as long as you're on the electoral roll. Scottish people living in these places don't get a word in edgeways, which is one thing I am extremely angry and concerned about.

Well, you can see why the SNP wouldn't want us to be allowed to vote in it...
Original post by ch0llima

I agree. Even all those Scottish inventors that Scots like to crow so loudly about did quite a lot of discovering, inventing and contributing so much to mankind whilst living abroad, and Scotland would deny them their say in the country that celebrates their existence so passionately.
Original post by Slumpy
Well, you can see why the SNP wouldn't want us to be allowed to vote in it...

Polling indicates that a greater proportion of those in the rest of the UK support Scottish independence compared to those living in Scotland.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 104
Polling indicates that a greater proportion of those in the rest of the UK support Scottish independence compared to those living in Scotland.

But I would be astonished if this extended to people from Scotland living in England. Given a lot of the independence movement does seem to boil down to anti-Englishness, it seems reasonable (to me) that those who can stand living in England are less likely to be pro independence.
Original post by Slumpy
But I would be astonished if this extended to people from Scotland living in England. Given a lot of the independence movement does seem to boil down to anti-Englishness, it seems reasonable (to me) that those who can stand living in England are less likely to be pro independence.

You misunderstand. They did not, exclusively at least, poll Scots living in England.

A representative sample of people living in England and Wales was polled and asked if they supported Scottish independence. Statistically speaking, most people who live in Wales will be Welsh and those in England - well, English.

They then compared it to the answers given by a representative sample of people in Scotland.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
You misunderstand. They did not, exclusively at least, poll Scots living in England.

A representative sample of people living in England and Wales was polled and asked if they supported Scottish independence. Statistically speaking, most people who live in Wales will be Welsh and those in England - well, English.

They then compared it to a representative sample of people in Scotland.

No, I'm totally aware what you were saying. I was only talking about why the SNP wouldn't want Scots in England to be allowed to vote.
Original post by Slumpy
No, I'm totally aware what you were saying. I was only talking about why the SNP wouldn't want Scots in England to be allowed to vote.

Yes, I get your point now. It's probably also why the SNP is opening the vote up to 16 and 17 year olds...
Reply 108
Yes, I get your point now. It's probably also why the SNP is opening the vote up to 16 and 17 year olds...

They are the demographic with the highest support for independence. Approx 40% iirc.
Reply 109
I think it will be in everyone's best interest if we all stay as one country. However it does make me wonder if the Scots go independent they will be classed as a separate EU country to Great Britain. I'm just thinking if this is the case under EU law English students have to be treated equally to Scots so would English be able to study for free there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 110
Original post by add4
I think it will be in everyone's best interest if we all stay as one country. However it does make me wonder if the Scots go independent they will be classed as a separate EU country to Great Britain. I'm just thinking if this is the case under EU law English students have to be treated equally to Scots so would English be able to study for free there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The current stance of the EU is that an independent Scotland wouldn't get automatic membership, but if they later joined, then yes, GB students would have to study for free. Every forecast I've seen thinks Scotland couldn't afford that.
Reply 111
Original post by Slumpy
The current stance of the EU is that an independent Scotland wouldn't get automatic membership, but if they later joined, then yes, GB students would have to study for free. Every forecast I've seen thinks Scotland couldn't afford that.

Or more realistically, no one will get free university education.
Reply 112
Original post by Psyk

Sorry, should've mentioned that I absolutely agree that's what would happen. It's just I seem to recall one of the pro-independence things is about how Scotland will be free education for all etc.
Reply 113
Original post by Psyk

Apparently the "rocks will melt with the sun" before that happens. (c) A. Salmond.

Equally however, this is from the man who said - a month before the leadership election that put him in place to lead the SNP (for a second time) - "if nominated I'll decline; if drafted I'll defer; and if elected I'll resign". :biggrin:
I think it will be a bad thing. Everything Salmond says is refuted by someone else, like the EU membership fiasco. You've got one side saying that we'd be granted automatic membership, however the other side is saying thats not true, it's very confusing. It would be good if we could get some solid facts out there, it seems very blurry to me. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like anyone knows what the plan is.

My biggest worry is that ignoramus that will vote for independence with some sort of braveheart loyalty :facepalm:

i shall be using my vote to tick NO!
Reply 115
Original post by deedee123
I think it will be a bad thing. Everything Salmond says is refuted by someone else, like the EU membership fiasco. You've got one side saying that we'd be granted automatic membership, however the other side is saying thats not true, it's very confusing. It would be good if we could get some solid facts out there, it seems very blurry to me. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem like anyone knows what the plan is.

The chap from the EU said it wouldn't happen that Scotland would get automatic entry, Barroso I think it was. Only the SNP seem to think it would happen.
Original post by Slumpy
The chap from the EU said it wouldn't happen that Scotland would get automatic entry, Barroso I think it was. Only the SNP seem to think it would happen.

well Salmond has made himself look like a right idiot for saying that, is there any hope for us is he doesn't even know what he's talking about!
Reply 117
Original post by deedee123
well Salmond has made himself look like a right idiot for saying that, is there any hope for us is he doesn't even know what he's talking about!

So much of what Salmond says does just make him seem like an idiot. He just gets away with it because all the political talent for the other parties goes to westminster.
Bad, bad and very bad!
And of course Salmond has only a purely economic motive for choosing June 2014 :rolleyes:

Original post by Maths Tutor
What motive does Cameron have for 'celebrating' in 2014 the centenary of the START of a war that killed millions?

(For your information, the Scottish Independence referendum is scheduled for the AUTUMN of 2014.)

I wasn't aware that Cameron was celebrating the start of the war. :rolleyes:

Now that you know, could you find out the motive and post it here?

Do you happen to know precisely what date in autumn?

No I don't, but I know that June is not in the autumn.

Latest

Trending

Trending