Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Get Rid of Monarchy Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we get rid of the monarchy?
    Yes
    41.07%
    No
    58.93%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigers)
    No,he wouldn't be millionaire and all his relatives wouldn't be millionaires with our taxes.He wouldn't be there just because he's the son of the queen.
    He would too be a millionaire. The Prince of Wales and the Queen do not receive state funds for their personal jollies - it goes towards funding the office of Head of State itself, and so would remain under a republic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Office based work is different to hand shaking and banquet hosting I'm sure you'll agree.

As for that ludicrous latter remark, I'm 22 and a final year student. I've worked a full year in industry as part of my degree and have also walked 520 miles for charity off my own back-so don't even think of calling me an ignorant lazy scrounger.
    I never said a word about being a scrounger, but 'ignorant' I'll take up.

I'll humour you for a moment. Supposing your argument that it's a doss and pointless job is accurate. If so, why does every country in the world have a Head of State? Even very young countries created in the last few decades which are overtly republican have created ceremonial presidencies. Are they all just deluded in your mind?

Remarkable how a 22-year-old student can discover what centuries of statecrafters could not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    He would too be a millionaire. The Prince of Wales and the Queen do not receive state funds for their personal jollies - it goes towards funding the office of Head of State itself, and so would remain under a republic.
    Of course not.Royal relatives are all millionaires because they get our taxes.Republics give a president 200,000 at best and only to him(not to all his relatives)

ReputationRep:
    I never said a word about being a scrounger, but 'ignorant' I'll take up.

I'll humour you for a moment. Supposing your argument that it's a doss and pointless job is accurate. If so, why does every country in the world have a Head of State? Even very young countries created in the last few decades which are overtly republican have created ceremonial presidencies. Are they all just deluded in your mind?

Remarkable how a 22-year-old student can discover what centuries of statecrafters could not.
    Not every head of state is ceremonial-just look at France and the USA. A head of state which performs an active role in the running of his/her country is the one I would want. It's not for me to comment on every single country which goes for the ceremonial option.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Of course not.Royal relatives are all millionaires because they get our taxes.Republics give a president 200,000 at best and only to him(not to all his relatives)
    Republic presidents are given a salary. The Queen is not given a salary at all.

Not a bean of public money goes to the royal family for their personal enrichment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite indifferent to whether we're a monarchy or a republic. I think the main question that needs answering is; Would a Republic improve our lives? The answer to that is most likely no, and therefore I don't really see much point in going through the hassle to change systems. I'm also a bit of a sucker for pomp and ceremony.

ReputationRep:
    Republic presidents are given a salary. The Queen is not given a salary at all.

Not a bean of public money goes to the royal family for their personal enrichment.
    yes the queen and her relatives get millions every year from our taxes.How do you think they can pay all those things they buy?With their fail companies that went bankrupt and we had to refund?

ReputationRep:
    Not every head of state is ceremonial-just look at France and the USA. A head of state which performs an active role in the running of his/her country is the one I would want.
    No thanks. The only reason France adopted their present system is because they were so politically unstable that they chose a more authoritarian regime to prevent themselves falling apart. It is actually a far less democratic regime than our own. Their president has the power to enact laws by decree without parliamentary oversight.

It's not for me to comment on every single country which goes for the ceremonial option.
    Actually, clearly you think it is, as you have singularly described every ceremonial Head of State as a great big con. Please share some of your hidden insight.

ReputationRep:
    yes the queen and her relatives get millions every year from our taxes.How do you think they can pay all those things they buy?With their fail companies that went bankrupt and we had to refund?
    Because they are independently wealthy thanks to private investment portfolios. Do pay attention.

If you're so convinced they receive public money for their personal pleasure, please cite a source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    I'm quite indifferent to whether we're a monarchy or a republic. I think the main question that needs answering is; Would a Republic improve our lives? The answer to that is most likely no, and therefore I don't really see much point in going through the hassle to change systems. I'm also a bit of a sucker for pomp and ceremony.
    we could use the money the Royal family takes from our taxes every year to build new hospitals,motorways or to improve them

ReputationRep:
    we could use the money the Royal family takes from our taxes every year to build new hospitals,motorways or to improve them
    You won't save a penny. The cost will go straight into a republican president. Arguably, the cost would increase.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are independently wealthy thanks to private investment portfolios. Do pay attention.

