Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey26)
    There is no age limit. I work in one of the strictest supermarket chains (won't name) who has ID on EVERYTHING! But there is absolutely nothing on energy drinks. No limits.
    There's certainly nothing on self checkouts - should know since most times I go I buy enough to kill me (literally. Though if I'm not mistaken there are limits on how many boxes of proplus you can buy in one go, odd.)

The most ridiculous one that I've had was when I was with my mother (clearly over 40, never mind challenge 25) was asked for ID. I assumed that they wanted mine and showed it, the cashier asked again for my mother's (probably early twenties cashier) she'd never been ID'd since her mid twenties and only has a passport and paper driving licence. The cashier then had a rant at her about how it wasn't difficult to carry a driving licence card (which she doesn't have).
    I just took the wine and put it through self service.

Not fussed about being ID'd, will usually make an off the cuff 'reminds me I'm young and beautiful comment', it's always the snarky attitudes some (not all) cashiers have if you're not quick enough or have forgotten it and not realised or they're IDing you for something ridiculous that gets me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaterfrontWAR)
    There's certainly nothing on self checkouts - should know since most times I go I buy enough to kill me (literally. Though if I'm not mistaken there are limits on how many boxes of proplus you can buy in one go, odd.)

The most ridiculous one that I've had was when I was with my mother (clearly over 40, never mind challenge 25) was asked for ID. I assumed that they wanted mine and showed it, the cashier asked again for my mother's (probably early twenties cashier) she'd never been ID'd since her mid twenties and only has a passport and paper driving licence. The cashier then had a rant at her about how it wasn't difficult to carry a driving licence card (which she doesn't have).
    I just took the wine and put it through self service.

Not fussed about being ID'd, will usually make an off the cuff 'reminds me I'm young and beautiful comment', it's always the snarky attitudes some (not all) cashiers have if you're not quick enough or have forgotten it and not realised or they're IDing you for something ridiculous that gets me.
    That's ridiculous about your Mum, I wouldn't have ID's either of you if she looked about 40 and it was clearly her buying it. And I agree, I'm always really nice about it when I ID people - no point being rude!

ReputationRep:
    There is no age limit. I work in one of the strictest supermarket chains (won't name) who has ID on EVERYTHING! But there is absolutely nothing on energy drinks. No limits.
    Interesting.

Why does it say on energy drink cans that its unsuitable for children and pregnant women.

Also, in a pound store I saw a sign that says you have to be 16 to buy energy drinks.

Never knew though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Interesting.

Why does it say on energy drink cans that its unsuitable for children and pregnant women.

Also, in a pound store I saw a sign that says you have to be 16 to buy energy drinks.

Never knew though.
    Been ID'd in WHSmith before for an energy drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    Been ID'd in WHSmith before for an energy drink.
    That's where my original story of buying it when I was 12 happened. Maybe they just liked me

ReputationRep:
    BTW, the customer returned today, just showed me her ID and left immediately.

I told her that there at least 6 other people working different shifts.

She was so bloody rude. I didn't assault her, or provoke her and yet she tries and proves a point.

Very contradictive girl. I don't get why this person can't go to store(s) just across the road. They sell the same cigarettes at a cheaper price.

Won't be happy to serve this customer in the near future. Will take a lot to change my mind. She was in the wrong and decided to swear and hurl abuse at me with other customers around. It's not acceptable.

I even had one customer tell the girl to learn some manners. The customer told her that she is starting **** for no reason and that our store is very friendly, reasonable and safe unlike many other shops around.

We serve our customers as quickly as we can and at the same time converse. We learn a lot from customers and take their views very seriously.

We have only had a few incidents but they only involved young people.

Personally, I saved the store their license, my criminal record and £5K, when undercover police sent a young boy to buy some cigarettes. I ID'd him and he left. The customer behind showed me his police badge and then told me that they planned an undercover transaction. They complimented me and told me to continue like this.

ReputationRep:
    Some people find it insulting, especially when they meet the age requirement, and others find it a right pain and nuisance.
    I work in retail myself, and the amount of crap you have to put up with people kicking off and shouting at you over the silliest of things is just part of the job i'm afraid.

In fairness, that customer was just being an idiot and kicking up a fuss, when you were only doing your job.
    Just forget about her and move on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Jean Brodie)
    I get irritated because staff just look at your face and think 'Yep, underage', and don't take into account how you're conducting yourself, or the fact that you're buying a single bottle of wine in a week's food shopping. I have a youngish face but I'm clearly in my mid-twenties, so yeah, I get frustrated.
    What's that got to do with anything? If they think you might be underage and you're trying to buy alcohol then they'll ask for ID. Whether you're buying alcopops or a bottle of wine with loads of food is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetestwave)
    That's where my original story of buying it when I was 12 happened. Maybe they just liked me
    Maybe, but it definitely says on the energy drink cans/bottles, unsuitable for young children and pregnant women. Also unsuitable for people sensitive to caffeine.

