Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberryyums)
    I don't like sleeping with the sirens. The voice of the singer sounds like he is pooping from his nose. I really can't stand them.
    Really?? How... That doesn't even make sense to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pitbull
    Example
    Olly Murs
    Take That
    Any heavy metal/screamo stuff
    The majority of Indie artists. Their fans are also mainly stuck up hipster wannabes who think they're 1000 times better than anyone else, which doesn't help either
    Cheryl Cole/Girls Aloud

ReputationRep:
    Lana Del "bores me to tears" Ray. She just drones on and on and cannot sing.

Rihanna because she can't sing and she's stupid, slutty and annoying.

ReputationRep:
    U2 / Bono.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how people can hate metal. It is far too big a genre for anyone to conclude they hate it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermitthefrog)
    I didn't neg you, but insulting Liam Gallagher is neg-worthy IMO. He is ****ing brilliant. Very talented in his own right (Not, as some claim, 'lucky to have such a talented brother')
    Yes, Liam would be absolutely nothing without Noel. And you can't deny that he is still a ******** even if you do think he is musically amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    I don't understand how people can hate metal. It is far too big a genre for anyone to conclude they hate it all.
    Agree, and I think the same with Hip-Hop.

Some people who think they hate it though (metal) just don't have any knowledge of it and think it's all really hardcore, screaming stuff, as I used to. You also get snobs who just don't want to listen to certain types of music purely because of the image associated with it, or it doesn't fit with their own image so they won't even give it a chance as their minds are already made up.

I've noticed this a lot with older people but it's not exclusive to them, the types of people who think 'real' music has to be rock music and that all rappers are untalented thugs talking about guns.

You see it with Dubstep these days as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Agree, and I think the same with Hip-Hop.

Some people who think they hate it though (metal) just don't have any knowledge of it and think it's all really hardcore, screaming stuff, as I used to. You also get snobs who just don't want to listen to certain types of music purely because of the image associated with it, or it doesn't fit with their own image so they won't even give it a chance as their minds are already made up.

I've noticed this a lot with older people but it's not exclusive to them, the types of people who think 'real' music has to be rock music and that all rappers are untalented thugs talking about guns.

You see it with Dubstep these days as well.
    Yeah quite simply you can find great stuff in all genres of music.

Initially I couldn't listen to any band that had screaming (or anything like it) but I always kept going back and listening to it. Just because I wanted to know what people were hearing that I wasn't.

I can understand why people initially don't like a certain genre of music. Ruling a whole style of music out however just limits people from possibly finding something brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    The Saturdays. Eugh. They're all awful singers and none of their songs are catchy at all. (Which granted, I'm not a fan of Girls Aloud or the Spice Girls either...but at least they had the odd catchy song!) I get the whole girl band. I can see its appeal, though I'm not a fan of it myself, but I really don't see any attraction to the bland Saturdays.

Kesha. Again, I can see why pop singers like Rhianna and Beyonce and Lady Gaga can be viewed by some audiences as entertaining. Kesha, however, to me, shouts and talks through her songs, none of which are even remotely catchy. She just seems a train wreck of a person.

Nicki Minaj. Pretty much the same argument as above. In fact, Nicki is probably even more annoying than Kesha. I would usually admire that she was trying to be different but the whole electro voice over and over and over again on every single song is just irritating and its not like it adds anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orenjichan)
    Really?? How... That doesn't even make sense to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The singer is horrible. He doesn't have a voice. He sings with his nose. And it sounds like sh*t And thats definitely not post-hardcore to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    I'm surprised no one has said Rebecca Black :shock:
    Not sure she counts as a singer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    I'm sorry but what idiots negged me? Please state how I was wrong about any of them.
    heavy metal is fantastic - listen to the likes of iron maiden properly then tell me otherwise!

EDIT: just seen your earlier comment, fair point about death metal i think its ok personally but not as good as heavy metal

ReputationRep:
    I despise k-pop in general.

ReputationRep:
    The singer is horrible. He doesn't have a voice. He sings with his nose. And it sounds like sh*t And thats definitely not post-hardcore to me.
    Ok I understand the not being post hardcore bit... Especially now since their albums softened. But kellins voice, really? I always admired what he can do with it. Maybe you're thinking of a different band... Vic from pierce the veil seems to strain his voice in a weird manner for some songs and those two bands are really close so maybe you mean them
    Edit: this is what I mean http://youtube.com/watch?v=FZVYOriINwc but don't get me wrong i like them aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok I understand the not being post hardcore bit... Especially now since their albums softened. But kellins voice, really? I always admired what he can do with it. Maybe you're thinking of a different band... Vic from pierce the veil seems to strain his voice in a weird manner for some songs and those two bands are really close so maybe you mean them
    Edit: this is what I mean http://youtube.com/watch?v=FZVYOriINwc but don't get me wrong i like them aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
    To be honest, I do like the emotion in Kellin's voice in Roger Rabbit but thats just it. And I have these two friends who obsess over SWS and PTV. I can't stand PTV even more. He strains a bit too much. Especially in "Stay away from my friends". Some bands, the singers just kill the whole thing, and not in a good way. I think the reason I probably really can't stand them is the obsession people have for them when they aren't really all that. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I do like the emotion in Kellin's voice in Roger Rabbit but thats just it. And I have these two friends who obsess over SWS and PTV. I can't stand PTV even more. He strains a bit too much. Especially in "Stay away from my friends". Some bands, the singers just kill the whole thing, and not in a good way. I think the reason I probably really can't stand them is the obsession people have for them when they aren't really all that. :erm:
    Okay I kinda understand... Just the bit about singing through his nose o.O I think sometimes the fact that so many people obsess over certain people makes them disliked just because the fans are annoying xD I have a friend who started obsessing over Rita Ora to the extreme and the fact that she doesn't shut up about her makes me not like Rita and be meh without even listening to her much But I'm sure people think that way when i talk about SWS or PTV (not as obsessed as my friend though) so that's just the way the world works...the most obvious example being 1ders and beliebers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the most obvious example being 1ders and beliebers
    That line said it all.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think it's possible to seriously like Nicki Minaj's music, well the songs people write for her anyway, and she looks like a melted wellington boot. Enough said

ReputationRep:
    Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga

oh and Chris Brown obviously.

ReputationRep:
    People really like to hate, huh? This thread is going strong.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.