Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You're a GCSE student? :rofl:

Now I see why your views and arguments are so naive.

(Original post by maskofsanity)
    Clearly, as you worked it out.

How was that your point? You asked an irrelevant question about CCTV in private property in order to try and refute my response (which you failed) and now you are returning to arguing against CCTV cameras in public areas. Make up your mind.
    I used it as an example as the intrusion of my private life

It doesn't matter if a bystander has their image captured - what harm is that to anyone? Are you that camera shy that you are concerned of an image beng taken of you? What is more important - your camera shyness or the safety of the public? Would you rather be beaten and mugged on CCTV so that the criminal is caught or beaten and mugged with no repercussions? Do you actually think the state's security cares about - or even looks at - innocent bystanders? Funnily enough their eyes are on the suspect.
    How do you not know that? I could be dragged into something as a witness (which has happened to me, actually) which I do not want to be involved with nor know anything about, however without my permission they managed to locate me and approach me for swomething I couldn't even remember happened and I wasn't even involved with. Now, I don't know about you but if I thought I had valid evidence that would amount to something I would have stepped forward, but I didn't. So I regard that as an intrusion of my private life even though I was a bystander my name is on the database. Funnily enough, their eyes are not always on the suspect.

You're a GCSE student? :rofl:

Now I see why your views and arguments are so naive.
    You're looking down on me because of age in an environment which caters for all? I am responding with well thought out posts and you reply with a prejudiced comment based on what you think are my lack of intellectual capabilities. Why is this? Because of a few more years to your name means political maturity? Not in all cases my friend, maybe in your world but not here.

Who's the **** now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MacDaddi)
    I used it as an example as the intrusion of my private life
    It's not an example because there are no state CCTV cameras in homes. How are you not getting this?

How do you not know that? I could be dragged into something as a witness (which has happened to me, actually) which I do not want to be involved with nor know anything about, however without my permission they managed to locate me and approach me for swomething I couldn't even remember happened and I wasn't even involved with. Now, I don't know about you but if I thought I had valid evidence that would amount to something I would have stepped forward, but I didn't. So I regard that as an intrusion of my private life even though I was a bystander my name is on the database. Funnily enough, their eyes are not always on the suspect.
    Anecdotal evidence that I do not care for.

Their eyes were on the suspect and they used a perfectly reasonable tool to try and locate him/her. Stop whining and grow up.

ReputationRep:
    You're looking down on me because of age in an environment which caters for all? I am responding with well thought out posts and you reply with a prejudiced comment based on what you think are my lack of intellectual capabilities. Why is this? Because of a few more years to your name means political maturity? Not in all cases my friend, maybe in your world but not here.

Who's the **** now
    Your responses are poor at best and you clearly have little experience in life. I also never called anyone a **** so your last sentence is curious.

It's not an example because there are no state CCTV cameras in homes. How are you not getting this?

Anecdotal evidence that I do not care for.

Their eyes were on the suspect and they used a perfectly reasonable tool to try and locate him/her. Stop whining and grow up.
    Im using it as an example of state intrusion on my private life.

Oh right okay nice response, I provided a justification for ny viewpoint on how I was affected but that means im whining and immature. Nice one

Your responses are poor at best and you clearly have little experience in life. I also never called anyone a **** so your last sentence is curious.
    why are they poor? Because they don't coincide with your beliefs? I believe I have made
    Made every attempt to explain my reasonings behind my viewpoints but it seems as if you are listening to what im saying. And making reference to a factor such as age prejudicing your idea of. How much life experience somebody has had, oh what a sophisticated argument you are putting forward. You know nothing about me so its silly to make judgments like that isn't it now?

ReputationRep:
    x
    x
    You don't seem to be getting closer to resolving your disagreement so can I suggest you both leave it now? This is getting more and more like the problems we had in the MHOC before with people forgetting about the real reasons we do this (i.e. for fun).

Sorry to sound a bit of an idiot but it's depressing to see people just trading insults :/

Yeah sounds like a plan, id like to spare him an embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    Im using it as an example of state intrusion on my private life.
    For the third time, there are no state CCTV cameras in private homes.