If you're so convinced they receive public money for their personal pleasure, please cite a source.
    their investments money comes from our taxes.It's easy to be rich that way.They get about 30M a year from our pockets.But if Brits are so dumb to be happy with that and to keep paying for Harry's sex parties let them pay

ReputationRep:
    You won't save a penny. The cost will go straight into a republican president. Arguably, the cost would increase.
    No.Obama gets less than 200,000 a year.The Royal family gets about 30M and Obama is the president of a much bigger nation so would pay him 100,000

ReputationRep:
    their investments money comes from our taxes.It's easy to be rich that way.They get about 30M a year from our pockets.But if Brits are so dumb to be happy with that and to keep paying for Harry's sex parties let them pay
    Demonstrate that tax money goes into their portfolios. I think you're making this up.

ReputationRep:
    No.Obama gets less than 200,000 a year.The Royal family gets about 30M and Obama is the president of a much bigger nation so would pay him 100,000
    You idiot. Obama gets less than $200,000 as his salary. The cost of the office of the President is a different order entirely - according to MSN, that's $1.4 billion.

Meanwhile, the Queen (and the rest of the royal family) get no salary.

ReputationRep:
    Demonstrate that tax money goes into their portfolios. I think you're making this up.
    It's on all papers

ReputationRep:
    It's on all papers
    It should be easy for you to provide an example then.

ReputationRep:
    You idiot. Obama gets less than $200,000 as his salary. The cost of the office of the President is a different order entirely - according to MSN, that's $1.4 billion.

Meanwhile, the Queen (and the rest of the royal family) get no salary.
    but we don't build atomic bunkers and space shields.Obama can't afford to buy sports cars while Charles and Harry can with our taxes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Because that's as taxing as a barrister preparing for several court cases? Because that's as taxing as the duties of a construction worker? Because that's as taxing as the work of an engineer?

They're basically glorified lottery winners, no?
    Again, the fact that she does not do heavy manual labour or long hours in an office shifting papers doesn't mean it can't be classified as work. Exactly what part of that are you not getting? The same can be said for other senior royals who do much of the same work.

None of those things are difficult or cumbersome to do.
    Irrelevant.

There are people out there doing the same things alongside their full time work who get no recognition in comparison. Don't get me started on Charles pretending he's a scientist.
    This is such ridiculous "logic" that I'm almost at a loss as to how to respond. The fact that some people do similar things and for free as well as their normal job is besides the point. That has nothing whatsoever to do with the Queen and it certainly doesn't mean that what she does can be described as work any less.
    What she and the other senior royals do is travel around acting as representatives for the country, Some work to promote education and the environment, some like Prince Andrew work to promote business. So how exactly is that not work?
    Prince Charles isn't so much pretending to be a scientist, he's simply working to promote science which is actually important in case you weren't aware. Especially when it's promoting careers of science in young people. But don't let your raging bitterness and jealousy get in the way of that will you.

(Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    I'm sure their work is very stressful, the poor dears. A high-flying firm partner's work is stressful. An engineer on a deadline is stressed and pushed. A doctor's work is taxing and stressful.

The Royalty's work is basically akin to a lottery winner who is bound by some non-arduous duties.
    See above. And you might not think it's arduous but considering the Queen is elderly and yet still has what might be considered a long routine some days I think she might consider it rather arduous and difficult at times.

ReputationRep:
    but we don't build atomic bunkers and space shields.Obama can't afford to buy sports cars while Charles and Harry can with our taxes
    What. The. Diddly. Squat are you talking about?

Does Obama spend the White House budget on atomic bunkers and space shields? I think you'll find that cost is elsewhere, say, oh I dunno, the Department of Defence?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.