I started consuming Red Bull from the age of 15.

Personally, the fizzy Lucozade is an energy drink and yet there are no health warnings.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but it definitely says on the energy drink cans/bottles, unsuitable for young children and pregnant women. Also unsuitable for people sensitive to caffeine.

Personally, the fizzy Lucozade is an energy drink and yet there are no health warnings.
    Yeah, the cans do say that, but it doesn't mean that shops can't sell it to those under 16(even if some shops won't), it's just a warning.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, the customer returned today, just showed me her ID and left immediately.

I told her that there at least 6 other people working different shifts.

She was so bloody rude. I didn't assault her, or provoke her and yet she tries and proves a point.

Very contradictive girl. I don't get why this person can't go to store(s) just across the road. They sell the same cigarettes at a cheaper price.

Won't be happy to serve this customer in the near future. Will take a lot to change my mind. She was in the wrong and decided to swear and hurl abuse at me with other customers around. It's not acceptable.

I even had one customer tell the girl to learn some manners. The customer told her that she is starting **** for no reason and that our store is very friendly, reasonable and safe unlike many other shops around.

We serve our customers as quickly as we can and at the same time converse. We learn a lot from customers and take their views very seriously.

We have only had a few incidents but they only involved young people.

Personally, I saved the store their license, my criminal record and £5K, when undercover police sent a young boy to buy some cigarettes. I ID'd him and he left. The customer behind showed me his police badge and then told me that they planned an undercover transaction. They complimented me and told me to continue like this.
    The same sort of thing happens to a lot of cashiers, it's happened to me but it's just a fact of life that people never empathise with people behind tills and kick off. It's happened to me and I had Eastern European men ****ging me off in their language all because I ca';t accept Polish ID cards, not pleasant but all part of the job really :/

ReputationRep:

It's all to do with the caffeine content. Pregnant women are advised to cut back on caffeine intake and children are likely to be more sensitive to caffeine.

ReputationRep:
    When I was 16 I tried to buy non alcoholic beer just to see if she ided me and she did, saying it was still brewed with alcohol, I just laughed and said go put it back on the shelf then, is there a limit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    cool story bro, needs more dragons n ****

ReputationRep:
    I remember my 24 year old friend being asked for ID at 1pm on a Sunday going into a Wetherspoons with me and my parents. She said she didn't have any but we were only going for lunch and they said they couldn't let her in. Eventually my mum said fine well can I go use the disabled toilet (she is actually disabled) before we go find somewhere else to eat lunch did the bouncer say we could go in as long as neither me nor my friend went to the bar or we'd all be thrown out. And I had my ID on me and had shown it to the bouncer!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I also work in a shop and get so many customers who have a go at you for IDing. Mostly I get 'call the manager, I've been served before'.
    How do they expect you to remember them? Ok, in smaller shops you might do; but if you work in somewhere like Sainsburys, you probably won't remember them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How do they expect you to remember them? Ok, in smaller shops you might do; but if you work in somewhere like Sainsburys, you probably won't remember them.
    Surprising how often I get this in my job at a pub. Dude, I see 100's of 18-25 year olds every week. It's like 'Dude, can you really blame me if I served you two week ago and I forgot your face'

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Tw1x)
    Surprising how often I get this in my job at a pub. Dude, I see 100's of 18-25 year olds every week. It's like 'Dude, can you really blame me if I served you two week ago and I forgot your fact?'
    This. And I only volunteered in a small charity shop for a few years. (No alcohol, but age certificate videos/DVDs etc.) Unless they were an extremely regular or memorable customer, I was highly unlikely to remember what anyone looked like. Though, I am terrible at remembering names and faces anyway, but meh.

I seriously don't understand the indignation of 18/19 year olds when they get ID'd. I'm 23, still get ID'd pretty much every time I buy alcohol, and just hand it over. Simples.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by treasureBelle)

I seriously don't understand the indignation of 18/19 year olds when they get ID'd. I'm 23, still get ID'd pretty much every time I buy alcohol, and just hand it over. Simples.
    Same. Is it me, or do older people (sorry, those of us in our 20s) seem to take it as a compliment; but the younger ones seem to not be too happy about getting id'd?

I know I will get id'd; so tend to hand it over when I hand my money over.

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's exactly why we have that policy. Sometimes I think the people must be stupid. One girl even said once 'okay fine I'm going to get my passport photocopied and then have it here permanently.' I had to explain to her that a) a photocopy wouldn't be valid ID and b) if we did that for her then we would be expected to do that for everyone - imagine how long that would take if you had to find the right photocopy each time for the customer. She clearly had no brains.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.