Yeah sounds like a plan, id like to spare him an embarrassment.
    Oh dear :rofl:

For the third time, there are no state CCTV cameras in private homes.

Oh dear :rofl:
    where did I say they were? I consider cameras in public areas as much an intrusion as cameras in my home would be, what's so hard to understand?

You're the one who brought age into it I wouldn't exactly call that a mature thing to do :rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    where did I say they were? I consider cameras in public areas as much an intrusion as cameras in my home would be, what's so hard to understand?

You're the one who brought age into it I wouldn't exactly call that a mature thing to do :rofl:
    Why should people expect absolute privacy in public areas?

(Original post by JPKC)
    Why should people expect absolute privacy in public areas?
    They don't give their consent do they? However you cannot expect complete privacy as it is impossible.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    They don't give their consent do they? However you cannot expect complete privacy as it is impossible.
    I think it's unreasonable to expect such a level of privacy in areas that are ultimately part of the public domain. When I'm sat in my bedroom, as I am now, I agree that it would be entirely unreasonable for another person or entity to subject me to any arbitrary interference that breaches the right I have to seclusion and personal privacy. However, when I step outside onto the street I believe I am giving tacit consent for other people to become an audience to my actions. Everything I do in a public area is open to public viewing - how do surveillance cameras breach my right to privacy when they are filming a public area that I have chosen to enter of my own volition?

(Original post by JPKC)
    I think it's unreasonable to expect such a level of privacy in areas that are ultimately part of the public domain. When I'm sat in my bedroom, as I am now, I agree that it would be entirely unreasonable for another person or entity to subject me to any arbitrary interference that breaches the right I have to seclusion and personal privacy. However, when I step outside onto the street I believe I am giving tacit consent for other people to become an audience to my actions. Everything I do in a public area is open to public viewing - how do surveillance cameras breach my right to privacy when they are filming a public area that I have chosen to enter of my own volition?
    It's a matter of viewpoints isnt it. You are entering of your won free will but to what? To who? You don't know

ReputationRep:
    My party is the party party... our slogan is "party!".

Sabrina reference anyone?

(Sorry for the spam, I'll leave now.)

(Original post by therisenmitten)
    My party is the party party... our slogan is "party!".

Sabrina reference anyone?

(Sorry for the spam, I'll leave now.)
    Stay, and party. Party! Party now! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Tories cos we have the best looking cabinet and no funny names like Balls hahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Low tax and small government would be the main points.

I'd also like to take inspiration from the republican government of Ancient Rome. It allowed powerful men to work for the benefit of the state whilst having policies to curb their ambition.

I know that broke down eventually but it lasted about 500 years!
    Hi Jacob,

Interesting thread that you have set up - I'll be sure to keep looking into this forum.

The problem with Britain at the moment, I don't think, is with high taxation - as much as it is a problem with wasteful and uneconomical spending on irrelevant things. Swede's (word for people from Sweden, I think? Correct me if I'm wrong...) don't complain about high taxes (where 70% of income is spent on it) because their infrastructure is far, far better than what we have at the moment.

Health care and schools for example are supposedly better in Sweden, because Sweden has an attitude of high taxation to offer us high value. By itself tax isn't a bad thing. Nobody likes to pay it of course - but for the those wanting lower taxation - Who will be the losers in this? Where will the money come from to pay for schools, hospitals and the likes?

You the taxpayer. If less money is being spent, it results in cuts - Ala what the coalition is doing now. Low taxation is good - if it's managed properly. But, certainly in the last few years, the Labour party has been on a tax and spend binge with us taxpayers and offered very little in return for it - paving the way for the Tory party to clean up the mess Labour left us in. Instead, we have high taxes and a lot of wasteful spending.

In this scenario, Labour lost the election partly because of it's thoroughly uncharismatic leader - and partly because the Conservatives are, just like they did in the 1980s, dragging it's heels to save an economy Labour screwed over.

High taxes is good if we get better value for money. Low taxes is also good so we can cut the bureaucracy and wasteful spending, on an understanding that less spending, less value, more personal responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrow.7)
    Labour Party, lesser of 3 evils...
    HAHAHAHA! Good one! :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.