Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Is anyone else extremely confused by the sequence of events resulting in the two rapists getting away with no trouble at all?

So the girl stupidly goes upstairs with the two guys. Her friend then comes up and sees she is being raped. She tells three passengers downstairs, including two men, who help the girls upstairs. Then the article finishes with:

So what exactly happened in between the passengers helping the girls and these two guys being ejected for a completely different reason than the rape? Did the passengers not confront the rapists? Did they not realise those two had raped the girl? Why did the bus driver force them off and why was it for an unrelated incident? So rape is ok but not "unruly behaviour"?

Just speculating, but maybe the girl was in hysterics and wasn't able to properly communicate what had happened until she was off the bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Just speculating, but maybe the girl was in hysterics and wasn't able to properly communicate what had happened until she was off the bus?
    The rapists were ejected two hours after the rape - so we'd have to assume that neither of the girls managed to say the word "rape" or point to the two men in that time.

Moreover, the passengers who went upstairs to help surely saw the two suspects up there or saw them coming down before they went up. Either way, it must have been pretty damn obvious and therefore they should have restrained them on the bus, or at least tried to. There is no mention of any sort of contact or resistance toward these suspects. It's very odd; I can only assume the BBC did not get the full story.

ReputationRep:
    What concerns me the most is the fact that any people on this post are talking about the fact that the rapist was murdered and how wrong it is to stigmatize a nation, the fact is a young girl was raped on a public bus. The more concerning issue from my point of view is the society we live in. It's the 21st century yet men still think it's OK to inflict unwilling sexual acts upon young girls. It's not segregated to just young girls and not even just men but it's still a growing issue.

ReputationRep:
    The rapists were ejected two hours after the rape - so we'd have to assume that neither of the girls managed to say the word "rape" or point to the two men in that time.

Moreover, the passengers who went upstairs to help surely saw the two suspects up there or saw them coming down before they went up. Either way, it must have been pretty damn obvious and therefore they should have restrained them on the bus, or at least tried to. There is no mention of any sort of contact or resistance toward these suspects. It's very odd; I can only assume the BBC did not get the full story.
    Yea it is all very odd.
    I don't understand how they were ejected 2 hours later.
    The girls got on the 57 at Silverburn "around 10.30" and were heading to Darnley, so according to the timetable, that must have been at 10.18, the last stop on that route is the city centre on Holland Street at 11.07, which is only 50 minutes later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_White)
    What concerns me the most is the fact that any people on this post are talking about the fact that the rapist was murdered
    What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    Why did she go up to the top deck on her own also don't most buses have CCTV its a sad state of a country when a young girl gets raped on a bus.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sick reading this poor girl...the men must be captured and beaten to a pulp!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    Yea it is all very odd.
    I don't understand how they were ejected 2 hours later.
    The girls got on the 57 at Silverburn "around 10.30" and were heading to Darnley, so according to the timetable, that must have been at 10.18, the last stop on that route is the city centre on Holland Street at 11.07, which is only 50 minutes later.
    Ah right, the passengers and the girls got off two stops after the rape occurred, so it must have just been the driver and the two rapists left from then until 00:30. However, that still doesn't explain why the passengers didn't confront the two suspects (and inform the driver) in the time between being told by the girl that her friend is being raped and getting off the bus with the girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilmissshady)
    I feel sick reading this poor girl...the men must be captured and beaten to a pulp!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why should they be beaten?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    You are so ignorant and easily influenced by the media.
    Indian men do not rape women more thanUK men.
    It is a fact, Indian is more conservative than UK and hence Indian culture does not sexualise women and children in the same extend as the west.

You see harassment every day from work men wolf whistling at women on their way to work.

All these stories about a rape and harassment you been hearing is just done to blacken the countries name. It has 1.2 billion people so it will have more cases compared to the UK.
    What are we classing as rape? Apparently the definition of rape varies between cultures.

