Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
  • View Poll Results: Which accommodation are you applying for?
    Norwood House
    12.24%
    Eastwood
    14.29%
    Westwood
    8.16%
    Polden Court
    7.48%
    Brendon Court
    0.68%
    Marlborough/Solsbury Court
    40.14%
    Woodland Court
    11.56%
    Osborne House
    2.04%
    John Wood
    2.72%
    Carpenter
    0.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101101)
    Just got in before woodland was removed

I missed it!

Going for Norwood instead

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that it opened on the 3rd so I missed the scrap for Marlborough/Solsbury etc. went for Norwood instead, should be nice and central in the uni

ReputationRep:
    When you view your application, under state, what does awaiting verification mean?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all - I'm a first year currently living in Norwood. Let me know if you have any questions. I know a little in other accommodations too, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    It's your full name in initials, followed by a two-digit number which is random, as far as I'm aware.
    I know people with 3 digit numbers *smartarse* I assume it's chronological. My number is 22, which would mean 21 people with my initials have had BUCS usernames before me.

In general, the more names you put into UCAS the lower the number. I have three initials then 22. Most of my two initial friends have three digit email addresses.

ETA: really mature whoever negged me. I'm the kind of person who worries about everything and if I saw a post from someone talking about how everyone has a 2-digit number and I had a 3 digit number I'd worry that it meant something strange. Of course, it doesn't, but I'd still worry over it. The whole reason pre-freshers come on here is to find out as much as they can so there are fewer unknowns and fewer things to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiav94)
    i still have to wait for edinburgh to get back to me before i firm bath, but, does anyone know if polden is far away from the french of politics building?
    It's very close. Not that anything is far on our campus! Also you won't have that much stuff actually in the department building. So far this year I've had 3 seminars and a film screening in the department building, the rest are mostly in 3WN or 8W (don't worry, I know those mean nothing to you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    Also, you have to pay £50(?) a week regardless of whether or not you eat that much. I'm sure a lot of people don't spend that much on food.
    Yep, £50. I think I probably could spend that much if I were having breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day from the campus outlets, but I wouldn't. I generally spend about £35 on food to include drinks and snacks that I buy 'out'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mum of 3)
    Could I please ask ... What happens on results day in August re accommodation? Once you receive your results do you then have to contact the university?
    Just planning ahead
    Thanks in advance
    It's all done automatically and you will get a contract emailed to you within a week or two after results day. Mine arrived on September 5th which was very late. (my department had a computer issue)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    I know people with 3 digit numbers *smartarse* I assume it's chronological. My number is 22, which would mean 21 people with my initials have had BUCS usernames before me.

In general, the more names you put into UCAS the lower the number. I have three initials then 22. Most of my two initial friends have three digit email addresses.
    Lol chill out. What does it matter anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Hey all - I'm a first year currently living in Norwood. Let me know if you have any questions. I know a little in other accommodations too, obviously.

Norwood is my first choice.

I didn't get a chance to look around it, going on purely pictures from the bath website. How're all the rooms? Is there a common room of sorts? What's your opinion of it compared to accommodation such as westwood/eastwood?

ReputationRep:

Can't be, I have five initials and then 22. There's no way that many people have the same five initials.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by How)

I didn't get a chance to look around it, going on purely pictures from the bath website. How're all the rooms? Is there a common room of sorts? What's your opinion of it compared to accommodation such as westwood/eastwood?
    Norwood is the most recently renovated, I think, but it's got a pretty institutional feel to it. It's in the tower above the SU bar & club, so you don't get a green area to hang out at and the nightclub noise might be an issue if you live on the lower floors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by How)

I love it. The rooms are, I think, the biggest of all the non- ensuite accommodation, which is a bonus! Each flat has an enormous kitchen, and there's also a 'social space' which all flats can access and which leads to the laundrette. Oh and also the rooms are really well designed. My friend in Solsbury doesn't have any plugs by his bed or a reading lamp. We have built in reading lamps and plug sockets by the bed, by the mirror, and by the desk. Also I can get to loads of places on campus without going outside. Very useful if it's raining!
    I think I have a much better deal than Westwood!

Edit: the above post talks about the noise issue. I'm in the lowest level of rooms in Norwood and the noise isn't an issue for me. I barely notice it, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    Can't be, I have five initials and then 22. There's no way that many people have the same five initials.
    Intake of about 3,000 per year, probably around 15,000 or more applicants per year each with a BUCS username.... it could happen.

ReputationRep:
    I love it. The rooms are, I think, the biggest of all the non- ensuite accommodation, which is a bonus! Each flat has an enormous kitchen, and there's also a 'social space' which all flats can access and which leads to the laundrette. Oh and also the rooms are really well designed. My friend in Solsbury doesn't have any plugs by his bed or a reading lamp. We have built in reading lamps and plug sockets by the bed, by the mirror, and by the desk. Also I can get to loads of places on campus without going outside. Very useful if it's raining!
    I think I have a much better deal than Westwood!

Edit: the above post talks about the noise issue. I'm in the lowest level of rooms in Norwood and the noise isn't an issue for me. I barely notice it, to be honest.
    Thankyou

I doubt noise would be an issue for me either, i've spent most of my life being able to sleep with a lot of noise outside so meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by How)
    Thankyou

I doubt noise would be an issue for me either, i've spent most of my life being able to sleep with a lot of noise outside so meh
    I grew up nearly in the countryside but I also spent time living in Poplar, London, where there are sirens all night - so I was used to that before I moved in here!

ReputationRep:
    Also I can get to loads of places on campus without going outside.
    Can you get to 9W?

ReputationRep:
    Can you get to 9W?
    There's a 9W?
    (so, maybe, I don't know!)

ReputationRep:
    There's a 9W?
    (so, maybe, I don't know!)
    I hope so as that's where it says my department is.

ReputationRep:
    I hope so as that's where it says my department is.
    The campus is organised around the library, the lower the number, the closer it is. Then the even numbers are on the south side of Parade, and odd numbers on the north. And obviously W = west, E = east :lol:

So 9W would be on the northern side of parade, towards the western-most end. Norwood is located at the eastern end, so you'd have to go outside unless you went right down and walked through the undercroft where the delivery vehicles and service areas are

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.