Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    grrrrr I'm getting that AQA "how the hell am I supposed to know that!?" vibe from some of these past papers
    I'm doing maths tomorrow so I wont be able to make some generic questions (of which there dont seem to be that many)

Main obvious ones they like to say are:
    What is meant by enantiomer?
    -Isomers whose structures are non superimposable
    -Mirror images of each other

What is meant by cis/trans (E/Z)
    -Two different functional groups on each C=C Carbon
    -Lack of free rotation about C=C bond

What happens when a polymer softens?
    -Intermolecular bonds break (may have to name depending on Q)
    -Chains seperate and,
    -Can slide over each other

Why are enzymes useful in industry?
    -Speed up reaction rate
    -Reduce number of steps
    -Improve atom economy
    -Easier to seperate
    -Can be reused/recycled

On mass spec. when it says species responsible for peak remember to put a plus charge on the molecule!

Colorimetery seems to come up frequently but a generic answer for that is in the doc I posted earlier Make sure you say filter of complimentary colour as 'suitable filter' starts getting rejected around 2012 papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    Totally agree; and likewise, I made such stupid silly errors! It's hard to prepare for the exam pressure though, so you really can't do nothing about it but just try and adapt to it. Unfortunately it's just part of exams tbh.

Defiantly, the more chemistry one does the more (it hurts!) it gets ingrained into ones' head. I've done F332 as well, so I've been tortured by chemistry these past few months Hopefully it'll be all worth it
    I did F332 as well haha though i'm so glad I did because it definitely helped with F335 and its random synoptic stuff like the radical 4 marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jlane5000)
    I did F332 as well haha though i'm so glad I did because it definitely helped with F335 and its random synoptic stuff like the radical 4 marker
    Yah! Looking back at F332, it seems such a baby compared to A2! I smiled throughout that question... Then that smile quickly turned into a frown when I saw question 5

ReputationRep:
    This exam is such a dreamboat after doing F335! So nice!

ReputationRep:
    ey I have a question to ask about the chemistry coursework. I received 35/45 for my coursework and I really believe that I deserved more than that. The teacher who marked my work is very strict and he is the sort of teacher who has favorites and he really doesn't like me. Prior to handing in my coursework I gave it to another teacher and she said my coursework looked really good and looked like it was going to get high marks. I have also received As in all my chem exams so far.

Do you think that my mark can be increased if it is chosen for moderation by the exam board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolate102030)
    ey I have a question to ask about the chemistry coursework. I received 35/45 for my coursework and I really believe that I deserved more than that. The teacher who marked my work is very strict and he is the sort of teacher who has favorites and he really doesn't like me. Prior to handing in my coursework I gave it to another teacher and she said my coursework looked really good and looked like it was going to get high marks. I have also received As in all my chem exams so far.

Do you think that my mark can be increased if it is chosen for moderation by the exam board?
    The harsh truth is that most likely you'll recieve the mark that your teacher gave you. From what I've read and heard, it's very rare for moderation to raise marks; if at all it changes marks, it's usually to lower them.

I can understand how you feel. I was promised an A, but found out at the end of May that they had scaled it out down to a B. In effect, they had lied to me.

Sadly, there's very little you can do this about it. Best thing to do is to have focused on your exams, as they do have the overall heavier weighting. It's another really, really annoying aspect of Salters; but hey ho, thus is the nature of A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yah! Looking back at F332, it seems such a baby compared to A2! I smiled throughout that question... Then that smile quickly turned into a frown when I saw question 5
    Not sure why you got negged for that :confused: i've given you too many rep's recently so can't positive rep it to cancel it out. How's the revision for this going? My head is ready to burst with all the chemistry i've overloaded it with over the last month

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why you got negged for that :confused: i've given you too many rep's recently so can't positive rep it to cancel it out. How's the revision for this going? My head is ready to burst with all the chemistry i've overloaded it with over the last month
    Lol, cheers for all the pos reps! Silent neggers on TSR are quite amusing tbh

Aha, it's exactly the way I feel! I'm very confident for this exam, as I've done the past papers since 2006 4 times now (I've literally destroyed a tree!) and feel that all my knowledge is secure; I'm gonna go over the biochemistry stuff as that seems to trip me up. Hope your revision is going well!

I literally can't wait to file away all my chemistry notes. It's been so painful regurgitating stuff that I learnt way back in September, but hey ho, I deserve that for not doing well in Jan. Alas, by Wednesday 10:30, the horrors and terrors of A-Level Chemistry will be all over!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonnbbb)
    Does anyone have the jan 2013 paper?
    January Paper.pdf
    January MS.pdf

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/76549-u...s-specimen.pdf
    Q4 b(i), (ii) and (iii).

And then the following tricky Q's please

Jan 12 -
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/79818-q...-materials.pdf

Q1 (d) (iii) and (iv)

I'm struggling with all the above, i have tried to understand them but i need the steps broken down in a methodical way. Please can someone help me
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Lol, cheers for all the pos reps! Silent neggers on TSR are quite amusing tbh

Aha, it's exactly the way I feel! I'm very confident for this exam, as I've done the past papers since 2006 4 times now (I've literally destroyed a tree!) and feel that all my knowledge is secure; I'm gonna go over the biochemistry stuff as that seems to trip me up. Hope your revision is going well!

I literally can't wait to file away all my chemistry notes. It's been so painful regurgitating stuff that I learnt way back in September, but hey ho, I deserve that for not doing well in Jan. Alas, by Wednesday 10:30, the horrors and terrors of A-Level Chemistry will be all over!
    EEEEKKK can't wait for 10:30 wednesday

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

Why do you not get hydrogen bonding in an alcohol such as butan-1-ol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmonidae)
    Hey guys.

you would do wouldn't you ? why wouldn't you/? ahhh

from chemguide: The higher boiling point of the butan-1-ol is due to the additional hydrogen bonding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmonidae)
    Hey guys.

You do get hydrogen bonding in alcohols due to the polarised O-H group, there must be more to the question, which question is it?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me with Standard Electrode potentials?

This half equation: Fe(s) <---> Fe2+(aq) + 2e-
    Has a standard electrode potential value of +0.44V

Does this mean that the reverse reaction of: Fe2+(aq) + 2e- <---> Fe(s)

Will have a standard electrode potential value of -0.44V?

ReputationRep:
    You do get hydrogen bonding in alcohols due to the polarised O-H group, there must be more to the question, which question is it?
    Oh wait i just misread the question thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    heyy, can anybody explain to me the order of reaction in simple ways and how it is second order and not first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivaviolin77)
    heyy, can anybody explain to me the order of reaction in simple ways and how it is second order and not first
    Yeah sure,
    From graph:
    the half life for first order is constant, whereas for second order the half life increases as the reaction proceeds

From experimental details:
    For first order, as one of the reactants is doubled, when all the others are kept the same, and the rate doubles then its FIRST ORDER
    For second order, as one of the reactants is doubled, when all the others are kept the same, and the rate quadruples then its SECOND ORDER

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.