(Original post by MattKneale)
    This is true; it's called mitigating your risk. Absolutely we need to deter and punish rapists to an extreme, but that needs to be alongside being sensible to minimise the risk to you regardless of the absolute risk.

It's like going out driving and not using your mirrors because you trust that others will drive safely. You need to minimise risk by using them because ultimately some people do not drive safely, and it might be up to you to stop the accident happening.

No I'm not victim blaming, before anybody brings that up.
    I agree, I completely believe that rape is wrong but it makes sense to accept there will always be bad people who will do bad things. My friend is a massive pioneer of women's rights and I get that but nobody is condoning rape, her marching round the streets protesting against rape and saying "yes means yes, no means no" is NOT going to stop it so it makes sense to try and be safe. A woman in Leeds was raped down a little back alley after moving away from the main roads on a night out because she felt threatened by someone, to me that seems crazy.

(Original post by MattKneale)
    No CCTV on the bus, but I'm amazed the 'two men and a woman' let them get away. Why didn't the bus driver lock the doors?
    There's a button that overrides the locks for peoples safety.

Oh dear Lord we have a Daily Fail reader...

(Original post by ssxx)
    You mean like rape?:rolleyes: please stop making a fool out of yourself.
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    so they never lay a finger on another helpless female ever again...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Surprising how i see lots playing with their mobile phone nowadays, like it is a limb, yet when it comes to using it for something useful like calling the police when someone has been raped they forget the main purpose of a phone. Idiots.

Weird story. Poor girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssxx)
    I'm really mad therefore my reactions are not purely rational atm so please don't make a point out of that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, the passengers and the girls got off two stops after the rape occurred, so it must have just been the driver and the two rapists left from then until 00:30. However, that still doesn't explain why the passengers didn't confront the two suspects (and inform the driver) in the time between being told by the girl that her friend is being raped and getting off the bus with the girls.
    And still doesn't explain why the guys were still on the bus until 00.30 when the last stop is at 23.07.
    :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe_White)
    What concerns me the most is the fact that any people on this post are talking about the fact that the rapist was murdered and how wrong it is to stigmatize a nation, the fact is a young girl was raped on a public bus. The more concerning issue from my point of view is the society we live in. It's the 21st century yet men still think it's OK to inflict unwilling sexual acts upon young girls. It's not segregated to just young girls and not even just men but it's still a growing issue.
    No, we do not. Everybody knows rape is as OK as murder. Whether somebody cares or not whether it is okay is down to their personality and their capability - not their gender.

ReputationRep:
    That is just your personal experience. On average, most 14 year-olds are not allowed out that late at night on their own, especially out and about on public transport. If they were, we'd be hearing about these rapes and similar crimes every single day.
    But what you have to understand is that though you haven't experienced it yourself, it does goes on a lot. Like I said, you have no idea. I imagine in every working class state school kids are out late at night. It's so not shocking that 14 year olds were taking the last bus home. There are so many awful parents out there. But also, don't be so cynical, buses generally are safe at night. I was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Surprising how i see lots playing with their mobile phone nowadays, like it is a limb, yet when it comes to using it for something useful like calling the police when someone has been raped they forget the main purpose of a phone. Idiots.

Weird story. Poor girl.
    So, so true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    But what you have to understand is that though you haven't experienced it yourself, it does goes on a lot. Like I said, you have no idea. I imagine in every working class state school kids are out late at night. It's so not shocking that 14 year olds were taking the last bus home. There are so many awful parents out there. But also, don't be so cynical, buses generally are safe at night. I was fine.
    Equally, though you haven't experienced it yourself, a lot of 14 year-old kids are not allowed out at that time. Like I said, if it was the case that MOST 14 year-old kids were out on public transport at that time, the number of incidents would be much higher.

ReputationRep:
    What race were they?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, just read the article. In a place like Glasgow (99% white) with no mention of race, they're white.

Prejudice - Retreat, retreat!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.