Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrMeredithGrey)
    Does anyone know exactly how section B is marked? My first two texts were quite strong and relevant to the question, but my third text didn't go well atall :/ To get an A do you have to be very strong on all texts?
    I think if two are strong and the other is weaker you can still get an A, that's what my English teacher told my class anyway. As long as you got a few points in for your third text you are probably still in with a chance for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly9595)
    How did everyone find it?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the Section B questions were pretty nice, I did the one on country=wholesome versus town=morally corrupt. For Section A I thought the Tess question looked pretty horrible but thankfully the AYLI one was good
    I majorly screwed up on timing though aha, I did Section B first and spent 1 hour 25 mins on it and wrote 5 pages, then only had 35 mins left for Section A and wrote 2 pages... I don't know that I would actually have had that much more to write on AYLI though to be honest so I don't really regret it too much
    Did anyone else on here do the AYLI question??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamsherlocked)
    I thought the Section B questions were pretty nice, I did the one on country=wholesome versus town=morally corrupt. For Section A I thought the Tess question looked pretty horrible but thankfully the AYLI one was good
    I majorly screwed up on timing though aha, I did Section B first and spent 1 hour 25 mins on it and wrote 5 pages, then only had 35 mins left for Section A and wrote 2 pages... I don't know that I would actually have had that much more to write on AYLI though to be honest so I don't really regret it too much
    Did anyone else on here do the AYLI question??
    I did the exact same questions as you! What texts did you use? I did blake AYLI and Tess for the part B... hadn't been planning to use Tess so I had barely any quotes.. hope I made up for it in the other two though. What points did you make for both questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by octoberbaby)
    I did the exact same questions as you! What texts did you use? I did blake AYLI and Tess for the part B... hadn't been planning to use Tess so I had barely any quotes.. hope I made up for it in the other two though. What points did you make for both questions?
    For Section B I did AYLI Tess and Brideshead. For AYLI I talked about court is morally corrupt 'painted pomp' superficial society where people are conspriring against each other, lots of conflict eg wrestling. whereas forest is wholesome, Corin says "I envy no man" which contrasts with "the envious court". Oliver and Frederick are converted into better people when they enter the Forest hence highlighting the contrast between the wholesome and corrupt ways of life.
    For Tess I said country life can be seen as wholesome and good, quoted "Latterly he had seen only Life, unwarped untrammelled..." and analysed that quote a bit. Then got a bit stuck couldn't think of how else to illustrate country life being wholesome and good!! Obviously it is but I just couldn't think of anything specific to illustrate it :rolleyes: So then I said some elements of country life which are not wholesome, Jack Durbeyfield's excessive drinking, and banged on about that for a bit. But then said that is not as bad in comparison to town life as drinking is a far graver problem at Chaseborough, and I said that this illustrated Hardy's views of urbanisation as corrupting the wholesome countryside and then made a brief point about Alec's house being symbolic of the corrupting urban influence.
    You don't study Brideshead, right? ...basically for Brideshead I banged on a bit about excessive drinking and prostitution, but the drinking isn't confined to the town settings, in Brideshead it's not so much urban versus rural as tradition vs modernity so different town settings will represent these different values.

For the AYLI question... I only wrote just over 2 sides ahaa as I didn't have much time. First I did a long-ish paragraph on how the courtiers can be seen to be 're-creating the Golden Age' - did a lot of analysis of the quote "Hath not old custom made this life more sweet than that of painted pomp", and talked about how they are referred to as living "like the old Robin Hood of England" and the values which this can be seen to represent.
    Then I did a short-ish paragraph on why it may not be a 'pastoral idyll' for the courtiers - the presence of the lion and the snake in the forest which attack Orlando and Oliver indicates that it is not really so "free from peril" as the Duke claims it to be. A 'pastoral idyll' is a place which is perfect and free, the lion and snake undermine this therefore it cannot be seen an idyll. ...However this is one isolated incident of peril in the forest, in comparison to all that which there is at the court...a 'pastoral idyll' can also be defined as a place of refuge, therefore Arden can be seen as an idyll for the courtiers as it is refuge from the peril and conflict of the court.
    Then final short paragraph on how it is not an idyll for those who actually live there permanently - the bit where Corin says that he "is shepherd to another man of churlish disposition", so it's not an idyll for Corin, and I related this to social context of reality of life for shepherds. I really could have done with more development of this...but had to rush a conclusion as only had a few mins left! Tbh I'm not sure what more I could have said really... I concluded that it's a pastoral idyll for the courtier characters but not for those who are 'native' to the Forest.

What about you, what did you talk about in your essays??

ReputationRep:
    Hiii

I'm doing Tess, AYLI and poetry! So pleased there is a thread for this now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blww95)
    Hiii

Im also doing the same! Which poets?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dooobie_)
    Im also doing the same! Which poets?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by blww95)
    Hiii

Heya! I'm doing Tess, She Stoops to Conquer and I'm focussing on Marvell, Wordsworth and Grey for poetry. I'm really freaking out about this exam, there seems to be a history for people getting really low marks in it

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing water land????

need quotes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 3, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.