Count your heart rate for 15 seconds then multiply by 4 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Mine seems to be the same. How wonderful. We have this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradycardia

Though I go to the gym, so that might be one reason why mines low
    :O though I go swimming a lot and swim pretty intensively

ReputationRep:
    Standard medical OSCE exams expect you to count to 30 and double it, never 15 secs and quadruple it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    80 plus or minus 4. I've been sitting down for at least half an hour, not doing anything in the least bit interesting. It's an improvement on the last time I measured my heart rate though - 105 resting rate while in hospital ftl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    That's almost certainly the reason.

Heart rate has to slow down if you're not breathing to preserve oxygen in the body. If you're a regular swimmer, your body naturally adapts to less oxygen.

I used to do long-distance running and other sports, similar boat.

Pretty sure you are not a health risk.

ReputationRep:
    Is low heart rate related to low b/p?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Yep, all the pulses you can feel are arteries (besides feeling the heart itself of course).
    That's what I meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    It's only calibrated to take a pulse from a finger. I've tried other veins etc and they are all inaccurate there. Use it as it says.
    The app you speak of is not calibrated at all, very unreliable and only capilaries exist in the finger. The whole detection method is a complete flaw. Please don't use it as an accurate read out, because it's not. It is far more accurate to count off over 60 seconds from a big artery, such as the femoral or carotid.

ReputationRep:

Ooh this is pretty cool:

http://www.healthstatus.com/health_b...han-you-think/

I guess this works in my favour massively, as I've had like 3(?) panic attacks now (which helps increase your heart rate) Still have a bit of fat to go for me, but according to that Im in pretty good shape

ReputationRep:
    80. Checked twice, same result.

ReputationRep:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    The app you speak of is not calibrated at all, very unreliable and only capilaries exist in the finger. The whole detection method is a complete flaw. Please don't use it as an accurate read out, because it's not. It is far more accurate to count off over 60 seconds from a big artery, such as the femoral or carotid.
    It's accurate, at least for me, and it takes a bit of time to know how to use it properly. It gives me the same heart rate as taking it by finger, and the same as a doctor taking it (either by hand or machine).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Ooh this is pretty cool:

http://www.healthstatus.com/health_b...han-you-think/

I guess this works in my favour massively, as I've had like 3(?) panic attacks now (which helps increase your heart rate) Still have a bit of fat to go for me, but according to that Im in pretty good shape
    pretty cool, I've never had a panic attack though :O not have I ever fainted before :/

ReputationRep:
    pretty cool, I've never had a panic attack though :O not have I ever fainted before :/
    You don't ever want one. Feel's like the world is ending.

ReputationRep:
    You don't ever want one. Feel's like the world is ending.
    :O I've wanted one though just to see how it feels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    52 - much lower than others, is that bad?
    Edit: even when I've got it professionally checked its that too :///

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily. Some people are perfectly healthy with low heart rates. If you exercise a lot then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Wikipedia says that it isn't usually symptomatic until you get to below 50bpm, but even then it is possible to be just very healthy. Elite Athletes have bpms around 40 and the GWR for lowest heart rate in a healthy human is 27bpm.

Edit: I forgot, mine was properly tested a few weeks ago, and at rest it is 70. Although I can probably get it below 70 as I haven't been doing much exercise recently and need to get fitter.

ReputationRep:
    :O I've wanted one though just to see how it feels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well then, just trust me when I say you don't.

ReputationRep:
    68 bpm

Surely counting for a minute is more accurate :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Not necessarily. Some people are perfectly healthy with low heart rates. If you exercise a lot then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Wikipedia says that it isn't usually symptomatic until you get to below 50bpm, but even then it is possible to be just very healthy. Elite Athletes have bpms around 40 and the GWR for lowest heart rate in a healthy human is 27bpm.

Edit: I forgot, mine was properly tested a few weeks ago, and at rest it is 70.
    Your right, I go swimming frequently and use the gym quite a lot too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well then, just trust me when I say you don't.
    awww

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim2341)
    To get your beats per minute..

What is your bpm?
    56 :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.