The Student Room Group

ENGB3 AQA 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I'm seriously going to cry if there's not a reading question and judging from the fact there was one in January there probably won't be :frown: reading questions are the only ones I get A*s in! Not touching writing and ugh if change is a dictionary entry ill walk
Reply 101
Has anybody only revised speech and not reading or writing?
Reply 102
Original post by Francis W
Has anybody only revised speech and not reading or writing?

Ive primarily done speech with a bit of reading, am continueing to go back over reading now in case AQA want to catch us out. Have you not been taught reading? My teacher has assured me speech WILL come up, it is in every single past paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
Has anyone been going over notes from last year? I know this exam may be very synoptic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Original post by Jade10128
Has anyone been going over notes from last year? I know this exam may be very synoptic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a little bit, mainly on gender. But I read in some of the examiner's reports that AS references can be used, but you have to mainly include A2. So just use AS notes to reinforce a point I think?
Reply 105
Can I just make sure there is ALWAYS a speech question as I've only revised speech and a little reading. Not touched writing or reading in enough detail and I need an A/A* x
whats the difference between the reading and writing texts?
Reply 107
Original post by stephieg24
whats the difference between the reading and writing texts?

In the reading ones they normally give a transcript of the child reading it and a copy of the book they read from. Look at how the text has been designed to help understanding, as well as looking at the areas that the child can read well and those they cannot - giving reasons for why it might be the case.

In the writing texts it'll probably be 1 or 2 samples of their writings, perhaps with different genres. Look at things such as the type of words they've written (nouns, adjectives, etc.) and link it to studies if you can. But again, give reasons why they may have written this way.
Reply 108
Ps what is needed out of 400 to get an A*?
Reply 109
Our teacher told us there would always be a transcript, so I've only prepared for acquisition of speech! She's a bit all over the place though so I'm a little worried she could be wrong, I have no idea what I'd do as I haven't done anything on reading or writing and couldn't name a single theorist. Does anyone know the AO1/AO2/AO3 breakdown?
Reply 110
Ive primarily done speech with a bit of reading, am continueing to go back over reading now in case AQA want to catch us out. Have you not been taught reading? My teacher has assured me speech WILL come up, it is in every single past paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have been, sort of - I didn't really pay any attention though because I'd decided I'd given up on trying to deal with anything to do with acquisition. Reading seems to be only to do with different phonics approaches and contextual things about the reading process - that's all I can seem to grasp from the powerpoints that my teachers have made. What else have you been taught about to do with it?
Reply 111
We have been, sort of - I didn't really pay any attention though because I'd decided I'd given up on trying to deal with anything to do with acquisition. Reading seems to be only to do with different phonics approaches and contextual things about the reading process - that's all I can seem to grasp from the powerpoints that my teachers have made. What else have you been taught about to do with it?

Don't worry about it - I only did 2 lessons on it. I have just finished going over it so I have a back up.
But like someone else pointed out further up on the thread this paper:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENGB3-W-DB-JAN11.PDF featured aspects of reading and speech; so a synoptic link would get the top marks I think.
Yeah to summarise some of my notes on reading:

Approaches to reading -
phonics
"look and say" (whole word approach)
psycholinguistics approach

Cues are "the strategies used to help decode written texts successfully"
Types of reading cues - Graphophonic, semantic, visual, syntactic, contextual and miscue

If you have the AQA endorsed book it is much more helpful..the CGP book only has one double spread and completely misses out the cues (which are one of the most important thing IMO of developing reading)
Was there anything you needed to know specifically you feel is missing from your notes/powerpoint?
Reply 112
Original post by anniele
Our teacher told us there would always be a transcript, so I've only prepared for acquisition of speech! She's a bit all over the place though so I'm a little worried she could be wrong, I have no idea what I'd do as I haven't done anything on reading or writing and couldn't name a single theorist. Does anyone know the AO1/AO2/AO3 breakdown?

I think most English teachers are all over the place (mine certainly is) lol!
To summarise the AO's (someone correct me if wrong)
A01 - Terminology
A02 - Concepts/theories
A03 - Context, context, context!
Reply 113
Don't worry about it - I only did 2 lessons on it. I have just finished going over it so I have a back up.
But like someone else pointed out further up on the thread this paper:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENGB3-W-DB-JAN11.PDF featured aspects of reading and speech; so a synoptic link would get the top marks I think.
Yeah to summarise some of my notes on reading:

Approaches to reading -
phonics
"look and say" (whole word approach)
psycholinguistics approach

Cues are "the strategies used to help decode written texts successfully"
Types of reading cues - Graphophonic, semantic, visual, syntactic, contextual and miscue

If you have the AQA endorsed book it is much more helpful..the CGP book only has one double spread and completely misses out the cues (which are one of the most important thing IMO of developing reading)
Was there anything you needed to know specifically you feel is missing from your notes/powerpoint?

Thanks for that, it's helpful. No, not particularly, I think that covers everything 'cause I don't think any question with a speech & reading focus is going to want a *huge* amount on reading and would look for more speech analysis. I remember making notes on that text with Jake and his parents and my teacher said what I'd got was pretty good and that was before I'd looked at reading, so I don't think your response would have to be too reading-heavy. If I'm wrong and they want loads then I'll sound very stupid.
Reply 114
Thanks for that, it's helpful. No, not particularly, I think that covers everything 'cause I don't think any question with a speech & reading focus is going to want a *huge* amount on reading and would look for more speech analysis. I remember making notes on that text with Jake and his parents and my teacher said what I'd got was pretty good and that was before I'd looked at reading, so I don't think your response would have to be too reading-heavy. If I'm wrong and they want loads then I'll sound very stupid.

That's alright. No I agree fully with you, would just give some extra marks. Speech will come up - good luck :smile:
Reply 115
I think most English teachers are all over the place (mine certainly is) lol!
To summarise the AO's (someone correct me if wrong)
A01 - Terminology
A02 - Concepts/theories
A03 - Context, context, context!

Hahah I'm worried about trusting what she's told us as she constantly mixed up linguists and their theories, is it 'Neilson' who said the majority of first words referred to family/social interaction etc? (I didn't know whether she misspelt Nelson or if it's another theorist!)

Ah thank you, don't suppose you know if the breakdown of marks is 8 - 16 - 24 or 8 - 24 -16?
Reply 116
Do you find that 15 mins planning is enough time? I often go over that! :frown:
Reply 117
Original post by anniele
Hahah I'm worried about trusting what she's told us as she constantly mixed up linguists and their theories, is it 'Neilson' who said the majority of first words referred to family/social interaction etc? (I didn't know whether she misspelt Nelson or if it's another theorist!)

Ah thank you, don't suppose you know if the breakdown of marks is 8 - 16 - 24 or 8 - 24 -16?

Haha its Nelson (1973) that classified the first fifty words produced by children into five categories: objects, specific objects, actions/events etc. Objects were the most common as they related to things the children could touch.
Hallidays taxonomys (1975) identified childrens language has a range of functions (7 in total)

No I don't - sorry. The spec can be found here and may explain better: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2705-W-SP-10.PDF
Reply 118
Original post by anniele

ah thank you, don't suppose you know if the breakdown of marks is 8 - 16 - 24 or 8 - 24 -16?

ao1 - 24
ao2 - 16
ao3 - 8
Reply 119
Praying for a spoken text for language acquisition tomorrow and a language change question that compares a text from the 18th century to a 20th century one... That would be ideal :')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending