Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Purely hypothetical, if WIII occured, what country would most likely start it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    *sigh*

OP spelt WWIII as WII which is the same as wii in lower case, a console invented in Japan so the joke was that only Japan could make a Nintendo Wii 3 i.e Wiii.
    Oh. :cool: Didn't realize that. Good pun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tohaaaa)
    Just wondering what all your opinions are. (As the question states above)

(Not sure if they're any other topics like this, if there are please excuse me, but I couldn't find any using search)

My opinion: North Korea

Why: Tensions are already soaring between DPRK and USA, and soon enough one side or the other will do something to annoy the other (e.g. test nukes).

Aye, North Korea seems quite the combatant They have the highest percentage of the total population in the military out of all countries. Also, they are suspected of having 10+ nukes but mat have a lot more. and due to their location, they can remote-launch a nuke on anywhere in the USA, Asia and most of Russia. While Europe is safe

Nuking Korea back would be relatively hard due to their small landmass and double sided coast line; airgo nukes sent to North Korea would most likely hit the ocean.

And if you've seen the Vice documentary on "Iside North Korea" you know it looks like a spooky place, like where the hell is everyone? maybe they've got a load of hidden training camps that 90% of the population attend. Cuz that documentary showed all kinds of hotels and restaurants with absolutely No one except for the staff inside.

ReputationRep:
    The USA simply because they always seem to be in some sort of war so statistically speaking it will be them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gijops)
    Aye, North Korea seems quite the combatant They have the highest percentage of the total population in the military out of all countries. Also, they are suspected of having 10+ nukes but mat have a lot more. and due to their location, they can remote-launch a nuke on anywhere in the USA, Asia and most of Russia. While Europe is safe

Nuking Korea back would be relatively hard due to their small landmass and double sided coast line; airgo nukes sent to North Korea would most likely hit the ocean.

And if you've seen the Vice documentary on "Iside North Korea" you know it looks like a spooky place, like where the hell is everyone? maybe they've got a load of hidden training camps that 90% of the population attend. Cuz that documentary showed all kinds of hotels and restaurants with absolutely No one except for the staff inside.
    How is Europe Safe from a nuclear attack?

Also, where did you see that documentary?? I might watch it.

ReputationRep:
    How is Europe Safe from a nuclear attack?

Also, where did you see that documentary?? I might watch it.
    Here's part 1:

as for why Europe is safe: Nuclear missiles today can't be dropped from an airplane like in WWII due to the advanced anti-aircraft technologies. They need to be launched from a pad so they fly to their target rather than being dropped on it. The maximum range a nuke can fly for is 6 or 7 thousand miles which is like half the distance from Europe to Korea.

ReputationRep:
    Here's part 1:

as for why Europe is safe: Nuclear missiles today can't be dropped from an airplane like in WWII due to the advanced anti-aircraft technologies. They need to be launched from a pad so they fly to their target rather than being dropped on it. The maximum range a nuke can fly for is 6 or 7 thousand miles which is like half the distance from Europe to Korea.
    Great, thanks I'll make sure to watch it

But surely Europe is NOT safe, since it's in the range. How is USA not safe if it's further away?

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks I'll make sure to watch it

But surely Europe is NOT safe, since it's in the range. How is USA not safe if it's further away?
    No, I mean the USA is in range of North Korea, as it's just across the north Pacific; a distance of 4,000 miles. But the distance from north Korea to the UK is about 11,000 miles

ReputationRep:
    No, I mean the USA is in range of North Korea, as it's just across the north Pacific; a distance of 4,000 miles. But the distance from north Korea to the UK is about 11,000 miles
    Actually the shortest distance following a great circle from North Korea to the top of Scotland is around 4,600 miles, which is about the same as that from North Korea to Seattle. If the American mainland were in range, the UK would be too.

Still, I think we're fairly safe - if only for the reason that China and Russia have no desire to get involved in a war and would shoot the missile down before it got anywhere near us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    Actually the shortest distance following a great circle from North Korea to the top of Scotland is around 4,600 miles, which is about the same as that from North Korea to Seattle. If the American mainland were in range, the UK would be too.

Still, I think we're fairly safe - if only for the reason that China and Russia have no desire to get involved in a war and would shoot the missile down before it got anywhere near us.
    touche :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bssjonny)
    Wales. I just know they're up to something.
    Why do you think we have been hoarding sheep?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.