Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisG123)
    Does nobody get put off the army by the crap you have to deal with. Constant, unnecessary shouting from someone with a stupid hat; having to change the way you stand when certain people come into a room, basically being treated like crap until you get reach a decent rank.

Or do I just have a very bad interpretation on how it works?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bad representation. It seems like you've been watching way too many american films and have become disconnected to our own army.

Sure when you first start training its tough, but soon as thats finished your off to the field army which is completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macabre)
    Bad representation. It seems like you've been watching way too many american films and have become disconnected to our own army.

Sure when you first start training its tough, but soon as thats finished your off to the field army which is completely different.
    I agree with what you are saying, although I have to disagree about it being tough. - It's not, it's very simple; they tell you to do something and you do it to the best of your ability.

Easy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee R)
    I agree with what you are saying, although I have to disagree about it being tough. - It's not, it's very simple; they tell you to do something and you do it to the best of your ability.

Easy.

Wrong. Very wrong. The training is designed to put you through events where the average person tries to quit, and everyone does. The idea is to force you through extremely exhausting situations that test you both physically and mentally.

My halfway exercise consisted of 3 days in the field testing you on a variety of skills such as camouflage and concealment while also operating as if an actual enemy in the area. On the night of the second day we were put in to two man trenches to observe an fire on the enemy. You had an hour on and an hour off, so no one slept and then after food at 6am in the morning we marched around 2 miles to the enemy position, did a full section (8) man attack and then ran 3 miles to the evac point in full kit.

I collapsed about a mile in evac run through heat exhaustion. So no. Not easy and that was only half way through the training.

ReputationRep:
    Your thinking of a drill seargent and the reason they do that is to break you down and build you back up. As a result you can act better in a life threatening situation. i.e) front line war battles

ReputationRep:
    In the Army you need to be able to make decisions and keep calm in situations of extreme distress and aggravation. The constant shouting is a part of the training to drill and discipline you in this respect and I believe the soldiers are better off going into the field with it than without it.

ReputationRep:
    Gents I'm afraid you're wasting your time - apparently the best way to analyse military training is to never experience it, never see it, never understand it. Instead talk to a couple of people who went through training decades ago and watch Full Metal Jacket and draw your conclusions that way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macabre)
    Wrong. Very wrong. The training is designed to put you through events where the average person tries to quit, and everyone does. The idea is to force you through extremely exhausting situations that test you both physically and mentally.

My halfway exercise consisted of 3 days in the field testing you on a variety of skills such as camouflage and concealment while also operating as if an actual enemy in the area. On the night of the second day we were put in to two man trenches to observe an fire on the enemy. You had an hour on and an hour off, so no one slept and then after food at 6am in the morning we marched around 2 miles to the enemy position, did a full section (8) man attack and then ran 3 miles to the evac point in full kit.

I collapsed about a mile in evac run through heat exhaustion. So no. Not easy and that was only half way through the training.
    Sounds like you did CIC. I've done it all before and I did it through P-Coy. So I'd say I have a good knowledge of how hard it can be, and I'll say it again - it is easy of you're want it hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzee)
    In the Army you need to be able to make decisions and keep calm in situations of extreme distress and aggravation. The constant shouting is a part of the training to drill and discipline you in this respect and I believe the soldiers are better off going into the field with it than without it.
    End of the day, the army need 'Warriors' and everyone has the warrior in them - and it's the Army's job to bring this warrior out in you to and make you a better soldier. They need you to be a strong not just physically, but mentally too.

I agree with what you're saying

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.