Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooIntelligent)
    Let me defend the point for him then. Why the hell would you apply to an institute which is requesting for A*A*A when you could go to a much finer, prestigious institute like Imperial? It is not exactly something worthy of being a "backup" or insurance choice. Yes you can apply to five universities, but what is the point in applying to one which you probably will only go if you get rejected from Oxbridge/Imperial which requires extremely high grades for a comparatively mediocre course/teaching?
    You already answered your question yourself.

Because you could be rejected by Cambridge and Imperial!!! That is why it is not dumb to apply to Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LutherVan)
    You already answered your question yourself.

Because you could be rejected by Cambridge and Imperial!!! That is why it is not dumb to apply to Manchester.
    Stop twisting my words please. Troll. Read what I put after that sentence.

You ARE stupid if you apply to Manchester for Physics.... Gosh.

ReputationRep:
    I never said ' it's all the same ', I am just highlighting that it is quite stupid to say people are dumb for applying to Manchester when it requests A*AA. It is not like if they have only one application choice. And you are pretty much struggling to defend that logic.
    what ' logic ' are you referring to ?

ReputationRep:
    Let me defend the point for him then. Why the hell would you apply to an institute which is requesting for A*A*A when you could go to a much finer, prestigious institute like Imperial? It is not exactly something worthy of being a "backup" or insurance choice. Yes you can apply to five universities, but what is the point in applying to one which you probably will only go if you get rejected from Oxbridge/Imperial which requires extremely high grades for a comparatively mediocre course/teaching?

You'd better frame it as an either or he will chicken out with the semantabation BS and say ' eooow I can apply to all three '.

ReputationRep:
    Stop twisting my words please. Troll. Read what I put after that sentence.

I am twisting your words?

How? What did I change or twist?

Cut the BS! You just are not intelligent enough to comprehend the logic of your argument.

Here is the lesson: A student might hope to go to Cambridge or imperial. The student has 5 choices. The student uses 2 for these choices. They still have 3, how they distribute the 3 is mutually exclusive from the other 2. So using one to apply to University of Bolton which is asking for 8A* does not make them "dumb because with those grades they could have gone to Cambridge or Imperial".

I know you still would not get it. I can place a bet on it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbkey)
    These debates is further "proof" that many consider the higher education system in the UK to consist of only Oxbridge and the rest.

If someone were to ask, "should I attend Oxbridge or x", the majority of responses will be Oxbridge.

Conversely if the queston was, "should I attend uni y or uni z", even if y is "clearly better" than z, the result wil be 50/50.
    Oxbridge or LSE for economics = LSE

Oxbridge or Imperial for Engineering/Physics = Imperial

Oxbridge or Imperial/Ucl for Medicine = Par on Par. A lot of 'oxbridge' students apply to imperial for their clinical years. (not that rankings even matter in medicine imho)

Dentistry = Oxbridge does not do it.

But yes, you're right. A lot of people assume oxbridge for anything. That's going to change soon though.

ReputationRep:
    I am twisting your words?

How? What did I change or twist?

Cut the BS! You just are not intelligent enough to comprehend the logic of your argument.

Here is the lesson: A student might hope to go to Cambridge or imperial. The student has 5 choices. The student uses 2 for these choices. They still have 3, how they distribute the 3 is mutually exclusive from the other 2. So using one to apply to University of Bolton which is asking for 8A* does not make them "dumb because with those grades they could have gone to Cambridge or Imperial".

I know you still would not get it. I can place a bet on it!

Yes you are.

That's all you got and your shame of Manchester disguised as feigned ignorance is really wearing thin and reveals exactly what you think about UoM.

So it is YOU that needs to cut the BS

ReputationRep:
    You are joking right? Manchester is top 50 in the world

You seem to be the type that would only be interested in league tables.

Source: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u.../world-ranking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.